IUBB In Unexpected Places

Has anyone else randomly seen IU basketball (or any other sport) somewhere surprising?

I went to a charity music festival for a historic building yesterday. I was waiting in line for food and saw this stone. 16563DBD-B506-4A46-A377-81708DB32E76.thumb.jpeg.1c3050f89f4c2e1f76e47bc9ea4e6581.jpeg

I thought it was a funny coincidence and decided to read about him since I was just waiting. 109F9B92-C832-482C-B243-D6F784596153.jpeg.81f8438fc91fcbf8d1849ac921911b62.jpeg

Who would have thought? It was THAT Everett Dean. Not only that, but he was a major part of getting some buildings set up there. 

• Like 3

The closest thing I can contribute is finding out, just a couple of years ago, that a "neighbor" where I grew up was a former basketball player for IU (Marvin Christie).  I always just knew him as "Dr. Christie".  I believe he played in the 50's and was a 6' 1" forward (lol).

Courting greatness...

Sadly, he passed away in the past year or so.

• Like 3

In the late 70s, I played in a church league that Dick White, who was a member of the 53 NC team, played in (sports anchor Don Hein played in it too)...I figured he was in his late 40s, but he was still one of the best players in the league (and it was a pretty good league)...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dawg Bawls said:

I met a guy in Jamaica once...he was my taxi driver for the day....at the end I had him take me to his town so I could meet people...he was a youth soccer coach there, I went to his practice and one of the kids had a IU hat on...I took off my shirt and gave my IU tshirt to his brother....when we got home I bought 20 IU soccer balls and a hoody for coach and sent to his team...so GO HOOSIERS!!

I hope you never bought any IU football parking decals because if one of those kids went on to play soccer for IU, we may be in trouble!

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

The closest thing I can contribute is finding out, just a couple of years ago, that a "neighbor" where I grew up was a former basketball player for IU (Marvin Christie).  I always just knew him as "Dr. Christie".  I believe he played in the 50's and was a 6' 1" forward (lol).

Courting greatness...

Sadly, he passed away in the past year or so.

That's a really cool story!  👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess this qualifies...

Cleaning out some storage space above my garage, I came upon this...been up there for the 9 years we've lived here...

PXL_20210825_162028066.MP.jpg

My Mom bought this for me and the matching t-shirt a few days after the game...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4