Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

• 4 weeks later...

On this day in baseball history, in 1921 Babe Ruth of the Yankees became baseball's career home run leader by hitting his 120th off Cleveland's Jim Bagby. He was 26 years old at that time. 

The Bambino would go on to hit 594 more homers... 

Babe-Ruth.jpg.a1478188f8929a6e502bf750268df5ff.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

They were talking about this on the Reds/Yankees game.  When monument park was on the field at Old Yankee Stadium.  

See the source image

That was before the remodeling in the mid 70s. They took the monuments out of play (behind a wall) and shortened all of the outfield walls. The Yanks played in Shea Stadium for 2 years so they could do the renovations. 

The original dimensions were ridiculous...

EWP8bBpXYAETopb.thumb.jpeg.6675379d066c5d0442a6fd2ed7863246.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

2nd game of a Sunday Double Header 

July 30th, 1967 

I saw my first game ever at Crosley the next year... No feeling like a 10 year old seeing a major league park for the first time...the sights, the sounds, the smells... 

"Hudepohl here!" 

I never made it to Crosley.  My first game was at Riverfront in '72.  But, I do have vivid memories of the Hudepohl vendors making their way through the crowd.  

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Left field at Crosley Field in Cincinnati.  There was a slope that alerted outfielders they were approaching the wall instead of a warning track.

May be an image of 1 person

2nd game of a Sunday double header 

July 30, 1967 

I saw my first game ever at Crosley the next year... No feeling like a 10 year old seeing a major league park for the first time...the sights, the sounds, the smells... 

"Hudepohl here!" 

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sorry, went to edit my post because I didn't think it was clear the boxscore I cited was for the pic @5fouls posted...

Accidentally deleted my original...

LOL.  I freaked out because my reply to your post was now reflected as happening before your actual post. 

Thought I was in a time warp.

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I will say this about that picture as well.  Those old style scoreboards are a hell of a lot more cool than the Jumbotrons we have today.

Here's the one at Philadelphia's Shibe Park (I don't think it was named after Earl 😁)...

I guess there was a Longines click in every stadium...

1045205169_shibepark.jpg.d7a8443b8e38b46e281830aafcb08cee.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 7:21 AM, IUFLA said:

2nd game of a Sunday double header 

July 30, 1967 

I saw my first game ever at Crosley the next year... No feeling like a 10 year old seeing a major league park for the first time...the sights, the sounds, the smells... 

"Hudepohl here!" 

Oh man...good old Crosley Field.  Plenty of memories.  Saw Henry Aaron's 3000th hit...Roberto Clemente hit three homers (one to each field)...Willie Mays hit a ball off the scoreboard clock...so many other GREAT old time players...Warren Spahn, Stan Musial, Koufax, Drysdale, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Billy Williams... and, ofc, all the Reds...Gus Bell (David Bell's grandfather), Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson...on and on.  

• Like 1