Little League World Series

rico

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes for sure. For hitters even those few extra feet give you a chance at making contact on great pitching.

My son was a really good pitcher at 50' and 60' 6" but when he was pitching 46' he was almost unhittable. 

I coached a darn good "travel" team for 5 years. Love it. 

Like 29-5 one summer. I think they were 9 then.  

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes for sure. For hitters even those few extra feet give you a chance at making contact on great pitching.

My son was a really good pitcher at 50' and 60' 6" but when he was pitching 46' he was almost unhittable. 

That same group struggled some when we played 11 and 12u.. most teams in that age group are true travel teams, where all but 1 (moved out of state) of ours went to the same HS. 

When they got to MS they only lost 1 game of school ball. And that was to New Albany of the 8th grade championship when Tucker Biven was pitching lol 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That same group struggled some when we played 11 and 12u.. most teams in that age group are true travel teams, where all but 1 (moved out of state) of ours went to the same HS. 

When they got to MS they only lost 1 game of school ball. And that was to New Albany of the 8th grade championship when Tucker Biven was pitching lol 

His travel team was from all over the state but when he either played rec ball or some tournaments with non travel teams from 46 at 10 and 11 not sure it he gave up any hits to be honest.  Hit several and walked a few though

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

His travel team was from all over the state but when he either played rec ball or some tournaments with non travel teams from 46 at 10 and 11 not sure it he gave up any hits to be honest.  Hit several and walked a few though

So are you saying just move it for travel ball and the elite level or are you saying for all levels.  I see your local little leagues it would hurt the quality even more if you backed up the mound and move the bases back.  I also can see where you are coming from because on my little league team we had the best pitcher in the we league.  At 12 he was throwing 70 with a great curve and knuckle ball and was pretty much unhittable.  We lost one game all year and it was the first game of the year 1-0.  I am the cause of the loss because they said I missed third base coming in for the tying run.  

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So are you saying just move it for travel ball and the elite level or are you saying for all levels.  I see your local little leagues it would hurt the quality even more if you backed up the mound and move the bases back.  I also can see where you are coming from because on my little league team we had the best pitcher in the we league.  At 12 he was throwing 70 with a great curve and knuckle ball and was pretty much unhittable.  We lost one game all year and it was the first game of the year 1-0.  I am the cause of the loss because they said I missed third base coming in for the tying run.  

Reminds me of my favorite Marv Throneberry story...Marv played for the 1962 Mets who lost 120 games...no played optimized their ineptitude more than Marv...

"The most famous Throneberry story involved his fielding and base running miscues in the first game of a double header against the Chicago Cubs on June 17, 1962. In the top of the first inning, Throneberry botched a rundown play when he blocked a runner trying to get back to first base and was called for obstruction resulting in the runner being safe. Then, in the bottom of the inning with the Mets already trailing 4-1, Throneberry appeared to make up for the botched play when he hit a triple driving in two runs, only to be called out on an appeal play because he missed first base. As the story goes, Stengel came out to argue the call but was told by the umpire “Don’t bother, Casey, he missed second base too.”

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1