Bahama trip

without seeing anything other than tweets and stats... it is encouraging to have 3 new starters from the new guys.  it is very encouraging to see Bates early on.  i think Kopp is just what we need in that role.  Stewart may be a little concerning?  are Rob or Lander really gonna be much better this year?  love the FTs and lack of TOs.  3 point shooting still looking ugly.  very excited to get to the season!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

without seeing anything other than tweets and stats... it is encouraging to have 3 new starters from the new guys.  it is very encouraging to see Bates early on.  i think Kopp is just what we need in that role.  Stewart may be a little concerning?  are Rob or Lander really gonna be much better this year?  love the FTs and lack of TOs.  3 point shooting still looking ugly.  very excited to get to the season!  

3 point shooting will improve, if not already.  Second game Miller was ouy early. Parker has years of evidence his shooting will go up.  Few factors with shooting:  Lifting program is designed to be at max right now since season starts in two months.  The ballroom was a unique place to shoot a basketball.  Low ceiling, surrounding, etc.  Team will improve, if not already.

• Like 1

The two official box scores...

image.thumb.png.a631020f0c6308a0d754ea3120fc094d.png

image.thumb.png.df3334b4fefc38f0c33420094fea7128.png

Only 2 real takeaways...I think both Bates and Geronimo helped their causes for more playing time...and although Coach Woody said Xavier Johnson played a good game, both he and Rob need to shoot the ball better...and I was kind of surprised that Khristian Lander only got about 10 minutes total in the 2 games...I'm guessing it's his defense that's holding him back...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I watched the first game on Cavanaugh’s video on YouTube and I totally agree with all of these points.  

Stewart was just not aggressive and looked slow on D off the bounce.  He’s got to get much better on both ends.  

I think this is a developmental year for Lander.  He needs to work on his strength big time and frankly his skills.  He’s going to need some patience because he’s playing as warranted.  

Love Miller Kopp on offense.  You could say he doesn’t have a position on D and I wouldn’t even call him a willing rebounder.  If he’s in with the trees, he’s not getting the board.  Geronimo will, though.  Kid is a magnet to the ball.  He’s so hyped.  I loved Woody telling him to relax.  

Phinisee should be a specialty player.  I think Woody is giving him a chance to rebuild his confidence but he will find that this is a player you don’t want running your offense.  But if a guard is destroying us off the dribble, he can come in for that purpose. But you’re giving up a lot in all other aspects of the game, and overall that’s not good enough.

Having said all that, I still see a massive jump for this team across the board.  Without even getting into improved schemes, we have added impact talent and returning guys should make a step up, etc.  I think we can be a top team in the conference.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think we can be a top team in the conference.  

I think so too, but I do believe that the backup point guard spot has to be cemented by either Phinisee or Lander for us to challenge for the B1G title...

It's apparent that at least at this point Woody isn't going to start Johnson and Phinisee together...

I think right now our best lineup would be...

TJD 

Race 

Geronimo 

Bates 

Johnson 

Although I can see why Woody might prefer Geronimo off the bench and start either Parker or Kopp in that spot...

85 days...I hope they pass quickly...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think so too, but I do believe that the backup point guard spot has to be cemented by either Phinisee or Lander for us to challenge for the B1G title...

It's apparent that at least at this point Woody isn't going to start Johnson and Phinisee together...

I think right now our best lineup would be...

TJD 

Race 

Geronimo 

Bates 

Johnson 

Although I can see why Woody might prefer Geronimo off the bench and start either Parker or Kopp in that spot...

85 days...I hope they pass quickly...

Good thoughts.  I agree.  I think Woody will ultimately decide that Race, TJD, Kopp, and Stewart together will not be quick enough at 2-4.  Bates for Stewart would make sense.  That would help team defense in terms of quickness.  I might leave Kopp in there because of his ability to score.  

I think Stewart and Kopp together on the wings will have trouble against athletic teams. Maybe Kopp with Bates and Stewart with Geronimo could work.

I suspect Woody wants to see XJ have a big improvement in protecting the ball.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I watched the first game on Cavanaugh’s video on YouTube and I totally agree with all of these points.  

Stewart was just not aggressive and looked slow on D off the bounce.  He’s got to get much better on both ends.  

I think this is a developmental year for Lander.  He needs to work on his strength big time and frankly his skills.  He’s going to need some patience because he’s playing as warranted.  

Love Miller Kopp on offense.  You could say he doesn’t have a position on D and I wouldn’t even call him a willing rebounder.  If he’s in with the trees, he’s not getting the board.  Geronimo will, though.  Kid is a magnet to the ball.  He’s so hyped.  I loved Woody telling him to relax.  

Phinisee should be a specialty player.  I think Woody is giving him a chance to rebuild his confidence but he will find that this is a player you don’t want running your offense.  But if a guard is destroying us off the dribble, he can come in for that purpose. But you’re giving up a lot in all other aspects of the game, and overall that’s not good enough.

Having said all that, I still see a massive jump for this team across the board.  Without even getting into improved schemes, we have added impact talent and returning guys should make a step up, etc.  I think we can be a top team in the conference.  

Game 2, Rob played good defense (as usual) and had 6 assists with zero turnovers.

I think people focus so much on making/missing shots.

His assist to turnover ratio in 2 games is insane, and his defense is always strong.

Not saying he is an all American. But not sure what more anybody could have asked for in those 2 games.....besides shooting %. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Game 2, Rob played good defense (as usual) and had 6 assists with zero turnovers.

His assist to turnover ratio in 2 games is insane, and his defense is always strong.

Not saying he is an all American. But not sure what more anybody could have asked for in those 2 games.....besides shooting %. 

I didn’t see the second game but in the first game, while his D was good, he ran the offense poorly IMO.  

15 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

In all seriousness....

With Coach Woodson indicating not much offensive work has been done yet, it may be early to judge how well anybody ran it.

It will be interesting to watch. The good part, it seems we have options!

There wasn't much to criticize...the nit picking, at least my part, is simply a product of the excitement over the new administration, and being a Hoosier stuck in Texas on the verge of football season 🤮 

85 days...

Rob averaged 29.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 5.9 assists per game his senior year for McCutcheon. I had to look that up but I remember watching him in high school around his junior year and it was common for him to put up 20 or better.

I really pulling for him to get his flow back. The kid has amazing hops and a textbook form on his jumper. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Your opinion is wrong. Mine is right. 

I am a moderator, do not argue with me!   

061920_1170.thumb.jpg.0b34f646383048a714b1cf852b0899de.jpg

I am all for Rob stepping up and taking off this year.  He’s got athletic skill.  I hope he does it.  But he’s a senior and has played a ton so it’s time.  He needs to really take a step forward as many seniors do.  I love his on the ball defensive potential, although there have been bizarre lapses there too where he loses focus.  

I like the 6 ast to zero turnovers on Sunday, which I didn’t see.  Maybe it portends a sharp improvement coming.  With the amount of minutes he’s had, he certainly should be far along by now.  He has looked baffled for the most part running the offense in the past, and it’s been as big of a problem as we’ve had.  Let’s hope the light bulb comes on.  I sense he’s getting some “special project” treatment.  Let’s hope the investment is worth it.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I thought the whole offense sucked in game 2, so Rob was just one of the guys. You hearing Woody yelling, no one is setting screens and yelling at guys to cut hard. They were just jogging when cutting through the lane. A lot of work to do on that end. which CMW kept pointing out. The other team was running the same offense and they moved the ball quicker with passing, our guards still love the dribble.

6 hours ago, H00sier said:

First thing that stood out was how does Davis log 64 min over two game and not have 1 foul called against him, don’t look for that ever again outta any center, weird.

I could only go off stats but if this Serbian team plays like most European teams their bigs play a more perimeter oriented game and aren’t physical. Zero is extreme but I can see not having a lot fouls.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:25 PM, Seeking6 said:

Mike Woodson after the game on Kopp's ankle....Sh-- he'll be alright. Love this guy. I think every single one of us over the last 2 decades haven't mentioned Woodson as a legit candidate. I'll be the first one to say how wrong I've been....at least up to this point.

I couldn't have been more wrong about the Woodson hire thus far and I am thrilled with it.  

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

3 point shooting will improve, if not already.  Second game Miller was ouy early. Parker has years of evidence his shooting will go up.  Few factors with shooting:  Lifting program is designed to be at max right now since season starts in two months.  The ballroom was a unique place to shoot a basketball.  Low ceiling, surrounding, etc.  Team will improve, if not already.

I'd add Parker had about 18 months off of real games. If a bad shooting night is 31% from three instead of 13% I think we will be okay. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd add Parker had about 18 months off of real games. If a bad shooting night is 31% from three instead of 13% I think we will be okay. 

Great point!  Watching some of the clips over twitter - shot looks terrific and him and the entire team were shooting over length that I don't know if they will see much in the NCAA.

Sounds like a successful trip. I didn’t expect to win so that was a nice surprise. 

It sounds like “fun” was one of the words that kept coming up. The players seemed to have fun playing. The fans seemed to have fun on the trip. The style of play sounds like it was fun to watch. 

• Like 3