Bahama trip

3 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

Every time I hear Coach Woody talk I gain more confidence in his ability to get this team, and this program, back to where we want it.

The one thing I did take notice of was how he said "they weren't in great (physical) shape." I know it's the off season, but for him to make that statement tells me we had some things that we needed to address there...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Every time I hear Coach Woody talk I gain more confidence in his ability to get this team, and this program, back to where we want it.

The one thing I did take notice of was how he said "they weren't in great (physical) shape." I know it's the off season, but for him to make that statement tells me we had some things that we needed to address there...

That caught my attention as well.

Also, he discussed how last year they were a bad offensive team and regularly did not get the ball where it needed to go.

Not surprising, but pretty candid assessment of previous coaching. 

• Like 3

A couple of thoughts from Woody’s media availability and interview with Katz:

1.  It does my heart good to hear him say the things he did about Rob P. I believe if he gets his head right, he can be a key contributor this season. 

2.  He mentioned numerous times they have a long way to go. Personally speaking I have to make sure to keep my expectations reasonable FOR THIS SEASON amidst the excitement of a new coach. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Exactly, and I was really happy to hear his standards for that.  In other words, his dissatisfaction is a plus.  

He has been talking about conditioning since the day he got here.  Let’s be honest, it’s a huge part of basketball and we haven’t been emphasizing it well enough IMO.

Considering that Woody has said this since his first presser, either there’s a communication breakdown with Clif, or he’s not getting it.  And if he’s not getting it, he may be one and done.  Woody’s Rolodex is undoubtedly massive when it comes to S and C guys, for basketball.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Winning squashes criticism.

Losing invites it.

Yep, when you lose, everything is scrutinized to the nines. There becomes a presumption you’re doing things wrong. It may not be fair, but you get micromanaged on everything when you lose.  Chipotle for lunch?  You’re an idiot. 

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly, and I was really happy to hear his standards for that.  In other words, his dissatisfaction is a plus.  

He has been talking about conditioning since the day he got here.  Let’s be honest, it’s a huge part of basketball and we haven’t been emphasizing it well enough IMO.

Considering that Woody has said this since his first presser, either there’s a communication breakdown with Clif, or he’s not getting it.  And if he’s not getting it, he may be one and done.  Woody’s Rolodex is undoubtedly massive when it comes to S and C guys, for basketball.  

So I guess that begs the question of whether we were doing too much strength wise, and not enough aerobic wise...

We all saw the videos of the past few years, but @IU Scott always made the point basketball shape was different than strength training... And he was right...strength does help overall, but if you're gassed early, your play is going to suffer...

Coach Woody made the conditioning remark right after talking about TJD, so I think he's seeing an improvement from our best player in that area... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Could it also be that there is a difference in what Archie and CMW is looking for out of Clif?  Maybe Archie wanted a team full of linebackers that could grind down the other team with their physicality but not exactly win a track meet and CMW is looking for long, fast and more of lean than bulky strength and its just a matter of adjusting the program to what the new coach is looking for?

This was my take as well.

• Like 1

Behind Mike Woodson's first summer as Indiana's head coach, where a foundation is being built - Inside the Hall | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball News, Recruiting and Analysis

I didn't know where to put this.  Didn't want to start a new thread in case it was posted somewhere and I just missed it.  But I thought this was a really good article, especially the player quotes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, IUJoe said:

Behind Mike Woodson's first summer as Indiana's head coach, where a foundation is being built - Inside the Hall | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball News, Recruiting and Analysis

I didn't know where to put this.  Didn't want to start a new thread in case it was posted somewhere and I just missed it.  But I thought this was a really good article, especially the player quotes.

The interview with the various IU beat writers, including our own outstanding @The Daily Hoosier had some interesting quotes as well...

Coach Woody said the player he got on the most was Xavier Johnson 

Also said Tamar Bates was a confident cocky kid and he liked that 

And that at the beginning of the scrimmages, Parker Stewart was the best player on the floor...and Coach Woody was trying to get him back there...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It does my heart good to hear him say the things he did about Rob P. I believe if he gets his head right, he can be a key contributor this season. 

Rob is the one player i am cheering on more then any other this season. TJD is my current favorite Hoosier, he will have a big season i predict, but Rob is the one i am pulling for the most. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

The interview with the various IU beat writers, including our own outstanding @The Daily Hoosier had some interesting quotes as well...

Coach Woody said the player he got on the most was Xavier Johnson 

Also said Tamar Bates was a confident cocky kid and he liked that 

And that at the beginning of the scrimmages, Parker Stewart was the best player on the floor...and Coach Woody was trying to get him back there...

I thought the quotes about Parker were some of the most interesting parts of the availability.  

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I thought the quotes about Parker were some of the most interesting parts of the availability.  

I did too...

Makes you wonder about the dropoff that Coach Woody spoke of...

My hope is that he initially came out with a scrimmage intensity that the other players weren't matching, and they finally caught on and caught up...that'd be a good thing...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I did too...

Makes you wonder about the dropoff that Coach Woody spoke of...

My hope is that he initially came out with a scrimmage intensity that the other players weren't matching, and they finally caught on and caught up...that'd be a good thing...

My thoughts exactly. I was hoping it was more an issue of others catching up with him and not him regressing. Woody did mention him in his answer to the question about who the five best offensive players had been. I’m probably as excited to see him as any of our players. Maybe it’s my renewed optimism, but I’m bullish on the young man’s potential for us. 

On 8/4/2021 at 10:38 AM, 13th&Jackson said:

Correct, but it does show how quickly things are changing again. Just a couple weeks ago, it was if you're vaccinated you can go anywhere and do anything.

That was what I thought as well. If the trip is cancelled it bodes poorly for a normal season.

26 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Not that it matters much in this setting, but what are everyone’s thoughts on who starts on Friday?  

I’ll go with:

TJD

Race

Rob

Parker. 

Im not saying that is who it will be in November, but that’s my prediction for Friday. 

From what we've heard, I think you have it pegged...

Only one that might be questioned is maybe Kopp for Parker...