Roadkill

5fouls

While driving this morning, in the rain, i started to approach a squirrel that was beginning to cross the road.  I started to slow down to allow him to make his way across, but as I got closer, he panicked and started to dance around like a NFL running back trying to make tackler miss instead of just going straight across.  I had to slam on my brakes on the rain soaked road to avoid sending him to nut heaven.  Even though this little guy got a second chance, it made me think back to some of those times where the critter was not so lucky. 

My most memorable experience was when I was in college, driving down a country road with my window down and my left arm hanging out the open window.  Caught a rabbit flush with my front driver's side tire and ended up with bunny guts all over my arm.  There's no feeling quite like getting splattered with guts.  It's hard to describe. 

The biggest thing I ever hit was a dog.  Rolled him going about 60 but he came out the back end and gingerly jogged away. 

Came very close to hitting 3 deer that froze right in front of me just as I went around a blind curve on a hill.  Literally stopped less than a foot from them.

Hit a turtle with my drivers side front tire one time.  I can't imagine a large rock causing any more of a jolt.

Anyone else have a memorable story where you were the culprit in a vehicular animalcide?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hit an armadillo on I59 southbound about a month ago...like hitting a speed bump at 75 MPH...I did take it to my neighbor's lift and check it out...thankfully, no damage...

You took the armadillo to your neighbors lift?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I've sent many a bird, bug and Squirrel (stooopid little suckers. Their decision process when faced with oncoming traffic makes me laugh so hard because every time I see it, it reminds me of my 2nd wife trying to put on a t-shirt. Yes she was that stoopid). But I digress.

Back in the day at the firehouse, we were used to going on deer vrs. vehicle 10-50 PI's. But one night, about 2 in the AM, was called out on a Horse vrs car crash. It was a large draft horse (~ #2,500), not a normal ride. OMG the damage was intense. We actually had to extricate the driver, totally trapped. 

• Sad 1

When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a deer run into the side of an approaching car, and then I ran over it. I hit another deer with a Toyota Tercel. I don't think I killed it, but it spun me totally around. When I got home, their was deer hair stuck in the hood.

Living here in NE Indiana, I drove SR 120 past a house that had chickens roaming the yard. I was driving a Chrysler Town and Country, and must have been going about 60 mph. One of the chickens strayed onto the road and I hit it. Looking in my rear view mirror, the entire back window was a blizzard of feathers for a minute.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

While driving this morning, in the rain, i started to approach a squirrel that was beginning to cross the road.  I started to slow down to allow him to make his way across, but as I got closer, he panicked and started to dance around like a NFL running back trying to make tackler miss instead of just going straight across.  I had to slam on my brakes on the rain soaked road to avoid sending him to nut heaven.  Even though this little guy got a second chance, it made me think back to some of those times where the critter was not so lucky. 

My most memorable experience was when I was in college, driving down a country road with my window down and my left arm hanging out the open window.  Caught a rabbit flush with my front driver's side tire and ended up with bunny guts all over my arm.  There's no feeling quite like getting splattered with guts.  It's hard to describe. 

The biggest thing I ever hit was a dog.  Rolled him going about 60 but he came out the back end and gingerly jogged away. 

Came very close to hitting 3 deer that froze right in front of me just as I went around a blind curve on a hill.  Literally stopped less than a foot from them.

Hit a turtle with my drivers side front tire one time.  I can't imagine a large rock causing any more of a jolt.

Anyone else have a memorable story where you were the culprit in a vehicular animalcide?

Freshman year at IU. Buddies and I drove up to Market Square to see Metallica (Enter Sandman tour). Our one designated driver had said no problem getting us home. Somehow he got twisted a bit(from LA)  and long story short we ended up 20 miles South of Columbus when he woke us up lost. Literally 2-3 minutes after getting him straight we clipped a deer and the only visual I can remember is the deer flying over the car. 

Still feel bad about that one.

• Like 2

Shortly after leaving home to go to IU for the fall semester, a deer ran into my front quarter panel and bounced off. Just minor damage.

Aside from that, I'm amazed I haven't hit much with the driving I do. For many years, I was putting on 25k+ miles per year. Only other incidents I can recall are birds getting hit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a deer run into the side of an approaching car, and then I ran over it. I hit another deer with a Toyota Tercel. I don't think I killed it, but it spun me totally around. When I got home, their was deer hair stuck in the hood.

I've likewise had a deer run into the SIDE of my vehicle.  About $3,000 worth of damage, but she got up, shook her head and ran back off into the woods.

Craziest thing I ever had happen was a chicken walking at the edge of a back country road we were slow cruising in Tennessee...probably going about 30 mph.  As I approached, the chicken picked up speed and started crossing the road, panicked and flew, smacking into my windshield before running off the other side dragging a wing. 

Next morning, some smartass in the group left an egg on my motorcycle seat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Living here in NE Indiana, I drove SR 120 past a house that had chickens roaming the yard. I was driving a Chrysler Town and Country, and must have been going about 60 mph. One of the chickens strayed onto the road and I hit it. Looking in my rear view mirror, the entire back window was a blizzard of feathers for a minute.

I drove up 90 to 94 one time from Madison to Minneapolis and I swear dead deer were like mile markers...

Years ago I lived in Warren, IN and worked out of Pendleton.  I pretty much made that drive every day.  So one morning I am cruising down I-69.  Right around the Fairmount exit something catches my eye but it is too late.  A turtledove flew right into my passenger side mirror on my Silverado.  Knocked the glass out and was wedged in there.  The deceased bird rode all the way with me to the shop where I promptly fed it to my boss's cats.  I get back to Warren that night and stop by the GM dealer to order a new mirror.  I couldn't buy just 1 for the passenger side.  I had to buy the set.  Damn near $200 iirc correctly.  Doesn't matter.  A few days later coming home on I-69 around the Fairmount exit a different turtledove took out my driver's side mirror...long story short, keep your eyes peeled for turtledoves.

• Haha 5

When I was in grad school I was working midnights and one night while driving to work on highway two deer ran right out in front of me and literally froze like a deer in headlights. They were standing in such a way I couldn't avoid them without driving off the road as I slammed on the brakes. One went down and stayed down and also smashed up my car bumper/hood. I had about a 45 minute drive to work and was only 10 minutes in, so I had to go back home and call off as my hood was flying up and I didn't have a bungy cord in my car so I proceeded to drive home at about 25 MPH.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rico said:

Years ago I lived in Warren, IN and worked out of Pendleton.  I pretty much made that drive every day.  So one morning I am cruising down I-69.  Right around the Fairmount exit something catches my eye but it is too late.  A turtledove flew right into my passenger side mirror on my Silverado.  Knocked the glass out and was wedged in there.  The deceased bird rode all the way with me to the shop where I promptly fed it to my boss's cats.  I get back to Warren that night and stop by the GM dealer to order a new mirror.  I couldn't buy just 1 for the passenger side.  I had to buy the set.  Damn near $200 iirc correctly.  Doesn't matter.  A few days later coming home on I-69 around the Fairmount exit a different turtledove took out my driver's side mirror...long story short, keep your eyes peeled for turtledoves.

I can tell you that I would not recognize a turtle dove if it hit me in the drivers side mirror

1 hour ago, rico said:

Two Turtle Doves?  I would have been watching out for a Partridge in A Pear Tree after that.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I agree, as a hunter their is no better feeling than field dressing an animal when it's 15 degrees outside.  It's gross but it does warm your fingers 

• Haha 1

If it runs,walks, swims, flys, hops, crawls I've hunted and killed them all. Rabbits and deer are my favorite.  

Only exceptions, are bear, elk, caribou, moose, and geese. I've eaten them but haven't personally put them on my table if you know what I mean. 

I've even eaten alligator, snakes, turtle.  

From legs are phenomenal.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

If it runs,walks, swims, flys, hops, crawls I've hunted and killed them all. Rabbits and deer are my favorite.  

Only exceptions, are bear, elk, caribou, moose, and geese. I've eaten them but haven't personally put them on my table if you know what I mean. 

I've even eaten alligator, snakes, turtle.  

From legs are phenomenal.

From, or frog legs are tasty.

Gator is good.

Bear has to have all the fat stripped off or it is rancid.

Any type of sausage, be it venison, or whatever, is good.

Bison burgers are the best. But not sure you are hunting buffalo

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

From, or frog legs are tasty.

Gator is good.

Bear has to have all the fat stripped off or it is rancid.

Any type of sausage, be it venison, or whatever, is good.

Bison burgers are the best. But not sure you are hunting buffalo

From was a typo.  

Frog legs are awesome.  Biggest frog legs I ever gigged came from golf courses. 

That's what I meant to say. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1