2022 PF Malik Reneau Commits to INDIANA!!!

5 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

On paper Leal is the weakest link.

I don’t see an Indiana boy like him getting ran off. My guess it will be Geronimo or TJD. And I really want to keep Geronimo for the future

He shouldnt have to but I wish JG would say i'm back to end this talk.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

No one has to leave or get “run off”. We are now at  full roster. Is there someone else coming I’m unaware of?

CMW Was out to dinner tonight with the transfer from Wichita St. Something is going to happen since the visit wasnt canceled.

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Are we sure about this? Is there no longer a rule that a guy can’t go off a recruited scholarship and still play as a walk-on? You used to not be able to do this. Not sure NIL money changed that. Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong. 

Bob Knight took Winston Morgan scholarship and he had to pay his own way as a walk on one semester. Not sure if the rule you are talking about started after that. Knight paid Morgan out of his pocket after he graduated for that semester, if I remember right.

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Are we sure about this? Is there no longer a rule that a guy can’t go off a recruited scholarship and still play as a walk-on? You used to not be able to do this. Not sure NIL money changed that. Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong. 

What I remember is that you cannot give a player a different kind of scholarship (such as an academic scholarship) to keep them on the team.  I don't believe there is a rule against paying your own way and in fact, I'm pretty sure Jay Edwards lost his scholarship for a semester for failing a drug test.

Unusual, yes, but this forum has speculated about a player paying his own way before.  It may not be likely, but with the NIL in place, it would seem to be more plausible than in the past.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Bob Knight took Winston Morgan scholarship and he had to pay his own way as a walk on one semester. Not sure if the rule you are talking about started after that. Knight paid Morgan out of his pocket after he graduated for that semester, if I remember right.

I thought there was someone else after I posted about Jay Edwards.  I also found this old article about Mike Giomi playing as a walk-on after Knight yanked his scholarship:

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/01/30/sports/knight-drops-top-rebounder.html

It has absolutely happened and I can't think it wouldn't be more likely with the NIL.  That would be yet another unintended consequence of the rule.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1

I love that we are getting 5 stars, but what I love more is that we are getting proven winners at the highest level in high school basketball.  JHS and Malik won their high school championship, both played in the Jordan Brand Classic game, Banks was I believe voted 4A player of the year out of Georgia and Gunn plays on a top high school team in Indiana as.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Indykev said:

Go watch some of their games and come back.

I get that he can score down low against length. Am more concerned about his D. @btownqb reports rivals listing him at 6'9" and 225 which makes me feel better. Add 5-10 lbs and physically he will match up ok. He will still be a freshman. 

8 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

I guess you didn’t read what I wrote.

Uk & ku & Duke all cheated…. Some for 50+ years 

RMK never cheated….besides Sampson & Romeo it’s hard to tarnish IU  with cheating allegations 

I went back and read and yeah, I did not catch what you were trying to say the first time.  That's on me, apologies boiler dude.

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

What I remember is that you cannot give a player a different kind of scholarship (such as an academic scholarship) to keep them on the team.  I don't believe there is a rule against paying your own way and in fact, I'm pretty sure Jay Edwards lost his scholarship for a semester for failing a drug test.

Unusual, yes, but this forum has speculated about a player paying his own way before.  It may not be likely, but with the NIL in place, it would seem to be more plausible than in the past.

Yes, you are all coming around to the dark side I suggested a week or two ago.  Let TJD continue to do his thing, but recruit and accept like he is gone.  If he decides to come back you either get him another NIL deal to cover the scholarship or you do that for one of the other guys who might be willing to (having discussed it with them already).

A bunch of people did not like the idea of taking a scholarship away, but to me, if they are willing, who cares who is paying for your school as long as it gets paid.

Every post season, it's brought up that someone could "pay their own way" or now it's "NIL". If I was in a position that these guys are, I wouldn't want my "NIL" money paying for my college.  While it may appear that we aren't recruiting as heavy locally as we have in the past, there will always be players 10, 11, and 12 on the bench that people want to give their schollies away, and it baffles me. 

TJD will be back, and we will be a top 20 preseason team. This off season will be nothing but shooting, because from what we've lost in the portal, we haven't totally picked up yet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yes, you are all coming around to the dark side I suggested a week or two ago.  Let TJD continue to do his thing, but recruit and accept like he is gone.  If he decides to come back you either get him another NIL deal to cover the scholarship or you do that for one of the other guys who might be willing to (having discussed it with them already).

A bunch of people did not like the idea of taking a scholarship away, but to me, if they are willing, who cares who is paying for your school as long as it gets paid.

This isn't going to happen though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I get that he can score down low against length. Am more concerned about his D. @btownqb reports rivals listing him at 6'9" and 225 which makes me feel better. Add 5-10 lbs and physically he will match up ok. He will still be a freshman. 

04182022mr-600x315.png.webp.920eb01307ca553044ab32e0dda32adf.webp

Malik has long arms and a sturdy frame. His athleticism doesn't jump of the page, but I think it will improve in our program. I saw him play Michigan recruit Tarris Reed (Link Academy) in the Geico Nationals, and he played Reed very well on the defensive end...and had the upper hand on offense as well...

Malik is very tricky down low. I love his footwork and patience. I think even as a freshman he can make an impression...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

First, these type of ‘strings’ can not be tied to a NIL deal. 

Second, this is a total long shot. (Insert: ‘so you’re telling me there’s a chance’ meme)

Thirdly, if using NIL money to pay for tuition is going to happen, look for the NCAA to close that loophole quickly. 

I think we are all trying to convince ourselves of a scenario we want to happen because it’s technically possible, but is not realistic at all. Seriously, there’s probably a 1% chance of TJD using his NIL money to pay for tuition. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

04182022mr-600x315.png.webp.920eb01307ca553044ab32e0dda32adf.webp

Malik has long arms and a sturdy frame. His athleticism doesn't jump of the page, but I think it will improve in our program. I saw him play Michigan recruit Taris Reed (Link Academy) in the Geico Nationals, and he played Reed very well on the defensive end...and had the upper hand on offense as well...

Malik is very tricky down low. I love his footwork and patience. I think even as a freshman he can make an impression...

Those uniforms are cool.

• Like 3

SIAP but I love this interview... 

The highlights...

"the fans are just insane all over Bloomington. They love their basketball. They’re always greeting the players. It was just a great feeling knowing that the fans are behind you.” 

"A  lot people came up to me and greeted me as if they knew me and stuff. It was just a great feeling to have people feel they know you and are always going to come up to you and support you on the court and off the court.” 

“Definitely develop my body. Get stronger, get powerful, be able to move laterally quicker. And on the court, I want to be able to contribute early in my career. I want to be able to produce and make good contributions to the team. And I want to win the Big Ten and I want to win a national championship when I’m there.”

“I’m a winner. I feel like I do anything on the court that needs to be done to win the game." 

That word "win" is used an awful lot by our new kid...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7

BTW, anyone in need of some sour grapes, go to Rupp Rafters or Black and Gold Illustrated. Both have a separate topic just about little old IU and our recruiting...

You can practically smell the fear...

And, this really has nothing to do with us, but I thought it was funny... 

krqCc8g.jpg.debc672a22f7e424f4cd44057233fc88.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

First, these type of ‘strings’ can not be tied to a NIL deal. 

Second, this is a total long shot. (Insert: ‘so you’re telling me there’s a chance’ meme)

Thirdly, if using NIL money to pay for tuition is going to happen, look for the NCAA to close that loophole quickly

I think we are all trying to convince ourselves of a scenario we want to happen because it’s technically possible, but is not realistic at all. Seriously, there’s probably a 1% chance of TJD using his NIL money to pay for tuition. 

Yeah, because if it's known for anything, the NCAA is known for quick and effective rule making.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

BTW, anyone in need of some sour grapes, go to Rupp Rafters or Black and Gold Illustrated. Both have a separate topic just about little old IU and our recruiting...

You can practically smell the fear...

And, this really has nothing to do with us, but I thought it was funny... 

krqCc8g.jpg.debc672a22f7e424f4cd44057233fc88.jpg

Went to Rupps Rafters and learned a couple things. 
1.) math is not a strong point

2.) objective facts and history not their strong point. 
3.) grammar not a strong point 

E2F2BAA4-F87E-456B-8EA4-5E185FFC3EBA.jpeg

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

To your point...the dreaded double negative...

1753721373_Screenshot_20220419-0954022.thumb.png.0b90810380a94f2a8852595096c3d29a.png

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

So how many couches have to burn for a riot to be considered five stars...?

• Haha 2