High School Hoops '21-'22

1 hour ago, landrus13 said:

Yep. Heard Linton held the ball multiple times for minutes at a time. 

They sure did but I also want to point out North Daviess wasn't up in their face playing D. I'm a shot clock guy. None of this stuff would ever happen. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tough one for Braden Smith/Westfield. Out for a month or so with foot issue. Same foot he broke this past summer and was out for 3 months. 

I know some on here were likening him to John Stockton but he has to be a candidate to redshirt next year if not hit a year of prep, if thats still a thing.  Sucks it happened his senior year while his team was supposed to be in a title hunt and him hoping for a mr  basketball run.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know some on here were likening him to John Stockton but he has to be a candidate to redshirt next year if not hit a year of prep, if thats still a thing.  Sucks it happened his senior year while his team was supposed to be in a title hunt and him hoping for a mr  basketball run.  

Yep. Always hate injuries for kids and quite honestly the team too. Dad said in the article I read everything is focused on making sure he's ready for Purdue in June so it sounds like they won't be pushing things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why would he redshirt?  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im not as high on BS as many others.  2 set back injuries in his final year before college.  He may benefit from a year focusing on his body as much as his game.  Jmo.  

He has to get 100% healthy for sure 

Purdue needs him to backup IT next year unless Morton can play PG

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, landrus13 said:

Yep. Heard Linton held the ball multiple times for minutes at a time. 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:35 AM, Seeking6 said:

They sure did but I also want to point out North Daviess wasn't up in their face playing D. I'm a shot clock guy. None of this stuff would ever happen. 

Personally I don't get this. It's a regular season game with nothing on the line. Second...these are basically evenly matched teams...both very much capable of beating each other but not really one superior to the other. Just play your game and shake hands win or lose. I too am for a shot clock...but honestly I just don't get it....that is a coach trying to outsmart another coach...this isn't about kids playing and seeing who wins. It's kind of selfish. I understand it happens in the tournament sometimes...when it's win or go home...and one team's best chance to win is to employ such a tactic....but I'm just not a huge fan of making the game about the coaches and not the players when you basically don't let the kids play and determine the outcome of the game. What have you learned about your team by holding the ball even if you win during a regular season game? Yes you play to win the game but this is HS basketball...and the regular season. W/L will have no bearing on making a tournament or winning a conference in this instance. Just my opinion...and I like Joey Sr...played for him.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Personally I don't get this. It's a regular season game with nothing on the line. Second...these are basically evenly matched teams...both very much capable of beating each other but not really one superior to the other. Just play your game and shake hands win or lose. I too am for a shot clock...but honestly I just don't get it....that is a coach trying to outsmart another coach...this isn't about kids playing and seeing who wins. It's kind of selfish. I understand it happens in the tournament sometimes...when it's win or go home...and one team's best chance to win is to employ such a tactic....but I'm just not a huge fan of making the game about the coaches and not the players when you basically don't let the kids play and determine the outcome of the game. What have you learned about your team by holding the ball even if you win during a regular season game? Yes you play to win the game but this is HS basketball...and the regular season. W/L will have no bearing on making a tournament or winning a conference in this instance. Just my opinion...and I like Joey Sr...played for him.

Wouldn't it be Joey Jr that you played for. I really like all the Harts

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You think Smith will be ready for that role as a freshman? I'd be shocked if a grad transfer wasn't a major part of the picture next year for you guys.

No he won't be ready but he will be better than Newman and IT. I hope I am wrong he is going to be the new Brian Cardinal and Chad Austin. Guys that seem to kill IU 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Wouldn't it be Joey Jr that you played for. I really like all the Harts

Well senior who I also played for we called Joe. Joey wasn't really a Jr. I wouldn't say so I consider the kid now as Joey Jr....but who knows how people see them or how they say it themselves.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Well senior who I also played for we called Joe. Joey wasn't really a Jr. I wouldn't say so I consider the kid now as Joey Jr....but who knows how people see them or how they say it themselves.

I just giving you a hard time, I forgot it was Senior you played for. Joey was at Shakamak when I was at Linton I think.Been too long ago

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

No he won't be ready but he will be better than Newman and IT. I hope I am wrong he is going to be the new Brian Cardinal and Chad Austin. Guys that seem to kill IU 

Yeah..I saw him as a 4 year competitor for sure...but likely to have a minor role similar to Lander's...break glass if necessary as a 3rd pg next year...but who knows....and I think Painter needs an upgrade at the point and will go out and try to find one over IT....similar to how we did with Xavier and Rob.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I just giving you a hard time, I forgot it was Senior you played for. Joey was at Shakamak when I was at Linton I think.Been too long ago

Well I played freshman ball for Joey...before he moved on to Shakamak. So played for the whole family lol. He asked me to come over and play for him when he got the job but I wasn't leaving my friends who I grew up and went to school for 13 years with...not to mention we had a pretty special team and even coming off the bench meant more on a Sectional winner than starting and playing more for a bad team.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Well I played freshman ball for Joey...before he moved on to Shakamak. He asked me to come over and play for him when he got the job but I wasn't leaving my friends who I grew up and went to school for 13 years with...not to mention we had a pretty special team and even coming off the bench meant more on a Sectional winner than starting and playing more for a bad team.

My few years  at Linton I was able to see Brody, Graves and Carmichael all D1 players coming from schools smaller than a Freshman class at many high schools across the state. So much talent there for sure

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

My few years  at Linton I was able to see Brody, Graves and Carmichael all D1 players coming from schools smaller than a Freshman class at many high schools across the state. So much talent there for sure

Oh gosh the Valley was loaded those years....tell you from North Daviess, Dugger (Union), Linton, WRV, Bloomfield, and Eastern (Greene) that was probably some of the best basketball teams/players at the 1A/2A level in the state for awhile. Was funny when I played in college intramurals and even when I played pick up games with the guys on the USI basketball team they couldn't believe I didn't start in HS. At the time I didn't give it a second thought as I was willingly to do anything to make the team better but looking back I played on a team that had four career 1,000 pt scorers on it (which included a 1800 and 2600 scorer). Two Indiana All-stars and 4 kids that got either D1 or D2 offers to play basketball. It didn't even cross my mind I could had a lot more playing time elsewhere and I didn't take the offer seriously (and looking back I still wouldn't change a thing) but I was on a pretty stacked team. But back to your point we only won our Sectional once in my four years because of how competitive it was and the high level of talent in the area. 

• Like 1