High School Hoops '21-'22

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Never too early to talk high school hoops.  I saw an early draft of the Silver Creek schedule today and it has Milan on it.  At Creek though.  Hope it's a home and home and we go up there next season.  

I grew up in KY so I don’t know the IN HS scene. Is Milan still as small as it was portrayed in Hoosiers? They typically have good basketball?

48 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I grew up in KY so I don’t know the IN HS scene. Is Milan still as small as it was portrayed in Hoosiers? They typically have good basketball?

They are in Class 2A, with 4A being the largest.  For the most part, I would say the basketball results for the last 30 years or so have been mixed.  Some okay teams, but no deep state tournament runs.

Their accomplishment will never be replicated, class basketball aside.  There is such a huge enrollment gap now that no small school could even dream of making it through an entire state tournament with the number of mega schools they would have to beat. 

Can a talented small school win in a one off setting against a mega school?  Maybe one time out of 20.  Could they do that multiple times over the course of 4 weeks to win State?  Not a chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I grew up a few miles from Milan, not like it was in 54 but still very small town and like most 2A schools very up and down. 1 or 2 good athletes make a big difference for all sports programs of their size. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

They are in Class 2A, with 4A being the largest.  For the most part, I would say the basketball results for the last 30 years or so have been mixed.  Some okay teams, but no deep state tournament runs.

Their accomplishment will never be replicated, class basketball aside.  There is such a huge enrollment gap now that no small school could even dream of making it through an entire state tournament with the number of mega schools they would have to beat. 

Can a talented small school win in a one off setting against a mega school?  Maybe one time out of 20.  Could they do that multiple times over the course of 4 weeks to win State?  Not a chance.

Are my Wildcats the last small school to make the FF in a one class system?

But anyway I looked at our opponents in the tournament for that year('91).

Sectionals

FW Blackhawk  79-53

Manchester  76-65

Regionals

FW South  75-72

New Haven  73-72

Semistate

LaPorte  87-73

Marion  67-58

State

Gary Roosevelt  53-83

And with that, Whitko's small school powerhouse status slowly disappeared.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, rico said:

Are my Wildcats the last small school to make the FF in a one class system?

But anyway I looked at our opponents in the tournament for that year('91).

Sectionals

FW Blackhawk  79-53

Manchester  76-65

Regionals

FW South  75-72

New Haven  73-72

Semistate

LaPorte  87-73

Marion  67-58

State

Gary Roosevelt  53-83

And with that, Whitko's small school powerhouse status slowly disappeared.  

Probably about impossible now given all the consolidating but I do think before it ended it's possible a smaller school could have gotten a fortunate draw with a couple upsets along the way to set them up for a chance. Perfect storm if you will. The hard part about much of it for a small school is playing two games in the same day. They typically don't have deep benches or are heavily dependent on a couple players to do most of the scoring on the offensive end and simply get worn down by bigger schools who have deeper benches and can focus attention to the key players. But it wouldn't shocked me completely especially at the smaller city schools/private to have a few parents send their kids to play together etc that it could certainly still happen.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Probably about impossible now given all the consolidating but I do think before it ended it's possible a smaller school could have gotten a fortunate draw with a couple upsets along the way to set them up for a chance. Perfect storm if you will. The hard part about much of it for a small school is playing two games in the same day. They typically don't have deep benches or are heavily dependent on a couple players to do most of the scoring on the offensive end and simply get worn down by bigger schools who have deeper benches and can focus attention to the key players. But it wouldn't shocked me completely especially at the smaller city schools/private to have a few parents send their kids to play together etc that it could certainly still happen.

Well apparently we did in '91...until we ran into the "Big Dog." 

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

Well apparently we did in '91...until we ran into the "Big Dog." 

Oh no doubt...several runs by smaller schools....not sure it is possible in 2020 but 20 and 30 years ago for sure. I just think the gap has widened but when I graduated as the last class to play in a single class championship I honestly felt like we could play with any team in the state...and we were about as small as any 1A school there is (I graduated with 31 kids in my class).

I remember that new haven game like it was yesterday. Having been on the court up by 1 with a few seconds left.  Embarrassing to admit how often that loss crosses my mind 30 years later.  All due respect, that whitko team was a well coached and a great passing team.  Much more than just nicodemus. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Threedom said:

I remember that new haven game like it was yesterday. Having been on the court up by 1 with a few seconds left.  Embarrassing to admit how often that loss crosses my mind 30 years later.  All due respect, that whitko team was a well coached and a great passing team.  Much more than just nicodemus. 

I was just a freshman spectator, but that game was a roller coaster of emotions at the end. That tourney run was epic, especially the big win over North Side. Have to believe there was a good chance you guys could've made a similar run to Whitko's, but they sealed the deal. Cheers and thanks for the memories. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, rico said:

I guess I need to wake up.  

Well, I had to look for him as well.  Part of the issue is that I expected to find Essegian in the Top 25, not the Second 25.  But, as I said in my original post, his rankings can be questionable at times.   He states he rates player based on college potential.  Yet, Essegian has committed to Wisconsin.  How many of those ahead of him are going to land at a Power 5?  I remember he was very, very slow to move Trey Kaufman up in his rankings, even after all of the National sites did.

What I do like about the site though is that it gives me names from other parts of the state to follow who I may not have heard of before.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, I had to look for him as well.  Part of the issue is that I expected to find Essegian in the Top 25, not the Second 25.  But, as I said in my original post, his rankings can be questionable at times.   He states he rates player based on college potential.  Yet, Essegian has committed to Wisconsin.  How many of those ahead of him are going to land at a Power 5?  I remember he was very, very slow to move Trey Kaufman up in his rankings, even after all of the National sited did.

What I do like about the site though is that it gives me names from other parts of the state to follow who I may not have heard of before.

I did notice Baby Catsup on the list...

1 hour ago, rico said:

No Conner Essegian?  Or did I miss him on that list?

Who made that list because it's not the most accurate thing in the world?

Nevermind. The kid I was looking for actually was on the list. Looks like @ricoand I both still need to wake up lol

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Well, I had to look for him as well.  Part of the issue is that I expected to find Essegian in the Top 25, not the Second 25.  But, as I said in my original post, his rankings can be questionable at times.   He states he rates player based on college potential.  Yet, Essegian has committed to Wisconsin.  How many of those ahead of him are going to land at a Power 5?  I remember he was very, very slow to move Trey Kaufman up in his rankings, even after all of the National sites did.

Who is Trey Kaufman?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Who is Trey Kaufman?

Lol.  I actually hesitated to type the name on here.  But, i was trying to make a point about that guys rankings.  And, Trey did go to school with my kids, and helped their school win multiple state championships.  And, I know several in Trey's extended family.

So, despite the Purdue choice, i wish him no ill will.  I still hope Purdue loses every game, but I'm not going to hate on Trey because of his choice.  Honestly, if it was me, I would not have wanted to play for Archie either.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1