High School Hoops '21-'22

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I haven't watched 2 minutes of NBA this year.  I just can't.  Don't watch much college anymore either.  But, I'll still make time for a good Big Ten game if I can.  

I still watch the college game but it gets harder because the style of offense and how bad the shooting is.  I am watching a game from 86 IU at MSU and it was the last weekend of the year.  They showed the stats from that year and Ken Norman led the big ten in shooting bat 65 percent and he did shoot some from the outside. Scott Skiles who was a 6'2 guard was 4th at 58 percent and Alford was 9th at 55 percent. Skiles led the conference in scoring at 28 and Alford was second at 23. The tenth leading scorer was at 19.   Alford was 5th in Free throws at 89 percent. I just don't know why scoring and shooting is not as good today.

Edited by IU Scott

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still watch the college game but it gets harder because the style of offense and how bad the shooting is.  I am watching a game from 86 IU at MSU and it was the last weekend of the year.  They showed the stats from that year and Ken Norman led the big ten in shooting bat 65 percent and he did shoot some from the outside. Scott Skiles who was a 6'2 guard was 4th at 58 percent and Alford was 9th at 55 percent. Skiles led the conference in scoring at 28 and Alford was second at 23. The tenth leading scorer was at 19.   Alford was 5th in Free throws at 89 percent. I just don't know why scoring and shooting is not as good today.

Just finished watching this old game and it is night and day compared to today's game. A lot less dribbling and way more passing and player movement.  A lot less forced shots due to a short shot clock.  It was the first year of the 45 second shot clock and never came close to a shot clock violation. IU won 97-79 with no 3 pointers and a longer shot clock. This win was IU's last of the year because the lost the lady game at IM that cost us the big ten. The last game was a loss to Cleveland St. in the tournament.

Edited by IU Scott

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know about the attendance because my nephew was on Knightstown when we went to the semi state.  We played Forrest Park at Southport and it was sold out.  The next game was LN vs Terre Haute with Oden and Conley plus Arman Bassett.  That game the place was half empty.

Knightstown had won 1 sectional in 35 years in the New Castle sectional.  In my sophomore year in 87 we won the sectional and we celebrated like we won the state.

Can’t tell you who won last year’s Lafayette sectional regional or semi-state 

I know Rossville played in 71 semi-state 

Milan in 54 

attucks 55 

Lafayette CC have multiple class titles….yawn but we all know they ended Jeffs sectional run at 29 straight in 1972 

First back to back was Wingate 

All the early champs are Lafayette-Lebanon- Crawfordsville area 

Alford’s 57 

Skiles OT vs Roosevelt 

stacey toran from half court 

Jodie Whitaker from Scottsburg 

10 hours ago, Hoosier Daddy 4 said:

Root for your team. Public or private should not matter. 

My team is playing in the 3A championship.  Tecumseh vs. Lafayette Catholic is 1A.

If you dont want me to root based on public versus private, I'll choose another method.

Let's see.  How about North vs. South.  My team plays in the South and so does Tecumseh.

Or, how about I got to watch Tecumseh play some yesterday and their team and fans are easy to root for.

And then there is the fact that Lafayette Catholic has 'Lafayette' in their name.  Makes me think if West Lafayette, which makes me think of the Smellermakers.  

Yeah.  I think I will root for who I want for the reasons I want.

P.S.  While there are many reasons, public vs private is still one of them.

• Like 2

So just pouring over this thread I agree mostly with @IU Scott...

One class basketball and the lore it created had a charm that wasn't duplicated in any other state...

But, the world changes and I'm ok with that...

And I'm sure there have been some epic moments since Indiana went away from class basketball, but I haven't heard them...

Edited by IUFLA

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Silver Creek cheerleaders rarely go to an away game these days.  They will for New Albany, Jeffersonville, or Charlestown.  But, if we go to Seymour?  Ain't happening.  Chatard didn't bring cheerleaders to the semi-state game today.

And, while I wasn't at all of our boy's home games this year, I have been to several.  And, I think the band has been there maybe twice.  The band is a critical component in the atmosphere for a high school game.  Loved it when Rushville brought their band to the 3A girls regional last week.  

The cheerleaders always rode on the bus with us when I played. My school even had a charter bus. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

So just pouring over this thread I agree mostly with @IU Scott...

One class basketball and the lore it created had a charm that wasn't duplicated in any other state...

But, the world changes and I'm ok with that...

And I'm sure there have been some epic moments since Indiana went away from class basketball, but I haven't heard them...

Here is one. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Here is one. 

I was there for his semi state vs Roncalli. I'd love to show you at Seymour, where I sat. Gym was sold out, one of the Seymour teachers owed dad a favor a let us in the door with no ticket. I grew up like 4 mins from that gym, but in a different school district. 

You talk about a following.. holy poop. Washington and Loogootee playing at Seymour on the same day. Absolutely nuts. My house was on Hwy 50 and it was a sight to see. 

That was one of the biggest teams I've ever seen listed on paper. Absurd how much height they had. Washington, I'm saying. Roncalli had 4 D1 football players on their team. 

• Like 2

2018- New Albany vs Floyd in the sectional championship is an experience I will never forget. 

Seymour was full before they even opened the door. 

The semis were awesome too. Romeo played the late game that evening and the place was still full by 545pm 😂😂😂

Some of you can be frustrated because you felt the one class system was better, everyone can have an opinion. But, please don't pretend the games were anymore meaningful then or that HS basketball in Indiana isn't still a MASSIVE deal. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was there for his semi state vs Roncalli. I'd love to show you at Seymour, where I sat. Gym was sold out, one of the Seymour teachers owed dad a favor a let us in the door with no ticket. I grew up like 4 mins from that gym, but in a different school district. 

You talk about a following.. holy poop. Washington and Loogootee playing at Seymour on the same day. Absolutely nuts. My house was on Hwy 50 and it was a sight to see. 

That was one of the biggest teams I've ever seen listed on paper. Absurd how much height they had. Washington, I'm saying. Roncalli had 4 D1 football players on their team. 

I was in Indy for state that year.  Washington, Loogootee, and Forest Park. Indy was turned upside down. 

Steve Bouchies son Bryan was on the team. He was 6'8" Zeller 6'11".  I don't think anyone was shorter than 6' that year. Yeah, absurd for sure. 

• Like 2

My cousin was on our 1995 girls team that went to state. 

One thing I think that added to the greatness of one class was the venue. Being in the Hoosier dome for the Final 4 was something else. 

Nothing wrong with the tournament today but for me, Canseco doesn't come close to being in the old Hoosier dome. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

I know it’s big school hoops but I was in the gym when Gary Harris hit a half court shot to beat North Central in the sectional semifinals.  I’m pretty sure we had more people in the gym than the fire marshal allows.  Both were top five teams I believe and it was absolutely epic…maybe the best high school basketball game I’ve ever seen.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was in Indy for state that year.  Washington, Loogootee, and Forest Park. Indy was turned upside down. 

Steve Bouchies son Bryan was on the team. He was 6'8" Zeller 6'11".  I don't think anyone was shorter than 6' that year. Yeah, absurd for sure. 

They played like 7 kids 6'3 or taller. Tyler was 6'9 then and their 10th/11th guy haha

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, are the Plymouth kids lying on the floor crying afterwards because Zeller beat them in the State Championship on a half-court shot, or was it because it wasn't a single class tournament?

I believe they were thinking if it was still single class this would have never happened because we wouldn't have made it to state. 

• Like 1