Tattoos

IUFLA

I'm just curious here...

I've never gotten a tattoo...never even considered it...not even while blind drunk...

I just don't see the point...I mean, I've heard explanations...honoring something, telling a life's story, displaying someone or something you admire...

But to see someone else's tattoo, you have to, well, stare...which in my mind is not only impolite, it can cause an issue...

So, I guess my question is, for those who've been tattooed, or are considering it, what's the point?

• Like 1

I have some from my NAvy days thaI I kind of regret. 

But, I also have one that I got recently after our rescue dachshund Greta (my name for her was “Little G”) passed. I always look down at the arm now and think good thoughts of her. Pic attached, my wife also got a small g on her wrist.

Will most likely get a cursive font that says Chloe on my other forearm for our dog Chloe who passed in June. 

D3D8304B-FF8C-48F3-8034-A4BB54A2B2FF.jpeg

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

what's the point?

Considering the # of needle jabs, this is some low hanging fruit bro! lol

My first one, was symbolic to keep my daughters safe and to never lose their dreams. It is a Native American Dream catcher with their names in the feathers. 

My second was, an internal "struggle/ feeling" (hard to put to words) I was having with Freedom, pride, independence, strength. It's an American Eagle head.

When my 3rd one came around, I was learning and into a religious part of my life. I have a crown of thorns around my Bicep with drops of blood coming from each thorn tip. On the back side of it, the thorns form a Cross and behind the Cross a large Yellow "Sun". The price paid as the Son was hanging on the cross. Unintended back story on this one, long story short. I met a "down on his luck" Tattoo artist in a bar in Indian Rocks beach FLorida, waiting on a scheduled appointment that didn't show. I said I'd take the spot and he took me to an abandoned house that had an extension cord ran from the neighbors. It actually was a really nice house. I'll admit that I was a little concerned, but I thought "you can't make this stuff up" It had to be a sign, considering the meaning of the tattoo to start with.  

My 4th......   It was my last day in Ireland and honestly it just hit me like a ton of bricks and an "I HAVE TOO" moment. I have a custom drawn, red headed bearded Leprechaun toting a large mug of Guinness. I just had to take a memory with me, from a great trip to keep for ever.  

My 5th (soon) will be the tail number of my first Airplane but I don't have the artwork figured out yet.

None of these involved Alcohol, but the 1st one was at a Biker party.

• Like 1

My last name is tattooed from the top of my rib cage to my hip. Got it a day after I turned 18... and still love it. My wife has 4. My sister has 3. I will probably, eventually get one on my shoulder/upper shoulder area, as well. 

The point? I like it. I can cover it up when I want to. I'm a huge fan of tattoos in certain spots... others spots I hate. I am not a big fan of calf tats or thigh tats on women. I just don't think it looks good, at all. 

Also.. any person that said their tattoo didn't hurt... lied. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I have some from my NAvy days thaI I kind of regret. 

But, I also have one that I got recently after our rescue dachshund Greta (my name for her was “Little G”) passed. I always look down at the arm now and think good thoughts of her. Pic attached, my wife also got a small g on her wrist.

Will most likely get a cursive font that says Chloe on my other forearm for our dog Chloe who passed in June. 

D3D8304B-FF8C-48F3-8034-A4BB54A2B2FF.jpeg

Thanks. I can understand that...

Do you or your wife get a lot of questions about the "g"?

For the record, I'm a live and let live kinda guy. Not disparaging the practice at all. Two of my daughters have small tattoos.

I do find The Illustrated Man look (maybe that's the impetus for the question...reading Bradbury at an early age) a bit peculiar, and face tattoos are a bit weird to me...

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I did have a buddy get drunk enough one time in college, I convinced him to get a d*** rocket on his a**. Absolutely fantastic. I woke up the next day like a kid in a candy store lol Soooooooo awesome. 

I worked with a guy in the USAF that got this one on his calf...

Screenshot_20210827-112857.thumb.png.a36bacf9e561b11ccc4b383f317464c8.png

We were at a squadron picnic, and he was wearing shorts. The squadron commander (female Lt Colonel) saw it, pointed, and said, "Oh, nice tattoo!" as she walked by...10 feet past him, she kinda straightened up a said, "Oh my God!"

I don't think she was able to look him in the eye ever again...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Considering the # of needle jabs, this is some low hanging fruit bro! lol

My first one, was symbolic to keep my daughters safe and to never lose their dreams. It is a Native American Dream catcher with their names in the feathers. 

My second was, an internal "struggle/ feeling" (hard to put to words) I was having with Freedom, pride, independence, strength. It's an American Eagle head.

When my 3rd one came around, I was learning and into a religious part of my life. I have a crown of thorns around my Bicep with drops of blood coming from each thorn tip. On the back side of it, the thorns form a Cross and behind the Cross a large Yellow "Sun". The price paid as the Son was hanging on the cross. Unintended back story on this one, long story short. I met a "down on his luck" Tattoo artist in a bar in Indian Rocks beach FLorida, waiting on a scheduled appointment that didn't show. I said I'd take the spot and he took me to an abandoned house that had an extension cord ran from the neighbors. It actually was a really nice house. I'll admit that I was a little concerned, but I thought "you can't make this stuff up" It had to be a sign, considering the meaning of the tattoo to start with.  

My 4th......   It was my last day in Ireland and honestly it just hit me like a ton of bricks and an "I HAVE TOO" moment. I have a custom drawn, red headed bearded Leprechaun toting a large mug of Guinness. I just had to take a memory with me, from a great trip to keep for ever.  

My 5th (soon) will be the tail number of my first Airplane but I don't have the artwork figured out yet.

None of these involved Alcohol, but the 1st one was at a Biker party.

So if you catch someone staring, are you ok with it? Do you ever get asked for an explanation?

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So if you catch someone staring, are you ok with it? Do you ever get asked for an explanation?

I don't mind at all. They all mean something and stand for a specific point in my life. Very rarely do anyone that doesn't already know me see's them though. Well unless I'm wearing my wife beater.  lol

• Like 1

My son was more than a bit rebellious in his younger days and had a tattoo on his arm he was ashamed of and that took him back to a dark place in his life. He needed a sleeve to completely cover it up and had not been able to save enough to get it. 

After a “couple” of bourbons I agreed to help him out with the remaining cost, and in support of him closing the chapter on that part of his life, I got one as well.

He now sports a beautiful Tree of Life on his arm, and I have a less grandiose version on my upper arm 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I have a couple and never ask someone why they are staring at them, mainly because i don't care why they are lol. Once you get a couple they are no big deal and you don't even pay that much attention to them.

• Like 1