High School Hoops '21-'22

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Correct.  If a coach is intentionally running up the score to win by 60, 70, or 80, he's a tool and it should be dealt with.  But, the rules of the game going in should be the rules of the game throughout.

On top of that some of the JV KIDS dressing varsity might only get 1 quarter and 8 minutes of running clock does not get much actual game time

• Like 3

On 12/1/2021 at 7:21 AM, 5fouls said:

Assume running clock in effect.  Saw one of those myself last night.  

I'm not sure. I don't really think so and I also feel like there should be an announcement when it goes into affect. In our it happened with like 3 minutes left and everyone was focused on the game and didn't even realize it and our players didn't either so they missed out on working on late quarter possession situations which is a valuable thing to work on when we had 5 underclassmen on the court at that time. 

• Like 1

I have no problem with giving the option of a running clock. I think the team losing should have the option to have it turned on. If it is just one of those games that got away early but it's hoovering near 35 with bench players playing I have no problem letting it just finish out...but if the game is way way out of hand and mercy is indeed needed then let them decide if they want to turn it on. Like the team is so bad that even against backups they can't get the ball past half court or whatever...I have no problem with simply running the clock and saving some dignity. Getting blown out 100-10 could easily just cause every single girl to quit that team and feel so defeated and humiliated they don't even want to continue playing. Just do what is in the best interest of the kids playing....if it's to keep letting them play then so be it...and if it's to get it over with and save some humiliation of being overpowered over and over again...that is ok too. We shouldn't be out there to break kids spirits....and we aren't out there to baby people either. A coach that is just trying to run up the score is not a very good person when it comes to HS sports. It isn't about his/her ego....it's for the kids. They KNOW full well when they are overpowering a team and can start very early (perhaps even starting seniors or kids that wouldn't normally start) to give them confidence or a chance for a memorable night and not be about themselves. I know I sound like a softy but as I've grown older I've seen too much of the process being about the adults and not the kids.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

My son’s 4th grade team in the NKY Catholic league lost 62-4 last Sun. 😬 They stopped the scoreboard at 40, and only post it as a 25 point win, but it was actually 62-4. And that’s without pressing! Most of our team is completely lost on the floor! 

Brutal! Hope the kids weren't completely demoralized.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

My son’s 4th grade team in the NKY Catholic league lost 62-4 last Sun. 😬 They stopped the scoreboard at 40, and only post it as a 25 point win, but it was actually 62-4. And that’s without pressing! Most of our team is completely lost on the floor! 

At least they avoided the shutout!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I have no problem with giving the option of a running clock. I think the team losing should have the option to have it turned on. If it is just one of those games that got away early but it's hoovering near 35 with bench players playing I have no problem letting it just finish out...but if the game is way way out of hand and mercy is indeed needed then let them decide if they want to turn it on. Like the team is so bad that even against backups they can't get the ball past half court or whatever...I have no problem with simply running the clock and saving some dignity. Getting blown out 100-10 could easily just cause every single girl to quit that team and feel so defeated and humiliated they don't even want to continue playing. Just do what is in the best interest of the kids playing....if it's to keep letting them play then so be it...and if it's to get it over with and save some humiliation of being overpowered over and over again...that is ok too. We shouldn't be out there to break kids spirits....and we aren't out there to baby people either. A coach that is just trying to run up the score is not a very good person when it comes to HS sports. It isn't about his/her ego....it's for the kids. They KNOW full well when they are overpowering a team and can start very early (perhaps even starting seniors or kids that wouldn't normally start) to give them confidence or a chance for a memorable night and not be about themselves. I know I sound like a softy but as I've grown older I've seen too much of the process being about the adults and not the kids.

A high school team should not have trouble getting it across half court UNLESS the winning team continues to run a full court press. 

Are we thinking not one kid on the team that is losing can dribble the ball down the court?  They cant pass it back and forth if the defense is playing a soft zone?  

If a team can't do those basic things, it doesnt matter if the other team is good or bad.

If the winning team is still applying significant defensive pressure while up 35 or more, the problem is not with the running clock.  A little bit of sportsmanship from the winning side prevents the need from going to a running clock.

I'm not saying they lie down and let them score.  But, dont press, dont trap, dont fast break if you dont have to.  Sit back in a nice 2-3 zone, rebound missed shots, and work on half-court offensive sets.  Play the game without trying to embarrass. 

Kids on both sides that normally dont get to play would appreciate that kind of scenario.  If a kid WANTS a running clock, they probably should not be playing the sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think there is a difference between 4th grade and high school.  I can see it at that age.  High school, it does not belong.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A high school team should not have trouble getting it across half court UNLESS the winning team continues to run a full court press. 

Are we thinking not one kid on the team that is losing can dribble the ball down the court?  They cant pass it back and forth if the defense is playing a soft zone?  

If a team can't do those basic things, it doesnt matter if the other team is good or bad.

If the winning team is still applying significant defensive pressure while up 35 or more, the problem is not with the running clock.  A little bit of sportsmanship from the winning side prevents the need from going to a running clock.

I'm not saying they lie down and let them score.  But, dont press, dont trap, dont fast break if you dont have to.  Sit back in a nice 2-3 zone, rebound missed shots, and work on half-court offensive sets.  Play the game without trying to embarrass. 

Kids on both sides that normally dont get to play would appreciate that kind of scenario.  If a kid WANTS a running clock, they probably should not be playing the sport.

Agreed. If coaches handled those situations better both scheduling, before hand, and during the game much of this would be avoided. I don't think its common a team would need a running clock if it was handled appropriately but there are some examples of some really bad teams or teams without their only good ball handler etc that the kids might be better off to have the game sped up to eliminate the humiliation and hopefully not destroy ALL their competitive spirit. I guess it's just more about sportsmanship....we do a better job and you are absolutely right we probably don't need a running clock or it would be rare. That said even if the kids struggle with the most basic aspects of a sport I'd rather they keep playing and benefit from that then be beaten into giving up all together.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

Brutal! Hope the kids weren't completely demoralized.

My son was a bit bc he’s a good athlete (really good soccer and baseball player) and hates to lose. But unfortunately for him, our school is smaller than most (fewer kids) and he doesn’t have hardly any help. We have 6-7 kids (out of 10) who struggle to dribble decently. We have a few kids that prob didn’t know we lost, let alone that bad. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I see some similarities between Sasha and Loyer at least defensively. Painter wouldn’t put either of them in a spot to guard JHS IMO. 

But if Loyer is the offensive player you believe he's going to be, I'm sure Coach Woody would want his best on the ball defender on him, wouldn't he?