Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

9 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Don't forget Sheffield rookies! I had my parents drive me around to the local drug stores/convenience stores in 89 looking for those packs of Ripken FF error. I think I bought like 3 boxes and pulled 4 of them. I set up at a card show and sold 3 of them for $45-$50 a pop and made a nice profit and kept one. I still have one.

Did you bust the boxes open yet?

Yes we opened 5. Got 6 Ripken all black box corrections. 4 Griffey Rookies 2 Randy Johnson blacked out Marlboro ad, several sheffield cards. These must have been late boxes in the run after all the errors were noticed. 

Between all of the unopened packs of Donruss, Fleer and Bowman we got 14 Griffey rookie cards. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes we opened 5. Got 6 Ripken all black box corrections. 4 Griffey Rookies 2 Randy Johnson blacked out Marlboro ad, several sheffield cards. These must have been late boxes in the run after all the errors were noticed. 

Between all of the unopened packs of Donruss, Fleer and Bowman we got 14 Griffey rookie cards. 

I remember when those 89 Bowman cards came out...I was visiting my older sister who just got married and was living near Kings Island,  in Mason, OH. Those just came out and a card dealer there had them for like $14-$15 a box so I bought one and pulled a couple of those Griffey Jr. rookies from it. I think they had the card with Jr/Sr on same card as well. They were a cool novelty at the time since they were oversized...although it was a pain to store them ha.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

May be an image of 3 people and people standing

Barnstorming...There are a lot of great stories about it in various books I've read...Some true, some probably not...Really the only place major leaguers and Negro league players could face off before 1947...

During one barnstorming tour, Dizzy Dean said of Satchel Paige "If Satch and I were pitching on the same team, we'd clinch the pennant by the fourth of July and go fishing until World Series time."

image.png.650bf13c71b1dfafea4f3c7cf0448444.png

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 1:43 PM, IUFLA said:

Barnstorming...There are a lot of great stories about it in various books I've read...Some true, some probably not...Really the only place major leaguers and Negro league players could face off before 1947...

During one barnstorming tour, Dizzy Dean said of Satchel Paige "If Satch and I were pitching on the same team, we'd clinch the pennant by the fourth of July and go fishing until World Series time."

image.png.650bf13c71b1dfafea4f3c7cf0448444.png

I can hear Dizzy now starting to sing "The Wabash Cannonball" and cracking open a Falstaff.

My mom said he sampled the product he promoted a little too much.  I didn't really understand what she meant until some years later.

• Like 2

I was playing The Show 21 Xbox game with Ayden and we did a home-run derby at the Polo Grounds and no one could hit a shot to straight away center field. In fact at 489 ft only 4 players ever did it.Only four people ever hit home runs into center field: Luke Easter in a Negro Leagues game, Hank Aaron and Lou Brock, on consecutive days, and Joe Adcock.

Polo Grounds - history, photos and more of the New York Giants former  ballpark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was playing The Show 21 Xbox game with Ayden and we did a home-run derby at the Polo Grounds and no one could hit a shot to straight away center field. In fact at 489 ft only 4 players ever did it.Only four people ever hit home runs into center field: Luke Easter in a Negro Leagues game, Hank Aaron and Lou Brock, on consecutive days, and Joe Adcock.

Polo Grounds - history, photos and more of the New York Giants former  ballpark

A lot of people wouldn't think Lou Brock, but he had some real power to go along with that speed...

He would have had to done it as a Cub in 1962 or 1963 when the Mets played their home games at the Polo Grounds...Shea Stadium opened in 1964 and Brock was traded to the Cardinals in June of 64 (ugh!)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN ranked the top 100 players of all time.  Here is a link for the top 25 with embedded links to get to the remainder of the list.  Brief writeups on each as well, which is nice.  They considered everyone, regardless of whether they have been banned from HOF or not.  If I counted properly, there are either 5 active players on the list, 6 if you count Pujols as active.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33158613/top-100-mlb-players-all-nos-25-1

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

For a comparison, in 14,530 at bats Joe DiMaggio (369) and Ted Williams (709) struck out less than half as many times combined  in their careers as Jackson (9,864 ABs) did...

In 1941, the year of the 56 game hit streak and the .400 average, Dimaggio struck out 13 times, and Williams 27.  That 13 number is almost unbelievable when compared to the game today.  That's literally an average week for some of these guys.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...