High School Hoops '21-'22

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it seems just another way to get more teams with trophies.  High school basketball use to be my favorite form of basketball but class basketball ruined it for me.  Even though it has actually helped my high school when we won 3 straight sectionals and one regional.

If you want to kill high school sports in the state, let's get rid of the class system.  All we need to do is look at what Carmel does in sports like Swimming and Tennis every year to get a picture of how much size matters.

And, one thing that everyone overlooks is that the fans from small town schools are often better than the fans from the city.  At today's girls semi-state in Jeffersonville, Waldron, a 1A school, and 2+ hours from Jeffersonville had so many fans attending the first game that the Silver Creek fans arriving for the 2nd game had nowhere to sit.  Waldron not only had completely filled their section, they had filled most of Silver Creek's as well.   Waldron isn't playing in teh regional, let alone a semi-state, if there is no class basketball.  Meanwhile, Chatard, a 3A school from Indy, didn't even fill half their available seats.  Yeah, I get Chatard is private, but still. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you want to kill high school sports in the state, let's get rid of the class system.  All we need to do is look at what Carmel does in sports like Swimming and Tennis every year to get a picture of how much size matters.

And, one thing that everyone overlooks is that the fans from small town schools are often better than the fans from the city.  At today's girls semi-state in Jeffersonville, Waldron, a 1A school, and 2+ hours from Jeffersonville had so many fans attending the first game that the Silver Creek fans arriving for the 2nd game had nowhere to sit.  Waldron not only had completely filled their section, they had filled most of Silver Creek's as well.   Waldron isn't playing in teh regional, let alone a semi-state, if there is no class basketball.  Meanwhile, Chatard, a 3A school from Indy, didn't even fill half their available seats.  Yeah, I get Chatard is private, but still. 

I know about the attendance because my nephew was on Knightstown when we went to the semi state.  We played Forrest Park at Southport and it was sold out.  The next game was LN vs Terre Haute with Oden and Conley plus Arman Bassett.  That game the place was half empty.

Knightstown had won 1 sectional in 35 years in the New Castle sectional.  In my sophomore year in 87 we won the sectional and we celebrated like we won the state.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Carmel vs Sheridan in a sectional game in football sounds incredibly fair. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never said it for football but basketball 

Basketball has outgrown a single class system.  It just has.  After the game today, I went to the grocery.  While leaving, standing outside there were two guys talking and I heard one of them saying 'need to get rid of the damn classes in basketball'. 

This is in Sellersburg, a community that has 3 state basketball championships over the last 3 years and will be playing for another one next week.

Our school and our community is better because of those championships.  But, we have none of those if it is single class. 

It's not a participation trophy.  Its winning against your peers.  And, if they realign as discussed, it evens th things up even more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

The southern part of the state did well today with 1A Tecumseh winning and 2A Forest Park as well.....

I saw the second half of the Tecumseh game.  They were down 3 at half, but controlled the 2nd half for a relatively comfortable win.  I'll be rooting for them next week as a public going up against a Private in Lafayette Catholic.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Basketball has outgrown a single class system.  It just has.  After the game today, I went to the grocery.  While leaving, standing outside there were two guys talking and I heard one of them saying 'need to get rid of the damn classes in basketball'. 

This is in Sellersburg, a community that has 3 state basketball championships over the last 3 years and will be playing for another one next week.

Our school and our community is better because of those championships.  But, we have none of those if it is single class. 

It's not a participation trophy.  Its winning against your peers.  And, if they realign as discussed, it evens th things up even more.

That is fine but I don't feel that way.  Why is it all about winning the state championship but teaching kids that they can compete against the best.  It is funny that some of the teams who use to dominate in the one class isn't competing in multi class system. Teams like Muncie Central, Richmond, Anderson and some what New Castle and Marion have not been very good.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Don't you think the Silver Creek Boys team could have competed with the 4A teams the last four of years.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't really have a dog in the fight but just a couple of questions...

Didn't they use to have the winners of the 4 classes play each other? What happened to that? 

Class basketball may satisfy some people, but why is attendance way down from when it was single class?

You mean like the vast, vast majority of people. 

And what attendance do you mean? 

The IHSAA makes more money off class basketball. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Don't you think the Silver Creek Boys team could have competed with the 4A teams the last four of years.

Our first championship team, we probably weren't even the best 3A team in the state.  We just happened to win the Championship.  We could have competed against the Top 4A schools, but not sure they could have knocked of 3-4 top 4A teams in a row to win state.  Honestly may not even had made it out of a single class sectional that year as Jeffersonville beat us during the regular season,  

The next year, the Covid season, was our best boys' team, and they lost by 32 to Lawrence Central in the Hall of Fame classic.  Now, they weren't that much better than us, but they were that day. 

Last year's boy's team was just asking to lose during the entire tournament.  I have no idea how they didn't.  The South was week last year in 4A, so I would never say never.  But, as tough as it was to get through 3A, I don't think we would have made it to Indy in 4A.

Now, the team with the best chance, may have been our girl's team last year.  We won state in 3A.  Crown Point won state in 4A.  And, we beat Crown Point during the regular season.  We did lose to two Indy area 4A schools in a holiday tournament though, so I'm not in any way claiming we were the best team in the state.

This year's girl's team has a major hurdle next week against SB Washington.  SB Washington has 3 girls who are already committed to Maryland (all are the coach's daughters).  It will take our absolute best and Washington to have an off game for us to have a chance.   

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't really have a dog in the fight but just a couple of questions...

Didn't they use to have the winners of the 4 classes play each other? What happened to that? 

Class basketball may satisfy some people, but why is attendance way down from when it was single class?

In the couple of years they had the class winners play each other, the games were seriously one-sided and it took a lot of steam out of the idea.  

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Our first championship team, we probably weren't even the best 3A team in the state.  We just happened to win the Championship.  We could have competed against the Top 4A schools, but not sure they could have knocked of 3-4 top 4A teams in a row to win state.  Honestly may not even had made it out of a single class sectional that year as Jeffersonville beat us during the regular season,  

The next year, the Covid season, was our best boys' team, and they lost by 32 to Lawrence Central in the Hall of Fame classic.  Now, they weren't that much better than us, but they were that day. 

Last year's boy's team was just asking to lose during the entire tournament.  I have no idea how they didn't.  The South was week last year in 4A, so I would never say never.  But, as tough as it was to get through 3A, I don't think we would have made it to Indy in 4A.

Now, the team with the best chance, may have been our girl's team last year.  We won state in 3A.  Crown Point won state in 4A.  And, we beat Crown Point during the regular season.  We did lose to two Indy area 4A schools in a holiday tournament though, so I'm not in any way claiming we were the best team in the state.

This year's girl's team has a major hurdle next week against SB Washington.  SB Washington has 3 girls who are already committed to Maryland (all are the coach's daughters).  It will take our absolute best and Washington to have an off game for us to have a chance.   

Geography plays a huge role.

Any team having to win the LN/NC/LC/Cathedra/Tech/Warren/Attucks sectional is just at a stupidly difficult disadvantage. 

I ran through it once... you have to beat like 6 top 12-15 to win a state title that way lol 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

In the couple of years they had the class winners play each other, the games were seriously one-sided and it took a lot of steam out of the idea.  

David wasn't meant to slay Goliath every year...kinda takes the "epic" out of it if they did...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think tournament attendance has been hurt by class basketball.  It has been hurt by evolution of society.  Small schools from small towns still support their teams.  Many larger schools just don't.  Private schools are the worst for attendance, but they win more than their fair share because of the inherent advantage they have.  

• Like 1