Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

There was a lot of chatter earlier this year when the Pirates dude chased Javy Baez back towards home plate while a run scored.  people were acting like it was the biggest gaffe in the history of baseball.

Nope.  This guy will likely forever hold that distinction based on the sheer consequences of his bonehead play.

Let me introduce you to Fred Merkle.

See the source image

Edited by 5fouls

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There was a lot of chatter earlier this year when the Pirates dude chased Javy Baez back towards home plate while a run scored.  people were acting like it was the biggest gaffe in the history of baseball.

Nope.  This guy will likely forever hold that distinction based on the sheer consequences of his bonehead play.

Let me introduce you to Fred Merkle.

See the source image

Worse yet, using the lingo of the day, the way the newspapers portrayed it...😁

Screenshot_20210923-161240.thumb.png.80eb4d41144e3e78841049dae2bbd9d8.png

• Haha 1

I have always had a passion for vintage baseball and those who played back then.  I used to write to some of the old players and collect autographs.  One such player was Tot Pressnell.  I was going to be driving through Findlay Oh, and told him I would love to buy him lunch and listen to his stories.  He told me to stop by anytime, so I did.  We sat in his living room for a couple of hours.  He told me stories about Babe Ruth, (they had adjoining lockers in Brooklyn, and suffice it to say, Tot was not a fan.  Tot told me he pitched in the first night game at Ebbets Field, and if memory served he also pitched in the first MLB game ever televised against the Reds.  After awhile he asked if I wanted to go to the basement and see his stuff.  I said "of course" and he took me downstairs and showed me all of his old photos with players I had only read about in books.  He continued telling stories, with each picture and momento.  He had Christmas cards from Pee Wee Reese he had saved from many years.  It was an amazing afternoon listening to him tell his stories.  I think he really enjoyed the stroll down memory lane as well.  I only wish I had recorded, or at least written down all of the things we discussed.  He was a kind and humble man.  

See the source image

Edited by Muddy River
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I have always had a passion for vintage baseball and those who played back then.  I used to write to some of the old players and collect autographs.  One such player was Tot Pressnell.  I was going to be driving through Findlay Oh, and told him I would love to buy him lunch and listen to his stories.  He told me to stop by anytime, so I did.  We sat in his living room for a couple of hours.  He told me stories about Babe Ruth, (they had adjoining lockers in Brooklyn, and suffice it to say, Tot was not a fan.  Tot told me he pitched in the first night game at Ebbets Field, and if memory served he also pitched in the first MLB game ever televised against the Reds.  After awhile he asked if I wanted to go to the basement and see his stuff.  I said "of course" and he took me downstairs and showed me all of his old photos with players I had only read about in books.  He continued telling stories, with each picture and momento.  He had Christmas cards from Pee Wee Reese he had saved from many years.  It was an amazing afternoon listening to him tell his stories.  I think he really enjoyed the stroll down memory lane as well.  I only wish I had recorded, or at least written down all of the things we discussed.  He was a kind and humble man.  

Great story!

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

On September 25, 1965, the Kansas City Athletics start ageless wonder Satchel Paige in a game against the Boston Red Sox. The 59-year-old Paige, a Negro League legend, proved his greatness once again by giving up only one hit in his three innings of play.

image.thumb.png.ac3d0c70d90c3a9eedb066e2a395276b.png

Just to put age into perspective, that would be the equivalent of Roger Clemens taking the mound today.