2022 PF Malik Reneau Commits to INDIANA!!!

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Cod be awkward on campus with Dennis and Reneau on campus at the same time. Only have one spot at this time so wonder how the coaches will handle this.  What if Dennis wants to commit but Reneau wants to take more visits

I believe Dennis’ visit isn’t until Monday. They won’t overlap.

• Thanks 1

Fingers crossed on this but I think we have the best recruiting assistants as a group as we’ve had in a very long time and that includes Walsh.  Plus I think Woody can close.  This will be a huge summer of recruiting, locking down ‘23 and getting the foundation laid for ‘24 and even ‘25 to an extent.  I think we will know a ton about where we are headed by November.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll take it with a grain of salt but like the kid trying. Hope this happens. You keep stacking top 30 recruits on top of 30 recruits and it would be impossible not to succeed. Unless of course your name is Kentucky. 

Right, could be a playful/pressure move. Probably more than likely that is it, but still fun to see.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll take it with a grain of salt but like the kid trying. Hope this happens. You keep stacking top 30 recruits on top of 30 recruits and it would be impossible not to succeed. Unless of course your name is Kentucky. 

I was just looking back through past classes to see where guys were ranked, trying to figure out how many top 75 guys may be in our rotation next year....

I honestly don't think I realized just how putrid our recruiting was under Archie. The only guy who played all four years for Archie was Al Durham, and he was a Crean commit and ranked 230. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I was just looking back through past classes to see where guys were ranked, trying to figure out how many top 75 guys may be in our rotation next year....

I honestly don't think I realized just how putrid our recruiting was under Archie. The only guy who played all four years for Archie was Al Durham, and he was a Crean commit and ranked 230. 

That’s 100% what killed Archie.  He still knows the game and can coach - but I get the sense he thought IU would recruit itself along with his reputation at the time.   When it started going south, he hired Kenya.   

He got Lander, TJD, and Romeo.  Romeo sort of fell into their lap with the Adidas stuff.  TJD, I’m not positive, probably would’ve come to IU no matter what.  All 5 stars - from Indiana. 

His recruiting out of the state turned out to be weak (less JG and Race).  But by the time he left, it was no longer an attractive product nationally (particularly on offense).  

Hopefully the tides are turning. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gnet550 said:

That’s what he said…now he could be just joking or friendly pressure on Malik…but I like it lol

Definitely just being playful and trying to speak it into existence. They are close; JHS wouldn’t ruin his commitment over a casual IG story. Malik did mention in an interview that JHS hasn’t been super pushy about IU; he said JHS understands where Malik is coming from since he also de committed from a school and wanted to explore his options. But yes A+ for effort and couldn’t have asked for a better kid to join him on this official visit!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Whoever our coach is I always defend them to a fault...but Archie landing Romeo out of the gate probably made us look the other way on actually how bad the overall recruiting was. 

With Woodson and our staff I expect JHS types every year....and some years more than 1. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Even the recruits that were ranked well mostly ended up as flops so far in college, including a bunch of the players that he recruited but missed on. So he not only did a poor job of landing top talent, he did a poor job of even identifying that talent. Recruiting was probably the worst aspect of his time at IU.

• Like 3

In his first year, CAM was hamstrung because he had to keep players due to grade issues. Couldn’t fully recruit a class. He brought in Romeo, TJD, Geronimo and Galloway… all players who we have in the past or currently want to build our team around. Yes, there have been some misses, but they certainty aren’t flops. With all the resources every NFL team can draw upon, ever look at the statistics on how many draft picks don’t pan out?

I know his tenure wasn’t overwhelming but really tired of the constant bashing of CAM every chance some folks get 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I know his tenure wasn’t overwhelming but really tired of the constant bashing of CAM every chance some folks get 

Crean was better than Archie in every way possible during his time at IU and he still gets bashed on, it is just how message boards are. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In his first year, CAM was hamstrung because he had to keep players due to grade issues. Couldn’t fully recruit a class. He brought in Romeo, TJD, Geronimo and Galloway… all players who we have in the past or currently want to build our team around. Yes, there have been some misses, but they certainty aren’t flops. With all the resources every NFL team can draw upon, ever look at the statistics on how many draft picks don’t pan out?

I’m with you.  Also crazy to think, if McKinley Wright were able to come to IU, could’ve changed the course on everything.  There’s still debate that Archie didn’t want him at IU … but as you alluded, I’m convinced he was handcuffed with that. 

22 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

One thing I’ll always wonder about Archie is, would things be different had he not had big men be the focus of his offense?   He had success at Dayton with not many big men.  

At IU, he had Morgan which he inherited.  He had a broken Romeo for a year and then TJD.  I feel, had TJD not been from Indiana, he wouldn’t have recruited him that much.  College b-ball is so guard focused obviously and he had success with guard heavy teams.  

now, you can equally argue that if you can’t win with an all American big man, you probably shouldn’t be coaching IU.   But I’ll always wonder, if he had more guard focused teams, opposed to the big man he ultimately had on his roster (which is his doing anyway), if he would’ve had more success.  He made his own bed, but seems he may have changed his ways a bit at IU.