Last year for the Crossroads Classic

I remember a time when we had the Hoosier and Indiana classics and don't remember people complaining.  Back then we only played 10 non conference games do that was 4 of them in those tournaments.  I am so tired of hearing about raising your brand instead of worrying about competition.

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember a time when we had the Hoosier and Indiana classics and don't remember people complaining.  Back then we only played 10 non conference games do that was 4 of them in those tournaments.  I am so tired of hearing about raising your brand instead of worrying about competition.

You said that and went back to '83 as I attended both the Indiana Classic and the Hoosier Classic.

The Indiana Classic(Bloomington) consisted of:

IU(22-9 NCAA lost in the EE)

Utah St.(19-11 lost 1st Rd NIT)

Texas A&M(16-14 lost in CT final to #8 Arkansas)

Illinois St.(23-8  NCAA lost 2nd Rd to #4 DePaul)

The Hoosier Classic(Indy) consisted of:

IU(22-9 NCAA lost in the EE)

#12 Boston College(lost 2nd Rd NIT)

Iowa State(lost 1st Rd NIT)

Ball State(9-18 but had Whitko grad Mark King)

On 7/30/2021 at 9:32 AM, Muddy River said:

So the Purdue AD complains about ending an event that his team is historically bad in?  That dude should be sending Dolson a Thank You card.

He is going to miss the IU provided welfare and an opportunity for Purdue to play in the state capitol every year.  None of those other teams has ever shown that they can be the anchor for that type of event in Indianapolis.  Purdue tried with the Blockbuster and that is gone.

Indiana can still get good competition to come play in Indianapolis.  They don't need the other 3 to pull off and Indy event, the other 3 do need IU though.  I have always said that if you pulled IU from that event and replaced them with a team like Ball State, that the event would fall apart.  Conversely, you could replace any of the other 3 and it would still be viable because Indiana.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He is going to miss the IU provided welfare and an opportunity for Purdue to play in the state capitol every year.  None of those other teams has ever shown that they can be the anchor for that type of event in Indianapolis.  Purdue tried with the Blockbuster and that is gone.

Indiana can still get good competition to come play in Indianapolis.  They don't need the other 3 to pull off and Indy event, the other 3 do need IU though.  I have always said that if you pulled IU from that event and replaced them with a team like Ball State, that the event would fall apart.  Conversely, you could replace any of the other 3 and it would still be viable because Indiana.

I don’t think Purdue is going to lose too much sleep over it honesty. They’ll be able to find other high quality teams to play IMO. 

20 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don’t think Purdue is going to lose too much sleep over it honesty. They’ll be able to find other high quality teams to play IMO. 

I am sure they will find a team to play, but you and I both know that Purdue does not have the same draw in Indianapolis that IU does.  So it will be interesting to see what it is replaced with on your end.  Purdue usually does go out and grab a Marquette or Arkansas or whatever to fill the schedule and I have no doubt they will do that to replace this event.  I just don't see that being a draw in Indianapolis so you are probably looking at a home and home replacement IMO.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:33 AM, Stlboiler23 said:

That’d be cool!

Did they place the Helms banners next to the Men of Mackey annual second round (TBT) banner or next to the Women's national championship banner (a real championship)? Never been to Mackey...asking for when a friend goes where to look?? Thanks!!

Edited by dgambill