Restaurant/fast food screwups/other oddities

I am a very privileged, spoiled, first-world American who expects proper service when I order food, and am prone to sticking out my lower lip and folding my arms when I don't get what I asked for or find out it's not available for whatever reason. What are some memorable incidents you've experienced with restaurants, or take-out orders? 

I drove through Taco Bell this evening, got home and realized my order was wrong. Thankfully, I didn't need the receipt they forgot to give me to get what I wanted when I went back. 

Yesterday, I had a craving for roast beef and went to Arby's only to be told they were out of roast beef. I'm the kind of person who always thinks of great comebacks well after the fact, and I now realize I should have said "Arby's...you DON'T have the meats!" 

• Like 1

I was in a Domino’s waiting behind one other customer to pick up my pizza order. A third customer comes in carrying two pizza boxes and slams them down on the counter. His only comments before storming back out the door was (verbatim): “I’m contacting your corporate office for a refund. I can’t eat this. It tastes like wet dog.”

The obvious comment was made by the guy behind the counter “How does he know what wet dog tastes like.”

My answer to that was (and read between the lines on this one…): “Good thing he didn’t order Chinese.”

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I was in a Domino’s waiting behind one other customer to pick up my pizza order. A third customer comes in carrying two pizza boxes and slams them down on the counter. His only comments before storming back out the door was (verbatim): “I’m contacting your corporate office for a refund. I can’t eat this. It tastes like wet dog.”

The obvious comment was made by the guy behind the counter “How does he know what wet dog tastes like.”

My answer to that was (and read between the lines on this one…): “Good thing he didn’t order Chinese.”

Domino's get alot of crap undeserving. But it isn't bad pizza at all. Just have to order right.  Extra cheese, extra cook time. 

I will tell you what pizza gives me a lot of digestive issues. Pizza hut, immediately, and it would pass through a screen door window.  Tears me up like no other. 

Edited by mrflynn03
Language

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Domino's get alot of crap undeserving. But it isn't bad pizza at all. Just have to order right.  Extra cheese, extra cook time. 

I will tell you what pizza gives me a lot of shit. Pizza hut, immediately, and it would pass through a screen door window.  Tears me up like no other. 

It’s not bad, but not great.  It was the closest pizza place to my former house though. And agree with you on the gastrointestinal effects of Pizza Hut. A very Taco Bell type effect. 

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

It’s not bad, but not great.  It was the closest pizza place to my former house though. And agree with you on the gastrointestinal effects of Pizza Hut. A very Taco Bell type effect. 

Are you familiar with Monicals Pizza?

I think it's come up in discussion before but my wife is from central Illinois and it's a dinner at least once when we visit her parents.

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Are you familiar with Monicals Pizza?

I think it's come up in discussion before but my wife is from central Illinois and it's a dinner at least once when we visit her parents.

Familiar with the name, as I’m originally from southeastern Illinois, but never actually eaten there. 

11 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Familiar with the name, as I’m originally from southeastern Illinois, but never actually eaten there. 

There's a Monicals in Linton and Vincennes (just had Sunday lunch in Linton).  Used to be one in Washington (like in the '70's) where Hunan Garden is today.  Really thin and a little charred crust.  A unique taste...very good!

Also,  their house sweet & tangy dressing is fantastic.

Edited by FKIM01

I've probably been to 20-25 Popeye's chicken joints, and I've never gotten even adequate service, and 9 times out of 10, they'll screw your order up...

Worst case was when my wife, myself, and my (at that time)10 year old daughter walked into one in Oswego, Illinois. The female cashier was making out with some guy in the restroom hallway...broke away just long enough to take out order, then went back to swapping spit with homie...

And the f'ed our order up to boot...

Too bad, because their food is pretty good for fast food fare...

Edited by IUFLA

We don't eat much fast food but 2-3 places in Indy area I'll never return. 96th and Keystone McD's (orders always wrong, ice cream never working), Dairy Queen around 71st and Keystone (just bad all the way around) and the KFC on Range Line in Carmel....who believe it or not are always out of chicken. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

There's a Monicals in Linton and Vincennes (just had Sunday lunch in Linton).  Used to be one in Washington (like in the '70's) where Hunan Garden is today.  Really thin and a little charred crust.  A unique taste...very good!

Also,  their house sweet & tangy dressing is fantastic.

I stopped at the one in linton a few weeks ago. 

Monicals is a staple where my wife is from. 

Still have some sweet and tangy dressing in the fridge. Buy a bottle every time. 

Taco Bell is one of my favorites but I really hate how certain items can only be ordered via the mobile app only. Specifically the Quesarito which is my all-time favorite item. I'm too lazy to order things ahead of time on apps. Just make it for me when I want it, dang it!

Also I went to Taco Bell last week and they were out of Baja Mountain Dew which is criminal.

Now it just hit me the worst messed up order I've had - like 3-4 years ago I ordered a taco pizza from Pizza Hut. Bearing in mind that taco pizza is the pinnacle of fine pizza dining and the Holy Grail...they delivered a taco pizza where they only put the refried beans on the crust. Nothing else. Totally forgot all the other toppings. I called and got my full and proper taco pizza delivered. The defective one I still ate, just melted some cheese and put some Taco Bell sauce on that sucker and it was still edible. 💪😎🍻

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bronkonagurski said:

Taco Bell is one of my favorites but I really hate how certain items can only be ordered via the mobile app only. Specifically the Quesarito which is my all-time favorite item. I'm too lazy to order things ahead of time on apps. Just make it for me when I want it, dang it!

Also I went to Taco Bell last week and they were out of Baja Mountain Dew which is criminal.

Now it just hit me the worst messed up order I've had - like 3-4 years ago I ordered a taco pizza from Pizza Hut. Bearing in mind that taco pizza is the pinnacle of fine pizza dining and the Holy Grail...they delivered a taco pizza where they only put the refried beans on the crust. Nothing else. Totally forgot all the other toppings. I called and got my full and proper taco pizza delivered. The defective one I still ate, just melted some cheese and put some Taco Bell sauce on that sucker and it was still edible. 💪😎🍻

I don’t want to know what all was on the make up pizza.  Prolly for the works.  

Edited by BDB

56 minutes ago, BDB said:

I don’t want to know what all was on the make up pizza.  Prolly for the works.  

When I was in high school I worked at a Mr. Gattis pizza place. One night, a delivery customer kept calling saying his order was wrong I think 4 or 5 times. 

So the last time he called we took his order and the delivery guy comes back. We told him he had to go back again. He said F this guy. 

So the customer got jalapeños and ball pubes under his sauce. I did not participate.

Ever since I eat what I get even if it's wrong. 

Years ago we had been out ice fishing, drinking and what not.  We hit a Macdonalds on the way home.  I am a picky eater and like my cheeseburgers plain so I decided to go the easy route and ordered nuggets.  Open the container and low and behold had a red pubic hair standing out like a fire bush.  I returned the nuggets to the counter and explained the situation, they had the nerve to ask me if I wanted replacements.  Hell no I responded.  

Arby's has been notorious in my neck of the woods for "slipping things in". Specifically, I cannot stand their curly fries, and since they did away with their potato pancakes, I now order their crinkle fries. On one occasion, they gave me a "complimentary" order of jalapeno poppers, only to find out they did that because they gave me the curly fries instead. On another occasion, they put crinkle fries on the top of the fries container, but below was all curlies.

Due to this, regardless of the fast food restaurant, and regardless of how backed up they may be, I always look through my entire order to ensure everything is as asked for before driving away.

• Like 3

So here's one from the other side of it...

Back in the day, I moonlighted working for Dominos. It was pretty good money for part time work, and they were so desperate for drivers, you got whatever hours you wanted. 

Dominos managers get bonuses based on food use. The less they use, the bigger the bonus.

I answered the phone one time and got a very irate man who said there was a cockroach on his pizza. I handed him over to the manager (who was a real jackass that we liked to needle) and he talked to the guy...when he got done, one of the other drivers asked him what was the resolution...the manager responded that he was sending the guy another pizza, to which the driver replied, "Oh...I thought maybe you were gonna try to charge him for another topping."

Cracked me up...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We eat out way too much for sure. I bet 90% of the time in the past 3 to 4 months the order has been wrong. I get tired of it but understand that they are under staffed so I make no issue of it. My wife has finally got it into my head to check every item even going through drive thru to be sure it is correct. I am not one to complain but recently thought about it in another way. My wife chose to be a teachers aide in the local elementary school and to have an impact on kids. Yesterday we drove by a Subway offering $18 an hour on their sign. Of course when we stopped they messed up the order. My wife in a not so quiet manner said I am trying to help shape the minds of kids for $13 an hour and for $18 you cant even get even get my turkey sub right? I guess they should have paid your teachers and assistants more and maybe you could do your job. Needless to say my wife had finally had enough of the months of messed up orders. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know I've already posted more than once in this thread, but that's why I started it. 

Earlier this year, I placed a carryout order at Pizza Hut: a pepperoni pizza, pasta and cheese bread (it was for myself and two others). I ordered online and it said 20-25 minutes. 25 minutes later, I drove to the pickup window, only to have the employee tell me the order wasn't quite finished yet, and ask me to pull into one of the parking spaces nearby. I had a bad feeling where this was headed. 10 more minutes go by, still nothing. I finally got out of my car and went inside to see what was taking so long. I had parked on the east side of the building, and went in the nearest door, on the north side. As I'm going in, I see an employee carrying boxes and going out the south door. I high-tailed it back to my car and finally got my order. 

I checked the order after getting back in my car and realized there was no cheese bread. So back inside I go. A little old lady is standing at the counter, waiting. I asked if she was in line, she said she'd been helped. I waited...and waited..and waited, nobody comes to the front counter. Stepping somewhat out of my comfort zone, I shouted "is there anyone back there who can help me?" and an employee quickly dashed up to the front. I mentioned my order wasn't complete, even though they took 10 minutes longer than the estimated wait time. She apologized and said they would credit me for the cheese bread, but it would be a few more minutes. So I wait. As does the little old lady. 

5 minutes later, they hand me a box with the cheese bread. Just one problem...no cheese. I would have just taken it and left, but the person who wanted the cheese bread would have had a fit. So I point out that once again, they got my order wrong. Another useless apology, and another five minutes of waiting. 

After about 45 minutes, I finally had my order with everything correct. As I walked out the door, the little old lady was still waiting at the counter. I called Pizza Hut corporate later that evening and reamed them for their employees' incompetence. Scored a few coupons for free stuff. I'm sure when I use them, I'll get the textbook new employee who doesn't understand coupons or discount codes. 

Edited by TheWatShot