High School Hoops '21-'22

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Earlier this week, in Girls basketball, South Bend Washington beat South Bend Riley 110-10.  Washington is very good and Riley is bad.  But, 100 point margin in a 32 minute game?  

https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2021/11/19/girls-basketball-south-bend-washington-100-point-win-over-riley/8656534002/

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

First game of the season tips off tonight. Easily one of the most exciting days and weeks of the year as high school hoops get started in Indiana. 

Not many better places to be than a packed high school gymnasium with the game going down to the wire.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Not many places better to be than a packed high school gymnasium with the game going down to the wire.

That type of environment is amazing. I'm expecting close to a sellout tonight after crowds were limited last year. Should be a good atmosphere for us tonight to get things started. 

• Like 3

West Noble over East Noble  59-48.  Keep an eye on the Chargers.  And btw, Julio Macias had 16 for WNHS.  Macias announced at the game that he was attending Purdue...he is a kicker.

https://www.wane.com/high-school-sports/11-23-prep-basketball-recap-west-noble-tops-east-noble-to-tip-off-boys-season/

https://www.wane.com/high-school-sports/west-nobles-macias-to-kick-at-purdue/

Branden Northern, Senior PG for Silver Creek, is a 4-year varsity player who has yet to lose a game in the state tournament.  SC won the championship in his freshman and junior seasons, and had won sectional before Covid cancelled his sophomore year.  Now, he probably won't end up his career unblemished in the postseason.  SC doesn't have the horses to win it all this season.  But, they should still have a solid season.  The Dragons opened the season with a 69-57 win over Columbus East last night.  Branden had 31 points in the win.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 11:12 PM, 5fouls said:

Earlier this week, in Girls basketball, South Bend Washington beat South Bend Riley 110-10.  Washington is very good and Riley is bad.  But, 100 point margin in a 32 minute game?  

Michigan has a mercy rule for basketball. In the second half if one team gets a 40 point lead you have a running clock. If the lead drops below 30 the clock goes back to stopping. In the games I officiated that had a running clock never did the lead drop below 30. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Michigan has a mercy rule for basketball. In the second half if one team gets a 40 point lead you have a running clock. If the lead drops below 30 the clock goes back to stopping. In the games I officiated that had a running clock never did the lead drop below 30. 

Indiana is supposed to have one starting at 35 points.  I heard a rumor that it was inconsistently applied during this game.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

If you are down 35 and you haven't cleared the bench you are a tool, troll, and horrible teacher, mentor, coach.  

I don't disagree with that.  But, take an instance where a team up 22 goes on a quick run in the last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter to get up 35.  the 4th quarter would be a perfect time for both teams to play the end of their bench.  High school rosters can be up to 13 players.  So, a team with an 8 man rotation may have 5 guys that don't play that much.  A running clock totally changes the experience for those players.

Many, many, many, many years ago I was one of those end of the bench guys.  In 8th grade, coach put me in the game with 1 second left.  I kid you not.  Basically, this mercy rule is saying that, not only am I not worthy of playing when the game matters, but you have to feel sorry for me and change the rules of the game. 

When I went into a game with that kind of deficit, I fully realized that we weren't going to win, but I had every intention of helping make the final score a 25 point deficit instead of a 35 point one.  Those end of the bench guys don't bust their @ss in practice every day to be treated like second class.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I don't disagree with that.  But, take an instance where a team up 22 goes on a quick run in the last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter to get up 35.  the 4th quarter would be a perfect time for both teams to play the end of their bench.  High school rosters can be up to 13 players.  So, a team with an 8 man rotation may have 5 guys that don't play that much.  A running clock totally changes the experience for those players.

Many, many, many, many years ago I was one of those end of the bench guys.  In 8th grade, coach put me in the game with 1 second left.  I kid you not.  Basically, this mercy rule is saying that, not only am I not worthy of playing when the game matters, but you have to feel sorry for me and change the rules of the game. 

When I went into a game with that kind of deficit, I fully realized that we weren't going to win, but I had every intention of helping make the final score a 25 point deficit instead of a 35 point one.  Those end of the bench guys don't bust their @ss in practice every day to be treated like second class.  

Good post.  

So under no score circumstances are you in favor of any running clock?

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Good post.  

So under no score circumstances are you in favor of any running clock?

Correct.  If a coach is intentionally running up the score to win by 60, 70, or 80, he's a tool and it should be dealt with.  But, the rules of the game going in should be the rules of the game throughout.

59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Correct.  If a coach is intentionally running up the score to win by 60, 70, or 80, he's a tool and it should be dealt with.  But, the rules of the game going in should be the rules of the game throughout.

In the last 10 years I remember a girls game being around 100 to 10 and they asked the coach about it and evidently the starters didn't even play in the second half the team was just that bad.  It's hard to say what's more demoralizing for these young student athletes. I think the intention was good trying to eliminate a game like that.