Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

On 10/4/2021 at 11:25 PM, 5fouls said:

Crosley Field underwater during the historic 1937 Ohio River flood.  

See the source image

I’ve actually never seen that shot before. I know where Crosley was and wow…..

Riverfront or GABP, yeah that’s easy to picture, but Crosley had to be a good mile at least from the riverfront. 

Sandy Koufax.  Some say he was the best ever to take the mound.  I never saw him pitch, but longevity does play a part when I start evaluating the all-time greats.  Not saying his 6 year stretch wasn't dominant, because it was.  But, there are other that had dominant 5-6 year stretches and pitched 15-20 years that have to be considered first when discussing the all-timers.  

See the source image

• Like 2

Looking at the two previous pics of Koufax and Tony C, you can see how wearing baseball "stirrups" evolved in the 60s...When I was about 10, I had my mom sew in a piece of material in the stirrups my little league had issued us, and I was the coolest guy on the field...My mom musta fielded 100 questions from other mom's on how she did it...I was a high stirrup guy the rest of my baseball career...

Homage to the trend setter...

FR6.thumb.jpg.6e0e1aa204aa3677b3558df0bb7c6dd8.jpg

And I hate the pants all the way to the shoe look...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

When I was growing up in the 1970's, my dad was a devoted Reds fan.  But, when he was a younger man, he was a huge Mickey Mantle fan.  When he was about 19-20 years old, he and his brother drove from southern Indiana to New York City just to see Mickey play in a game.  Afterwards, they turned around and drove right back home.   

I lost my dad way too early in 1984, when I was 19.  I hope and pray each day that my son and I get to experience moments as adults that my dad and I never did.

See the source image

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

When I was growing up in the 1970's, my dad was a devoted Reds fan.  But, when he was a younger man, he was a huge Mickey Mantle fan.  When he was about 19-20 years old, he and his brother drove from southern Indiana to New York City just to see Mickey play in a game.  Afterwards, they turned around and drove right back home.   

I lost my dad way too early in 1984, when I was 19.  I hope and pray each day that my son and I get to experience moments as adults that my dad and I never did.

See the source image

He was at the end when I became aware of baseball. I remember him hitting a 6th inning homer (his last of a record 18 in WS play) off of Bob Gibson in game 7 of the 1964 World Series. Gibson held on for a complete game (chubbyville for @IU Scott) 7-5 win...Johnny Keane, Gibson's manager (and that's a whole different story) later said, "I had a commitment to his heart." 

By the time 1969 rolled around, Mantle was through...a shell of himself. The injuries, drinking, and carousing had taken their toll...

"The Last Boy" by Jane Leavy is a great book about The Mick. In the end, you admire Mick for his struggle and his triumph toward the end of his life.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In honor of last night's controversial ending, I bring you Don Denkinger.

See the source image

I was at a World Series Clinching Party at my wife's cousin's place with a house full of Cardinal fans in Belleville, Illinois when that happened...I have to admit, I deserved an Oscar for feigning sorrow that night...

One guy said, "Well, we'll win game 7." I didn't want break up the party so I stayed silent, but I knew it was over...

11-0 I think was the final...

• Like 2