2022 PF Malik Reneau Commits to INDIANA!!!

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If TJD leaves he's got a strong chance to get big minutes asap. If TJD stays....he got a free trip to Bloomington and will go elsewhere. Nothing wrong with staff or player doing this. 

If TJD stays he still gets major minutes at the 5 and sharpens his skills everyday in practice against an All-American. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

If TJD stays he still gets major minutes at the 5 and sharpens his skills everyday in practice against an All-American. 

Very rare....although happens occasionally that a 5 star comes in to a program to practice. I know there are examples recently at Carolina, happens at UK every year....but we aren't that yet. 

Hope so for sure but he's coming to IU only if TJD isn't coming back. Just my feeling. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If TJD stays there might not be a spot if Dennis commits

This is where I want that current available spot to go. Saw him on tv recently; very good rebounder and knows how to score inside. IU could use that as I’ve seen too many missed shots up close. Plus can’t hurt on Evans next year if two teammates are already here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

This is where I want that current available spot to go. Saw him on tv recently; very good rebounder and knows how to score inside. IU could use that as I’ve seen too many missed shots up close. Plus can’t hurt on Evans next year if two teammates are already here.

Reneau that is

Glad its this weekend. Coach and the team can focus on him solely. Next week is Little 500, so this weekend works better. It would be great if JHS tagged along for the visit.

I think if he wants to commit, we will make room for him somehow.

Man the lineups this year with him would be stacked, and next year WOW.

• Like 2

Glad its this weekend. Coach and the team can focus on him solely. Next week is Little 500, so this weekend works better. It would be great if JHS tagged along for the visit. He is in Chicago on Friday night for the Jordan classic, so he can just come on down for Saturday. I wonder if Reneau is playing in the Jordan Classic or is it only for Seniors? Regardless, only a short drive to come on down for the weekend. I am sure we could send a car for him.

Edited by Iuprof

4 hours ago, Iuprof said:

Glad its this weekend. Coach and the team can focus on him solely. Next week is Little 500, so this weekend works better. It would be great if JHS tagged along for the visit. He is in Chicago on Friday night for the Jordan classic, so he can just come on down for Saturday. I wonder if Reneau is playing in the Jordan Classic or is it only for Seniors? Regardless, only a short drive to come on down for the weekend. I am sure we could send a car for him.

Reneau and Hood-Schifino both played in Jordan classic.  My guess is they visit together, or at very least sets up nicely for them to do so with both playing in Chicago last night.  

This guy and Hood-Schifino seem to lack the elite athleticism that would quickly get them to the league, so they are either going to be very good 3-4 year players, or, if they do make it to the league sooner than that, it will because they are great college players, not merely good players with potential. TJD probably fits in that category as well, and it's exactly the kind of guy we should be after.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Very rare....although happens occasionally that a 5 star comes in to a program to practice. I know there are examples recently at Carolina, happens at UK every year....but we aren't that yet. 

Hope so for sure but he's coming to IU only if TJD isn't coming back. Just my feeling. 

He may not want to be at IU at all. I have no information. Perhaps he justs wants a fun hang with JHS this weekend.

But don't mistake not starting for being a practice player. He could still earn significant game minutes as the back up to TJD, if we want to go big and play some high low action, or if we allow TJD some time to develop as a stretch four. Good coaches know how to put their best players on the floor. 

True a lot of high ranked players start as freshman, but Reneau isn't top ten talent. He is around the 30 mark, which is where  Bates was, just for onr example. Without diving into the stats, I would imagine -- depending on the school they chose, like McGowens at Nebraska -- players ranked in that range have fewer starts than top ten ranked players. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

This guy and Hood-Schifino seem to lack the elite athleticism that would quickly get them to the league, so they are either going to be very good 3-4 year players, or, if they do make it to the league sooner than that, it will because they are great college players, not merely good players with potential. TJD probably fits in that category as well, and it's exactly the kind of guy we should be after.

You hit the nail on the head with this post. Give me the great college player that wins you games,  but lacks some of the "potential" the NBA wants but doesn't really benefit their current college team.  Good athlete and skill over elite athleticism.  Ideally you have a good combination of both, but I'll take the TJD/Bacot/Gillespie/Tshiebwe types over the uber athletes that haven't learned the game yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Hot and Cold usually has good insight

Could be awkward on campus with Dennis and Reneau on campus at the same time. Only have one spot at this time so wonder how the coaches will handle this.  What if Dennis wants to commit but Reneau wants to take more visits

Edited by IU Scott