Restaurant/fast food screwups/other oddities

For whatever reason, I get less irritated about drive thru or pickup screwups than I do about dine-in ones.

I'll go back close to 50 years with a story.  Went out with the family as a young lad to Frisch's (home of the Big Boy). 

Being 6 years old or so, I ordered a grilled cheese.  20 minutes later, food is delivered, but no grilled cheese.  Dad kindly tells the waitress it was missing. 

20 more minutes go by and still no grilled cheese.  Rest of family is finishing up, and dad asks the waitress again.  At this point, everyone else is done and we sit there for 15 more minutes when finally the waitress comes back to deliver..........a CHEESEBURGER.  

For years later, I thought a grilled cheese must be the hardest thing in the world to make.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Arby's has been notorious in my neck of the woods for "slipping things in". Specifically, I cannot stand their curly fries, and since they did away with their potato pancakes, I now order their crinkle fries. On one occasion, they gave me a "complimentary" order of jalapeno poppers, only to find out they did that because they gave me the curly fries instead. On another occasion, they put crinkle fries on the top of the fries container, but below was all curlies.

Due to this, regardless of the fast food restaurant, and regardless of how backed up they may be, I always look through my entire order to ensure everything is as asked for before driving away.

You may be the first person in the history of fast food that doesn't like Arby's curly fries. I appreciate a lone ranger that refuses something so delicious.  👌

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 1:54 PM, FKIM01 said:

There's a Monicals in Linton and Vincennes (just had Sunday lunch in Linton).  Used to be one in Washington (like in the '70's) where Hunan Garden is today.  Really thin and a little charred crust.  A unique taste...very good!

Also,  their house sweet & tangy dressing is fantastic.

Vincennes is more or less home for me. Lived just across the river, but spent as much time in Vincennes. When I lived there, Monicals hadn’t made it across the river yet. They had locations in Mt Carmel, IL and Robinson, IL. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

You may be the first person in the history of fast food that doesn't like Arby's curly fries. I appreciate a lone ranger that refuses something so delicious.  👌

It depends on which portion of the batch you get. If the employees just scrape up all the little half circles that are fried to hell and back, they’re horrible. The long, spiral pieces, yes, delicious.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

For whatever reason, I get less irritated about drive thru or pickup screwups than I do about dine-in ones.

I'll go back close to 50 years with a story.  Went out with the family as a young lad to Frisch's (home of the Big Boy). 

Being 6 years old or so, I ordered a grilled cheese.  20 minutes later, food is delivered, but no grilled cheese.  Dad kindly tells the waitress it was missing. 

20 more minutes go by and still no grilled cheese.  Rest of family is finishing up, and dad asks the waitress again.  At this point, everyone else is done and we sit there for 15 more minutes when finally the waitress comes back to deliver..........a CHEESEBURGER.  

For years later, I thought a grilled cheese must be the hardest thing in the world to make.

LOL

They were Azar's in my neck of the woods.  Are Big Boy restaurants still around?  The last one in the Fort closed last summer.  I loved that place.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL

They were Azar's in my neck of the woods.  Are Big Boy restaurants still around?  The last one in the Fort closed last summer.  I loved that place.

I think Frisch's Big Boy still has restaurants around the Cincinnati area...Martinsville had one back in the day but it's been closed for decades...

I know there was some splintering of the franchisees a while back as some went with Frisch's, some went with Bob's Big Boy, and some went with Shoney's...

I do know you could buy Frisch's tarter sauce in Chicagoland when I lived there from 2000-2012...Meijers carried it...

Just now, IUFLA said:

I think Frisch's Big Boy still has restaurants around the Cincinnati area...Martinsville had one back in the day but it's been closed for decades...

I know there was some splintering of the franchisees a while back as some went with Frisch's, some went with Bob's Big Boy, and some went with Shoney's...

I do know you could buy Frisch's tarter sauce in Chicagoland when I lived there from 2000-2012...Meijers carried it...

I know they were Elias Brothers in Michigan...I haven't been to Tennessee in a few years but have a trip planned for this coming winter.  Will have to stop going and coming in Cincinnati.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Vincennes is more or less home for me. Lived just across the river, but spent as much time in Vincennes. When I lived there, Monicals hadn’t made it across the river yet. They had locations in Mt Carmel, IL and Robinson, IL. 

Ohhh, good ole VU, 2 great years of my life. There used to be a Primo's Pizza on 2nd street by campus. Their Strom's with extra meat extra sauce.. DELISH!

I could add all sorts of examples to this thread but I will stick to one I haven't seen mentioned. Some places have small, medium, large sizes for their value meals. I always get the small. A handful of times, they don't ask and just assume the large size to make a little more $. In the past, I've just went along with it as I know the employees and restaurants have had it rough. Call it a tip. Now, I'm getting tired of the practice and just saw today fast food sales are up double digits vs 2019 so no need to be gracious. A small means a small.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One oddity I guess I'll throw out. I don't care about food problems or supply or covid or min wages or whatever.....but when a Quarter Pounder Value Meal is $9.30 or so....I refuse to eat at fast foods altogether. Family of 4 at McD's is about $40. Haha. 

Yeah, my wife and I go to one particular Panera and both get the "You Pick 2" where you can get a cup of soup, half a sandwich, or a salad. Most of the time, it's close to $30, but this particular site has 50% off for retired military folks, so I get by for around $15...which is really more in line with what we're actually getting...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

One oddity I guess I'll throw out. I don't care about food problems or supply or covid or min wages or whatever.....but when a Quarter Pounder Value Meal is $9.30 or so....I refuse to eat at fast foods altogether. Family of 4 at McD's is about $40. Haha. 

And that right there is why we go the pizza route...me and the Mrs. can get about 3 meals out of a large pizza.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"Brawny Lad, Buddy Boy, Big Boy...Filet of Sole.  See you at Frisch's."  Yep, they're a few around Cincy.    😊  That's their old jingle, BTW.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Yep...got one those about mile and a half from where I live.   They got rid of the drive up/carhop years ago.  Change with the times or die, I guess.  😊

I dunno.  What works in some areas doesn't work in others.  Big Boys are not in my area anymore, there is a reason for that.  What reason?  I have no idea.