2022 PF Malik Reneau Commits to INDIANA!!!

Yeah I just don't want to see Duncomb get the boot.

He's such an intriguing guy. Freakishly long. Could be a menace defensively by his junior and senior year.

Having 13 scholarships, we aren't going to recruit 4 and 5 star guys that are willing to wait around for 2 to 3 years before they get PT.

Having a guy like Duncomb that is (presumably) fine with his role right now could pay big dividends in the coming years. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, ephul said:

He's such an intriguing guy. Freakishly long. Could be a menace defensively by his junior and senior year.

Having 13 scholarships, we aren't going to recruit 4 and 5 star guys that are willing to wait around for 2 to 3 years before they get PT.

Having a guy like Duncomb that is (presumably) fine with his role right now could pay big dividends in the coming years. 

Agree here. LD kind of reminds me of a Bo Ryan type of big. People might forget that he’s on the roster, then out of nowhere, he puts together formidable junior and senior seasons. Maybe not, but he does intrigue me. 

• Like 6

First of all, great news - and welcome, Malik! 

As for guys leaving, or getting “creaned” - I don’t see anyone being forced out. We’ll need some of these guys to be contributors in a year or two. I’m also confident that Leal is perfectly content being the 12th or 13th scholarship player on our roster. He’s living out his childhood dream, and will be ready when his number called. 

If TJD does in fact stay in the draft, I can imagine that he and Woody have already talked and used it to Woody’s benefit as far as recruiting is concerned. Not saying that’s the case, but I feel strongly about the fact that Woody already knows what TJD’s future holds in regards to playing basketball at Indiana University. 

I’m excited for what’s to come! 

21 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

On paper Leal is the weakest link.

I don’t see an Indiana boy like him getting ran off. My guess it will be Geronimo or TJD. And I really want to keep Geronimo for the future

No one has to leave or get “run off”. We are now at  full roster. Is there someone else coming I’m unaware of?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Can't see anybody getting the boot.  I think that would have happened already.   If we are looking for a guard something is planned.  And I don't think it's TJD leaving.   Don't underestimate what having the NLI can do.

Go Hoosiers!!!

The power of the NLI. Has anyone seen any specific numbers for any of our players? Just curious. 

1 hour ago, ephul said:

And just a reminder that Duncomb was a 4 star rated 73.  He may be physically immature for the B1G and may have had a hiccup at a fraternity or wherever but he's not a bum project off the street and comes from a very good high school program in Ohio.  

I don't know how the numbers work but it would certainly be wild if a guy dropped his scholarship and picked up NIL.  I'd say it's highly unlikely as over the years these boards have come up with some of the wildest ideas of players parents have money so they could pay their own way and that has happened exactly ZERO times.  But nil is wild and fans is short for fanatic.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

No one has to leave or get “run off”. We are now at  full roster. Is there someone else coming I’m unaware of?

Dexter Dennis visited today, Sean McNeil has a visit this upcoming weekend. If TJD does come back and one of them comes, someone has to leave.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Dexter Dennis visited today, Sean McNeil has a visit this upcoming weekend. If TJD does come back and one of them comes, someone has to leave.

There’s still 11 or 12 days players can enter the portal. I’m sure there’s a plan in place. Otherwise there would be no reason to continue recruiting

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m not sure I’d trade Leal, JG or Galloway for either of those two so hopefully they’re a TJD stays in the draft contingency. 

Edited by Hoosier82

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And just a reminder that Duncomb was a 4 star rated 73.  He may be physically immature for the B1G and may have had a hiccup at a fraternity or wherever but he's not a bum project off the street and comes from a very good high school program in Ohio.  

I don't know how the numbers work but it would certainly be wild if a guy dropped his scholarship and picked up NIL.  I'd say it's highly unlikely as over the years these boards have come up with some of the wildest ideas of players parents have money so they could pay their own way and that has happened exactly ZERO times.  But nil is wild and fans is short for fanatic.

Duncomb is definitely not the first guy I want moving on if TJD is back and McNeil and/or DD come. I think he has a lot of upside and can see a scenario of a future lineup where he starts. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

NIL does level the playing field back to us because we weren't doing the Kansas/Duke/Kentucky/UNC shht.  However, we have maintained a fanatic and fairly loyal fanbase over the past 20 years of mediocre results (for us).  We have a big alumni base that supports the program, that can now include with $$$$ legally.

You can cry and bith and moan about that but it is the rules now.  Any school/coach not taking advantage of that fact is stupid and/or extremely derelict at doing their job w.r.t. their athletic programs.

I guess you didn’t read what I wrote.

Uk & ku & Duke all cheated…. Some for 50+ years 

RMK never cheated….besides Sampson & Romeo it’s hard to tarnish IU  with cheating allegations 

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's not 100% true in the age of NIL.  It's likely true, but not an absolute.

Are we sure about this? Is there no longer a rule that a guy can’t go off a recruited scholarship and still play as a walk-on? You used to not be able to do this. Not sure NIL money changed that. Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Are we sure about this? Is there no longer a rule that a guy can’t go off a recruited scholarship and still play as a walk-on? You used to not be able to do this. Not sure NIL money changed that. Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong. 

If it was truly that easy, Leal could be on the parent works for the university tuition discount.  I remember there being certain priveleges that true scholarship players get that walk ons don't.  It's been years and rules have changed.  I think what you are referring to is once you offer and recruit a player, you can't then bring them in on some other type of scholarship.  The reality is that a bunch of kids come from poverty and would qualify for all sorts of grants.  Que @IU Scott, help us out here buddy   

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

I guess you didn’t read what I wrote.

Uk & ku & Duke all cheated…. Some for 50+ years 

RMK never cheated….besides Sampson & Romeo it’s hard to tarnish IU  with cheating allegations 

Leave it to a Purdue fan to somehow equate an alleged plot between Adidas, Louisville & Rick Pitino to offer Romeo’s dad’s AAU team a run of the mill sponsorship amount to somehow being a cheating allegation against IU. Especially when said plot was supposedly well within the rules anyway.  

Also, given what we know has occurred over the past two decades, anyone who still considers what Sampson did as “cheating” are the adult equivalent of the kid who’d tell the teacher you looked over at their paper during a test. You may be right on a technicality but you’re still a major doucher and no one (including your own mother) actually likes you. 

Edited by Hoosier82
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1