Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

October 3rd, 1947 World Series ...Cookie Lavagetto breaks up the Yankees Bill Bevens' no hitter with 2 out in the 9th of game 4  to give the Dodgers a win and knot the series at 2-2...The Yankees would go on to win the series in 7 games...

The great Red Barber on the call...

• Like 2

Casey Stengel.

Before taking over at the help of the Yankees in 1949, he managed Brooklyn and Boston in the NL for 9 years, never finishing above 5th.  

In his first 10 years with the Yankees, he won 9 American League pennants and 7 World Series.  He won his 10th AL crown in 1960, losing his last game as Yankee manager when Bill Mazeroski hit his game winning home run in Game 7 of the World Series.

After being let go by the Yankees, he managed the expansion Mets for 3 and a half years before retiring.

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@IU Scottwill love this story. A pitcher finishing a complete game under the toughest of circumstances.  I have to admit.  It does make it look like today's athletes are soft.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32061845/the-incredible-story-mlb-pitcher-survived-lightning-strike-finish-game

Just as he gets set, a flash from the sky explodes down into the middle of the field. Shortstop Ray Chapman feels a surge of electricity go down his leg, and the violence of the lightning strike causes players to dive for the ground. "I took off my mask and threw it as far as I could," Cleveland catcher Steve O'Neill says later of his metal mask. "I didn't want it to attract any bolts toward me."

Five seconds after the bolt hits the ground, everybody looks around. The eight Indians position players are OK, but their newest teammate is not. Caldwell is on his back, arms spread wide, out cold on the mound. The lightning strike had hit him directly.

Players rush to Caldwell, but the first man who touches him leaps in the air, saying he'd been zapped by Caldwell's prone body.

So everybody steps back and just stares. Caldwell's chest is smoldering from where the bolt burned it. They're terrified to touch him, and nobody does.

All of them wonder: Is Ray Caldwell dead?

RIGHT AROUND THE time everybody on the field is ready to pronounce Caldwell dead, the 31-year-old pitcher starts groaning and crawls back to his knees, then his feet.

Teammates rejoice, but still, everybody keeps their distance from the guy whose chest was just on fire. They offer to walk with him off the field as he heads to the hospital. But Caldwell is incredulous.

"I have one more out to get," he says.

image.png.f3ef99deb9ead4b3b2f214b0c4de67cc.png

• Like 3

Not sure if this is really vintage or not, and the pics don't do it justice but here is about half of our haul last night at a baseball auction. I will update as we sort.  I do know we got at least 10 Griffey jr rookie cards, 20 Ohtani rookies and 10 Joe Burrow those were just ones not in sets or boxes or the 800 plus unopened packs. It was a great time and I love sharing a hobby with Ayden that I loved as a kid.

20211123_082642.jpg

20211123_082608.jpg

20211123_082557.jpg

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not sure if this is really vintage or not, and the pics don't do it justice but here is about half of our haul last night at a baseball auction. I will update as we sort.  I do know we got at least 10 Griffey jr rookie cards, 20 Ohtani rookies and 10 Joe Burrow those were just ones not in sets or boxes or the 800 plus unopened packs. It was a great time and I love sharing a hobby with Ayden that I loved as a kid.

20211123_082642.jpg

20211123_082608.jpg

20211123_082557.jpg

The value of your haul will be determined by how many Sal Romano's that you get.  :coffee:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The value of your haul will be determined by how many Sal Romano's that you get.  :coffee:

That's a good one. Hoping for at least 5 of them. The best thing about it in all serious is that it took me back to 1989 and me running to the card shop everyday to try and get the Billy Ripken 89 fleer F Face card. I did get 1 before all the corrections came out. Last night we got 6 boxes of unopened 89 fleer packs. Those will be fun to open. That was also Randy Johnson,  junior and Bigio. I really wanted to stay.up last night and open them all.

• Like 2

Ran across this beauty today. I'll caption for you. I'm going to eat 2 packs of these lung rockets. Hit 30 HR, 30 Doubles, and drive in 90 each year....while having a flame thrower for an arm in right field. 

He's also saying if you're lucky....I won't beat you up after I take your wife out. Haha. Legend. 

Legend. Loved Dave Parker. 

Dave Parker.jpg

7 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

20211123_082642.jpg

20211123_082608.jpg

20211123_082557.jpg

Nice haul!!! I've got unopened boxes of cards I just can't bring myself to open from 1979 to 1983...I know what's in there or potentially in there but just can't do it.

My Mom  would always get me boxes and it was the same rule. One box is for play and trading. The other is for saving. Same with Star Wars characters....I have to be the only dude with all the original Star Wars characters still in their plastic container with $2.99 sticker from Farm and Fleet. 

Keep those traditions going!

• Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 9:21 AM, Billingsley99 said:

That's a good one. Hoping for at least 5 of them. The best thing about it in all serious is that it took me back to 1989 and me running to the card shop everyday to try and get the Billy Ripken 89 fleer F Face card. I did get 1 before all the corrections came out. Last night we got 6 boxes of unopened 89 fleer packs. Those will be fun to open. That was also Randy Johnson,  junior and Bigio. I really wanted to stay.up last night and open them all.

Don't forget Sheffield rookies! I had my parents drive me around to the local drug stores/convenience stores in 89 looking for those packs of Ripken FF error. I think I bought like 3 boxes and pulled 4 of them. I set up at a card show and sold 3 of them for $45-$50 a pop and made a nice profit and kept one. I still have one.

Did you bust the boxes open yet?

• Like 1