Big 10 Breakout Players for 2021-22

Now that we have a clearer picture on who's coming back this year, I thought it would be fun to identify players who have a "breakout" year and might be All Big 10 selections or show significant improvement...I excluded incoming freshmen because that hard to predict...but here's who I have based on what I saw last year...

Michigan-Brandon Johns 

Illinois-Andre Curbelo 

Iowa-Keegan Murray 

Purdue-Mason Gillis 

Ohio State-Meechie Johnson 

Rutgers-Paul Mulcahy 

Maryland-Donta Scott 

Michigan State-AJ Hoggard 

Indiana-Jordan Geronimo 

Penn State-Seth Lundy 

Northwestern-Ty Berry 

Minnesota-Isaiah Ihnen 

Nebraska-Lat Mayen 

Wisconsin-Tyler Wahl

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Now that we have a clearer picture on who's coming back this year, I thought it would be fun to identify players who have a "breakout" year and might be All Big 10 selections or show significant improvement...I excluded incoming freshmen because that hard to predict...but here's who I have based on what I saw last year...

Michigan-Brandon Johns 

Illinois-Andre Curbelo 

Iowa-Keegan Murray 

Purdue-Mason Gillis 

Rutgers-Paul Mulcahy 

Maryland-Donta Scott 

Indiana-Jordan Geronimo 

Penn State-Seth Lundy 

Northwestern-Ty Berry 

Minnesota-Isaiah Ihnen 

Nebraska-Lat Mayen 

Wisconsin-Tyler Wahl

Gillis breaking out of jail?  :coffee:

https://www.wibc.com/news/local-indiana/purdue-basketball-player-arrested-for-drunk-driving/

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Michigan-Brandon Johns 

Illinois-Andre Curbelo 

Iowa-Keegan Murray 

Purdue-Mason Gillis 

Rutgers-Paul Mulcahy 

Maryland-Donta Scott 

Indiana-Jordan Geronimo 

Penn State-Seth Lundy 

Northwestern-Ty Berry 

Minnesota-Isaiah Ihnen 

Nebraska-Lat Mayen 

Wisconsin-Tyler Wahl

I like your list other then Geronimo for IU. I think Lander is going to show why he was so highly rated. In my opinion i don't think he should have ever reclassified, he just wasn't ready. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I like your list other then Geronimo for IU. I think Lander is going to show why he was so highly rated. In my opinion i don't think he should have ever reclassified, he just wasn't ready. 

The two toughest calls were Lander/Geronimo and Tyler Wahl and Jonathan Davis of Wisconsin..

I like Joe Toussaint of Iowa too, but as long as Connor McCaffrey is around, he's not gonna get a lot of time...

• Like 2

That’s a darn good list.  Very well thought out.  Let’s hope IU ends up with multiple guys who do in fact break out.  I’m hoping for Lander.  I do like Geronimo too, and hopefully he’s refining his game.  He was very raw last year.  His potential on both ends is considerable.  I think how big of a step he takes will be quite telling about his career trajectory.   Big off-season for IU.  They do have that trip coming up which gives them practices and an opportunity to develop against competition.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s a darn good list.  Very well thought out.  Let’s hope IU ends up with multiple guys who do in fact break out.  I’m hoping for Lander.  I do like Geronimo too, and hopefully he’s refining his game.  He was very raw last year.  His potential on both ends is considerable.  I think how big of a step he takes will be quite telling about his career trajectory.   Big off-season for IU.  They do have that trip coming up which gives them practices and an opportunity to develop against competition.  

I hope all 4 freshmen from last year make great strides. I picked Geronimo based on a few things...the determination and moxie he showed guarding the B1G and National POY and holding his own, the nose he has for the ball, and good form and a confidence in his outside shot. 

One thing I did notice in some of the videos I've seen this preseason...Lander looks MUCH bigger in the upper body. That bodes well, as I think he was overmatched strength wise on the defensive end a few times last year. The added strength should help going to the basket as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Illinois has a guy, Austin Hutcherson. Transferred in from D3, sat out a season and then had back issues (from a car accident in HS) and missed another season. Yet there are people who insist he is a likely starter. Not sure I buy it but would be a pretty amazing story if it happened.

Your pick of Curbelo is more sensible, though I also think Trent Frazier will increase his offense quite a bit with Ayo no longer around.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Illinois has a guy, Austin Hutcherson. Transferred in from D3, sat out a season and then had back issues (from a car accident in HS) and missed another season. Yet there are people who insist he is a likely starter. Not sure I buy it but would be a pretty amazing story if it happened.

Your pick of Curbelo is more sensible, though I also think Trent Frazier will increase his offense quite a bit with Ayo no longer around.

If Curbelo cuts his turnovers in half or finds a jumper he will have a fabulous year.....a big IF.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

If Curbelo cuts his turnovers in half or finds a jumper he will have a fabulous year.....a big IF.

I don't know that the shooting is such a "big IF", he is a pretty good FT shooter which means he has the form. Turnovers should be better just be being a soph but he's always going to have some just because it's part of his game.

3 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

I don't know that the shooting is such a "big IF", he is a pretty good FT shooter which means he has the form. Turnovers should be better just be being a soph but he's always going to have some just because it's part of his game.

That's funny...

You can't say this about many players in the B1G, but Khristian Lander (27%)had a much better 3 point percentage than Curbelo (16%)...

As @dgambill said, he needs an outside shot... Big difference between FT form and jump shot form... 

• Like 4

On 7/19/2021 at 8:15 PM, IUFLA said:

That's funny...

You can't say this about many players in the B1G, but Khristian Lander (27%)had a much better 3 point percentage than Curbelo (16%)...

As @dgambill said, he needs an outside shot... Big difference between FT form and jump shot form... 

Oh I agree he needs it and think he will have it. I saw a number of his HS games where he made multiple 3s. He's capable.