Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

4 hours ago, rico said:

I want to elaborate on that game a little more from a personal stand point.  That was the 1st game I ever attended with my Dad.  He had volunteered to be one of the chaperones on our Little League trip.  Good times.  It also marked the 1st time I ever ate at a Burger King.  I talked about that Whopper I ate for 6 months, or so my parents say.  LOL.  Once again, good times.

This thread has made me realize that I really need to go see a ball game with my old man again while there is still time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rico said:

I want to elaborate on that game a little more from a personal stand point.  That was the 1st game I ever attended with my Dad.  He had volunteered to be one of the chaperones on our Little League trip.  Good times.  It also marked the 1st time I ever ate at a Burger King.  I talked about that Whopper I ate for 6 months, or so my parents say.  LOL.  Once again, good times.

This thread has made me realize that I really need to go see a ball game with my old man again while there is still time.

If he's up for it then you do it.  Great story, btw.   😊

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hey @Billingsley99, show our guy Ayden the original powder blues of the Seattle Pilots...

seattlepilotsbluejersey_1296x.png.fca02ce0476d2e0a0e96fdf9535e4269.png

They had a pretty snappy hat too, with the "scrambled eggs" on the bill...

s-l400.jpg

He would love that. I will show him. Wonder if Junior wore those as a throw back We been at ER with him all day. Stomach bug had his seriously dehydrated had to get some fluids in him

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

He would love that. I will show him. Wonder if Junior wore those as a throw back We been at ER with him all day. Stomach bug had his seriously dehydrated had to get some fluids in him

Sorry to hear that...hope he's ok...he's always in my thoughts...he's a brave kid

• Like 1

JJ Furmaniak stats

Posting this because I use to work with this kid's Mom. She was a computer operator at Chicago Center. Nice lady. She was so proud of him making the bigs, even if it was for the proverbial "cup of coffee." She got to go see him play at Wrigley when he was with the Bucs, and it was definitely one of the thrills of her life. 

We all dreamed it...he lived it...good for you, JJ!

Screenshot_20210905-173905.thumb.png.3b0791795e585a1b84ca1ec33fa2ff1d.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Don't see this anymore in major league dugouts. 

Remember, and loved these unis as well

May be an image of 1 person and text that says '☆ RAT 23 RATE 35 3'

The Pirates were my first little league team so I tried to watch a lot of them. I was shocked when they would show those guys smoking on TV. It was like the first time I opened the door to the teachers lounge. It made me look at them differently for sure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Pirates were my first little league team so I tried to watch a lot of them. I was shocked when they would show those guys smoking on TV. It was like the first time I opened the door to the teachers lounge. It made me look at them differently for sure.

Danny Dreissen bummed a Marlboro off of me in the lobby of the Chase Park hotel in St Louis circa 1977...

• Haha 3

In December of 1943, Lieutenant John "Jocko" Thompson of Beverly, Massachusetts, was on the heights of Italy's Mount Sammucro with a battalion of the U.S. 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment.

Battling Germans on the long road to capture Rome, the 504th had parachuted into Italy back in September, and now found itself clinging to a rocky mountain peak in the Apennine Range, trading rifle fire and mortar rounds with the enemy on a neighboring peak.

During a heavy artillery bombardment on December 13th, thirteen of Thompson's comrades were knocked out of action, and then a bullet found him....

The round smashed into his chest, knocking him backwards and stunning him.

But when he was checked for wounds, none were found. The bullet - most likely spent - had struck the Army spoon he had in the pocket of his jump jacket.

This wasn't a strange place for it - to conserve weight, many paratroopers left their mess kits behind when they made a combat jump, taking with them only their spoon, which was the most pragmatic utensil in the kit.

Lieutenant Thompson went on to lead troops in Operation Market Garden in 1944, parachuting into Holland, survived the Battle of the Bulge in December of that year, and later served in the occupation force in Germany. 

During the war he was wounded twice (and carried shrapnel in his body for the rest of his life), and received two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star for heroism in combat.

When he received his discharge after the war's end, he returned to his pre-war profession: playing professional baseball in the Red Sox farm system before being called up to the Majors in 1948 to pitch for the Philadelphia Phillies.

image.thumb.png.bf59bd7bca5396b496eab3c73a0f3cf7.pngimage.thumb.png.7bd3992527dc683d5c6cbbe62e79a602.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

May be an image of 1 person and standing

Robert Granville Lemon (September 22, 1920 – January 11, 2000), pitched from 1942-1942 & 1946-1958 with Cleveland. He missed three seasons due to WWII. Lemon was a 207 game winner, seven time all star, and led the AL in wins three times. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1976.
May be an image of 1 person and standing

Also managed the Yankees to a World Series title in 1978...