Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

On 4/20/2020 at 6:50 AM, IUFLA said:

Alrighty then...here's a tough one...

Only two NL clubs have had 3 different players win the NL MVP award in 3 consecutive seasons...

What were the teams and who were the players?

It was in the 2021 Baseball thread...asked by a future Alzheimer's sufferer who can't remember his own trivia questions 🤔

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The first guy is definitely Ernie Lombardi...and the third I think is Frank McCormick...I'll take a wag and say the middle guy is Bucky Walters...

All 3 were on the 1940 Reds World Series champions?

You got the 3 names right. Not the connection I'm looking for though.

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Roberto Clemente tipping his cap to the crowd after his 3,000, and final, hit. As a boy, my most treasured baseball card was a 1972 Clemente.  And, I wasn't even a Pirate fan.   

Clemente's 3,000th Hit: Helmet Raised to a Sparse Crowd. - The New York  Times

I had this card of "The Great One." 

Screenshot_20210827-070531.thumb.png.7955d58ae14eb4a8af86acd433dd588a.png

Only later did I read he hated being called "Bob." It was said Pirates admin staff and writers called him that just to get under his skin, because he was perceived as arrogant.

BTW, he was the best outfielder I ever saw...including Willie Mays (who is a close second)

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Speaking of the Pirates...I loved me some Dave Parker.

I've told you guys all of my friends growing up were Reds fans. In 73 or 74, we went to Riverfront for a couple of games against the Pirates. We were always the kind that got there when the gates opened so we could watch batting practice.

We saw Parker, who none of us had even heard of yet, hit one in BP way into third deck. I'd never heard a crowd gasp like that during BP.

He didn't play in either game though. Pirates journeyman Ed Kirkpatrick homered in each of the 2 games, and my friends went home sad...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Roberto Clemente tipping his cap to the crowd after his 3,000, and final, hit. As a boy, my most treasured baseball card was a 1972 Clemente.  And, I wasn't even a Pirate fan.   

Clemente's 3,000th Hit: Helmet Raised to a Sparse Crowd. - The New York  Times

He was one of those hitters I thought was ALWAYS going to get a hit.  One of the most complete all-around players that I ever saw play.   Just a great ballplayer.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, rico said:

I had a hand in building Carl Erskine Elementary in Anderson quite a few years back.  Carl was there checking out the baseball diamond when I met him.

He's one of the "Boys of Summer" I love reading about...

I've posted this picture before...

Screenshot_20210827-072435.thumb.png.5161cf2495f83d87ba678b0b0847f61d.png

In game 7 of the 1955 WS Sandy Amoros had been put in by Walter Alston in the bottom of the 6th for defensive purposes with the Dodgers clinging to a 2-0 lead. He had replaced Junior Gilliam (who moved to second base, replacing a guy who became a pretty famous manager).

First 2 got on for the Yankees, with Yogi Berra, a dead pull left handed hitter up. Amoros was way shaded to center when Yogi sliced one down the left field line. It's been thought that Gilliam, being a righty and not the best outfielder, wouldn't have been able to reach the ball, but lefty Amoros did, then threw an excellent relay to Pee Wee Reese, who turned and fired to first, doubling off Bobby Richardson and squelching the Yankees rally. Johnny Podres held them the rest of the way for a 2-0 shutout win. The Dodgers first, and only WS win in Brooklyn. Before that, the Yankees had beaten them in the series in 41, 47, 49, 52, and 53.

Sorry I get carried away, but it's one of my favorite subjects. As @5fouls said, thanks @Steubenhoosier for starting this. 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He's one of the "Boys of Summer" I love reading about...

I've posted this picture before...

Screenshot_20210827-072435.thumb.png.5161cf2495f83d87ba678b0b0847f61d.png

In game 7 of the 1955 WS Sandy Amoros had been put in by Walter Alston in the bottom of the 6th for defensive purposes with the Dodgers clinging to a 2-0 lead. He had replaced Junior Gilliam (who moved to second base, replacing a guy who became a pretty famous manager).

First 2 got on for the Yankees, with Yogi Berra, a dead pull left handed hitter up. Amaros was way shaded to center when Yogi sliced one down the left field line. It's been thought that Gilliam, being a righty and not the best outfielder, wouldn't have been able to reach the ball, but lefty Amoros did, then threw an excellent relay to Pee Wee Reese, who turned and fired to first, doubling off Bobby Richardson and squelching the Yankees rally. Johnny Podres held them the rest of the way for a 2-0 shutout win. The Dodgers first, and only WS win in Brooklyn. Before that, the Yankees had beaten them in the series in 41, 47, 49, 52, and 53.

Sorry I get carried away, but it's one of my favorite subjects. As @5fouls said, thanks @Steubenhoosier for starting this. 

One minor correction to the story.  The box score for that game shows Billy Martin was playing second for the Yankees.  Bobby Richardson was only 19 in 1955 and appeared in 11 games for NY.  In 1957 he began his tenure at second until 1966.