2022 PF Malik Reneau Commits to INDIANA!!!

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Someone on Twitter over the weekend tweeted out Mike the closet Woodson or something along those lines so I was hoping it was in reference to Malik. I watched him play and he wasn’t overly athletic but he’s also top 25 for a reason so I trust our coaching staff to develop him.m to become athletic. 

I saw the same tweet and had the same hope. Glad we were right! 

• Like 1

Reneau has 4 things I really like in a post up type player...

Soft hands

Great footwork

Nice shot fakes

Soft touch...

He mentions "winning" a lot in the articles I've seen, and I love that as well...

Like I said, once he gets in a major college weight/conditioning program, he could really blossom...

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m excited about this commit, but better than Eric Gordon I don’t see. That being said, I’m excited for the future for the the first time in awhile. 

I probably missed it in the scrolling but he isn't Gordon. Nowhere close. Very few have been. Malik is 6'8/9-215lb kid who can play multiple positions on offense and defense. Talent is there, nice touch....and a summer in the weight room will change his body like Cody did when he first got to Bloomington.

I'll echo what I said about 8 pages ago. You keep stacking top 30 kids on top of each other in recruiting....and it's impossible not to win big unless of course your Kentucky. 

• Like 3

Several things that are grounds for optimism & high expectations:

1. CMW proves he can get impact type players.  No comparison to the CAM results.

2. Multiple high ranked players in a class - greatly reduces the impact if one is injured or doesn't play up to his ranking. 

3.  With the Monteverde players accustomed to playing high level team basketball, they should be adapt more quickly than big fish in a little pond recruits.

4. Perhaps not the quickest route, but I much prefer this approach to building the program to over reliance on portal guys.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Several things that are grounds for optimism & high expectations:

1. CMW proves he can get impact type players.  No comparison to the CAM results.

2. Multiple high ranked players in a class - greatly reduces the impact if one is injured or doesn't play up to his ranking. 

3.  With the Monteverde players accustomed to playing high level team basketball, they should be adapt more quickly than big fish in a little pond recruits.

4. Perhaps not the quickest route, but I much prefer this approach to building the program to over reliance on portal guys.

All great points but especially number 3. These aren't kids who are really good from Terhune....these are guys that have been playing against elite level peers for years in school and summer. Not a normal kid coming to campus in June. 

• Like 2

I know they are both freshman and it’s too early to know how much influence they will have on the team but it can’t hurt that our PG and PF have a lot of experience playing together. Just knowing where the other likes to get the ball and strengths and abilities is a nice synergy that should help in getting up to speed faster. Just hoping some of that chemistry follows them over.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All great points but especially number 3. These aren't kids who are really good from Terhune....these are guys that have been playing against elite level peers for years in school and summer. Not a normal kid coming to campus in June. 

Help me out here…

was Terhune the “no drive 12 foot in”

bandbox of a gym…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

NIL levels the playing field 

Other schools would get multiple 5 ️  In a class……with shoe company money 

NIL does level the playing field back to us because we weren't doing the Kansas/Duke/Kentucky/UNC shht.  However, we have maintained a fanatic and fairly loyal fanbase over the past 20 years of mediocre results (for us).  We have a big alumni base that supports the program, that can now include with $$$$ legally.

You can cry and bith and moan about that but it is the rules now.  Any school/coach not taking advantage of that fact is stupid and/or extremely derelict at doing their job w.r.t. their athletic programs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Movin’ on up….

9EC138B8-7DE6-4EC9-923D-2A5F4D3E05CC.jpeg

First, so pumped about the commitment! 

Second, this is the type of recruiting I've been begging for! Crean could do it for a time, but never consistently and Archie could never really do it after his initial class. 

But the way you win in college basketball is by stacking classes with multiple players ranked between 20-75 in their classes. 

We now have 3 of those guys in the 2022 class and add that to Bates last year. Add 2-3 more next year and then we have 6-7 on the roster.

Stacking classes like that minimizes the impact of a guy like TJD leaving early or an unexpected transfer, etc.  

The last 6-8 years we've been one man teams with just average players surrounding that one guy. Now, we're beginning to stack talent. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this is super exciting!  i think it has to mean TJD or JG are not coming back.  my thought is TJD bc it's hard to see Reneau not starting.  either way, such an exciting talent boost!  

I'm back and forth on this. Reneau seems like a really grounded kid. All the articles I've seen have him mentioning the packed frontcourt and embracing the competition. So I'm not sure if one of them is on the way out. We are obviously still recruiting a guard, so one of them could very well be gone, but I wouldn't be shocked if both stayed.

Seems like a kid that knows if he's not playing, he simply wasn't the better player for the time being. Doesn't seem to be expecting immediate playing time at all without earning it.

• Like 4

All things considered, I hope we stand pat with what we have right now, assuming Trayce comes back...

I personally wouldn't want one year of Dennis if it means we sacrifice possibly 3 more years of Geronimo or 4 more of Duncomb...

But, In Woody I Trust...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, ephul said:

I'm back and forth on this. Reneau seems like a really grounded kid. All the articles I've seen have him mentioning the packed frontcourt and embracing the competition. So I'm not sure if one of them is on the way out. We are obviously still recruiting a guard, so one of them could very well be gone, but I wouldn't be shocked if both stayed.

Seems like a kid that knows if he's not playing, he simply wasn't the better player for the time being. Doesn't seem to be expecting immediate playing time at all without earning it.

His Assistant Coach did an article with ITH in the last hour. What I read is a kid who has played against high level competition for minutes the last couple years, been a part of title winning teams....and has no problem with whatever his role his. He's there to win. One other thing I read was high IQ. Ability to retain and react quickly in many different sets. 

• Like 5