Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

On 4/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, Seeking6 said:

Which is why I'll never forget how we torched Prior, Wood, and Zambrano arms. We finally had our version of Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz and in a way only the Cubs could do it we destroyed that in short order. 

I can remember watching Wood's 20K game live on WGN.  Pure dominance.  And the Astros wound up leading the majors in OBP, with at least half that lineup hitting .300 for the season. 

On 4/24/2022 at 10:30 AM, Seeking6 said:

Haha. I didn't want to mention him but certainly was thinking about him when discussing pitch count or in Baker's case if the arm is still attached you go back out there. 

And if it wasn't attached....duct tape, rub some dirt on it and get back out there, son!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I can remember watching Wood's 20K game live on WGN.  Pure dominance.  And the Astros wound up leading the majors in OBP, with at least half that lineup hitting .300 for the season. 

If not for one little roller, that would have arguably been the greatest pitching performance in MLB history. 

I'd never seen a game before or since where every batter in the lineup was overmatched...and that was a pretty good lineup...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

If not for one little roller, that would have arguably been the greatest pitching performance in MLB history. 

I'd never seen a game before or since where every batter in the lineup was overmatched...and that was a pretty good lineup...

A really good lineup: Bagwell, Biggio, Derek Bell, Moises Alou, Carl Everett…

4 of those guys hit .300 that year, and Everett just missed at .296. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, IUFLA said:

The Boys of Summer...

1955-Team-Photo.thumb.jpg.2f4989c17630c7fb3de69e64a98ab4ee.jpg

"We're talkin' baseball!  Kluszewski, Campanella.  Talking' baseball!  The Man and Bobby Feller.  The Scooter, the Barber, and the Newc,  They knew'em all from Boston to Dubuque.  Especially Willie, Mickey, and the Duke."    😁

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

image.thumb.png.303f1fc9ee396f8137029095c94a73ba.png

The only home run Joe Niekro hit in his 22 year career was on a pitch from his brother Phil, 46 years ago today, May 29, 1976. 

Given the chance, I would have served one up for my brother 

Are there any knuckleballers left? Wakefield was the last one I remember that did well...

Hoyt Wilhelm, Eddie Fisher, the Niekro brothers, Wilber Wood, Jim Bolton (at the end of his career), Charlie Hough...

Is RA Dickey still active? 

Edited by IUFLA

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Are there any knuckleballers left? Wakefield was the last one I remember that did well...

Hoyt Wilhelm, Eddie Fisher, the Niekro brothers, Wilber Wood, Jim Bolton (at the end of his career), Charlie Hough...

Don’t think so. I may resurrect my career though 😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Don’t think so. I may resurrect my career though 😁

I could throw one that didn't spin about a 3rd of the time. The spinners were like BP pitches...when it didn't spin the movement was phenomenal... 

Never had the nerve to throw one in a real game though... 

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I seem to remember Baltimore having one very recently.  

• Thanks 1