Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The Browns were the sad sack franchise in the AL...

They didn't win an AL pennant until 1944 (and I think they had the advantage during the war years of having an inordinate amount of 4Fs) and lost the World series to their crosstown rivals, the Cardinals. The franchise wouldn't win a World Series until 1966 when, as the Baltimore Orioles, they beat the Dodgers...

If it weren't for the midget I wouldn't have known the Browns even existed...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

If it weren't for the midget I wouldn't have known the Browns even existed...

Going back to Veeck...

It's said that it was his idea to plant the ivy at Wrigley, though that's been disputed (his Dad was a Cubs exec)...

He owned 3 different teams the Indians, (who won the WS under his ownership in 1948 and he signed the first African American in the AL, Larry Doby), Brown's, and White Sox twice (first in 1959 when they went to the WS for the first time since the infamous Black Sox scandal...he sold them in 1961 for health reasons) and in 1975 he repurchased them...sold in 1981 to Jerry Reinsdorf.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Going back to Veeck...

It's said that it was his idea to plant the ivy at Wrigley, though that's been disputed (his Dad was a Cubs exec)...

He owned 3 different teams the Indians, (who won the WS under his ownership in 1948 and he signed the first African American in the AL, Larry Doby), Brown's, and White Sox twice (first in 1959 when they went to the WS for the first time since the infamous Black Sox scandal...he sold them in 1961 for health reasons) and in 1975 he repurchased them...sold in 1981 to Jerry Reinsdorf.

That '77 White Sox team was fun to watch.

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Those are on the top 3 for Aydens favorite unis, along with

image.png.ee0184c7417a07bf80933e9f06aade8f.png

image.png.fb181cd642de525d6a2768a1eab48191.png

image.png.72640f694e74e42605a5b251f1388006.png

People either loved or hated those White Sox unis...it wasn't even the shorts for me, it was more the 1890s collar I didn't care for...

And he didn't like the Phillies all burgundy? 

2XXCGLOVDRCPFJZ5IYCLLTIFQU.jpg.00331477e1c6de4e87916004beaacdb9.jpg

As for the last pic, if I was an opposing player I'd worry less about the Hawaiian uniforms and more about who was filling them out in that pick...Double trouble...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

People either loved or hated those White Sox unis...it wasn't even the shorts for me, it was more the 1890s collar I didn't care for...

And he didn't like the Phillies all burgundy? 

2XXCGLOVDRCPFJZ5IYCLLTIFQU.jpg.00331477e1c6de4e87916004beaacdb9.jpg

As for the last pic, if I was an opposing player I'd worry less about the Hawaiian uniforms and more about who was filling them out in that pick...Double trouble...

He does but light blue is his favorite color so the light blue with burgundy is his 2nd favorite behind the stros

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I bet Wayne Simpson was pissed...6 shutout innings, leaves with a 3-0 lead, then Dyer Miller gives up 3 to tie, but collects the win after the Angels score in the top of the 9th...

Don't know about that...but Clay Carroll was pissed, I saw it!  All in all, the Angels deserved to win the game.

• Like 1