2022 ATH Phillip Dunnam committed to IU

iuswingman

1. I trust the staff on recruiting.  Especially Tom Allen.  He's got the best vision we have had for what he wants from a player at any position.  He doesn't just take some stray guy.  He marries the talent with his vision.

2. Some of the recruiting analysts are good.  I favor 247 because I think their guys like Allen Trieu and Steve Wiltfong work hard and come across as the smartest as a group. That's not to say there aren't good guys at Rivals, etc., I just trust 247 as a group the most.  Regardless, they can do a good job, but ultimately they aren't coaching in college and it's difficult to make their own projection for the next level the way Tom Allen and his staff can.

3. Micah McFadden was a 2 star.  Probably erroneously considering he played well immediately.

4.  Some guys mature at different times.  This has been true since the beginning of sports.  It might be physically, it might be just clicking as a player.

5. Some guys get better.  Practice makes perfect.

6. Our staff was likely looking for a sfaety.  With their connections in South Florida, they probably got good intel not to sleep on this kid.

7.  I have no idea how good he will be, but our staff knows what we need.

8.  In our defense, you can't have too many safeties of his type.  Good height at 6'1 for a DB and I bet he will be rangy.  He looks very smooth.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

1. I trust the staff on recruiting.  Especially Tom Allen.  He's got the best vision we have had for what he wants from a player at any position.  He doesn't just take some stray guy.  He marries the talent with his vision.

2. Some of the recruiting analysts are good.  I favor 247 because I think their guys like Allen Trieu and Steve Wiltfong work hard and come across as the smartest as a group. That's not to say there aren't good guys at Rivals, etc., I just trust 247 as a group the most.  Regardless, they can do a good job, but ultimately they aren't coaching in college and it's difficult to make their own projection for the next level the way Tom Allen and his staff can.

3. Micah McFadden was a 2 star.  Probably erroneously considering he played well immediately.

4.  Some guys mature at different times.  This has been true since the beginning of sports.  It might be physically, it might be just clicking as a player.

5. Some guys get better.  Practice makes perfect.

6. Our staff was likely looking for a sfaety.  With their connections in South Florida, they probably got good intel not to sleep on this kid.

7.  I have no idea how good he will be, but our staff knows what we need.

8.  In our defense, you can't have too many safeties of his type.  Good height at 6'1 for a DB and I bet he will be rangy.  He looks very smooth.

The bolded. So true... had a kid a couple of years ago, 6'3 175lbs. Comes back a year after HS, 6'4 200lbs and built like a brick s*** house. 

I saw him listed at 6'2, as well. 

One last point I'll make.. and Teegardin mentioned this the other day on Twitter, scout team are sooooo important. At minimum I think we can see that this kid should be a very solid SPT player and scout guy. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He’s a late riser who Weaver said will be ranked soon.

Right. It's not that 247 thinks he sucks, or whatever. He just flat out hasn't been evaluated by them. 

I really dont care to hear their evaluation now haha but we all know we will get it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. It's not that 247 thinks he sucks, or whatever. He just flat out hasn't been evaluated by them. 

I really dont care to hear their evaluation now haha but we all know we will get it. 

Yeah, exactly.  Basketball recruiting is hard enough as it is, but because rosters are huge, the number of football players out there is very hard to define.  Guys will slip through the cracks regardless, and then throw in a pandemic, which is like tying scouts’ hands behind their backs.  I bet there will be more late risers than normal.  

Plus kids grow at different rates. I had a friend who was 6’1 when we graduated high school.  He was 6’5 at the ten year reunion.  It was freaky.

Edited by BobSaccamanno

• bluegrassIU changed the title to 2022 ATH Phillip Dunnam committed to IU