Bahama trip

It took me awhile to identify Jordan Geromino.  He seems much leaner than he was last year.  He certainly hit the boards.

TJD was all over the court doing all kinds of little things as well as the big things.

Kopp was the man.  He fits this team very well.

Coach MW was right that they need a lot of work, but their defense is clearly very good. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Man if only.  Couldn’t imagine having to be Archie in job interviews after that either 

Screenshot_20210814-075310.thumb.png.dc78ba316ea9645962581df22e44ab12.png

Tell you what, you be Hall and I'll be Oates...Ready?

"He's gone, He's gone
Oh I, oh I
I better learn how to face it
He's gone, He's gone
Oh I, oh I
I'd pay Woody to replace him,

He's gone, and He's gone
Oh why, what went wrong?"

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, southsidehoosier said:

CMW says anything more than 12 TO’s mean the teams run….love it

Kopp looks like he starred in “Hoosiers”

That and this statement from Coach Woody 

“I’ve learned this a long time ago from Coach Knight: defense wins games,”

Were the highlights of the presser to me...even with all that background noise...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Unfortunate Race Thompson can't be a 6th man. Very solid player. 

You think he'd be more valuable coming off the bench? 

Could be...but do you go with Durr along side TJD to start, or go smaller with Kopp, X, Stewart, and Rob/Tamar with Trayce?

36 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Why would they be taken down? As I understand it, this is just an IU fan, done this on his own as an individual.

Just an assumption on my end because they were only allowing media outlets a max of something like 4 minute clips.  

but you know what they say about assumptions….they make an ass out of umption. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That and this statement from Coach Woody 

“I’ve learned this a long time ago from Coach Knight: defense wins games,”

Were the highlights of the presser to me...even with all that background noise...

You older guys eat that s*** up don't you lol 

Defense wins games.  Right, but if you can't score... you can't get on the court. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You think he'd be more valuable coming off the bench? 

Could be...but do you go with Durr along side TJD to start, or go smaller with Kopp, X, Stewart, and Rob/Tamar with Trayce?

I'm saying... we don't have the talent to send him to the bench. Look if he was Max Bielfeldt.. if we were a top 12 team, Race Thompson would be special off the bench.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You older guys eat that s*** up don't you lol 

Defense wins games.  Right, but if you can't score... you can't get on the court. 

Damn right we do! 😁

Of course you need to score...but don't you think we improved our scoring with the additions we made? 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm saying... we don't have the talent to send him to the bench. Look if he was Max Bielfeldt.. if we were a top 12 team, Race Thompson would be special off the bench.  

I don't know...I think we have what has to be the B1G POY favorite, and possibly a National POY candidate. We have some guys who can score. I think Woody has the flexibility with this roster to go big or small. 

Only time will tell, I guess...but I'm encouraged by the first step...

• Like 1

CMW was right about the Offense, a long way to go. I thought we look awful in the clips. To much dribbling, weak screens and passing. I didnt see NPOY from TJD, I saw a lot of balls tipped to him for easy put backs but nothing that screams NPOY. Rob looked like the same ol' Rob. Dribble no where and throw it away. . But its early in practice. Bates and Kopp were the 2 best players on the court. On D the ball pressure was great. Only issue was the weak side defender got caught moving in to help to many times and left wide open 3's. Reasons for the trip were accomplished. Get practice time, play a couple of games and get some teaching film. I hope to see a lot sharper offense when the season starts. A lot to be excited about.

• Like 1

Salute to the dude (Sean C.) who posted those videos. My wife had plans to meet a friend for brunch/shopping this morning/afternoon and I planned on just smoking a bowl and spinning some albums. Opened up HSN and found the links to the game videos and my day was made. 

Team looks much more energized and just generally into the game. Bates is going to be REALLY, really good. TJD and Race are as expected. Geronimo could also be really special - he just looks dialed in every time. 

Kopp was the one that really stood out to me - besides Bates. At 9:39 in second half when he forced the turnover, dribbled down the court, and then nailed a three. More of that, please. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Damn right we do! 😁

Of course you need to score...but don't you think we improved our scoring with the additions we made? 

I don't know...I think we have what has to be the B1G POY favorite, and possibly a National POY candidate. We have some guys who can score. I think Woody has the flexibility with this roster to go big or small. 

Only time will tell, I guess...but I'm encouraged by the first step...

No I'm excited, as well.  Especially now that there is an emphasis on scoring the basketball multiple ways.  I hated how we played and probably only watched half the games the last two seasons. 

Right we have one player uber talented player.  Line that up against MBs team.. Race does not sniff the starting lineup. I'm just trying to make a general statement. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

CMW was right about the Offense, a long way to go. I thought we look awful in the clips. To much dribbling, weak screens and passing. I didnt see NPOY from TJD, I saw a lot of balls tipped to him for easy put backs but nothing that screams NPOY. Rob looked like the same ol' Rob. Dribble no where and throw it away. . But its early in practice. Bates and Kopp were the 2 best players on the court. On D the ball pressure was great. Only issue was the weak side defender got caught moving in to help to many times and left wide open 3's. Reasons for the trip were accomplished. Get practice time, play a couple of games and get some teaching film. I hope to see a lot sharper offense when the season starts. A lot to be excited about.

So.  TJD isn't a NPOY candidate? 

Be hard to convince me of that. 

I was able to watch Cavanaugh’s YouTube videos, which were awesome.

1. Overall a very impressive performance.  The team was noticeably more energized.  
2. I think they are learning the defense well.  Very few breakdowns and they knew where to switch and rotate.  
3.  Offense was much more decisive than last year.   They saw an opportunity and boom they acted.

4.  TJD was very impressive.   Pretty self-explanatory. Looked more athletic than ever. Good quickness.

5.  Bates is the whole package.  Good length and has very good quickness.  What really stood out was his ball handling.  It’s ready. Good motor too.  He should be starting soon, or at the least getting the most minutes there.  With his length, handle, motor, skill, he probably has the highest ceiling and highest NBA stock.
6.  Miller Kopp was outstanding on offense.  Was an excellent scorer.  However, he’s not a capable rebounder.  He can’t capitalize in that area.  He’s not out there for his defense either.  Having said all that, we don’t need five extremely well rounded players.  We need five guys who know their roles and complement each other.  That is the IU ball we need to get back to. 
7.  Geronimo is like the opposite of Kopp.  Not an advanced offensive player but he hustles like crazy and is a magnet to the ball, both on rebounds and loose balls.  Love his motor.  
8.  Phin got too much run.  No need for that.  He’s very good on the ball for D, and the coaches are probably enamored with that.  But he gives up a lot elsewhere.  I think his role should be as a shutdown defender where we have trouble containing a guard.  He can also be a progress stopper to some of the younger guys.  
9.  Stewart looked lethargic.  He can’t afford to play like that.  Get the aggressiveness back or he’s going to watch Bates a ton.  His lack of quickness on D might be an issue too, at his position.  Maybe he needs to go into a sixth man, swing man role.  Stewart and Phin might need the right kind of matchups.  

• Like 5