Tattoos

IUFLA

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm just curious here...

I've never gotten a tattoo...never even considered it...not even while blind drunk...

I just don't see the point...I mean, I've heard explanations...honoring something, telling a life's story, displaying someone or something you admire...

But to see someone else's tattoo, you have to, well, stare...which in my mind is not only impolite, it can cause an issue...

So, I guess my question is, for those who've been tattooed, or are considering it, what's the point?

I’ll offer the contrarian opinion: don’t have any and never felt a desire to do so  even when I was young and dumb. 

This post actually made me reflect and ask myself why, and the answer is that there’s never been a life event that has impacted me to the point that I want to visually commemorate it and have it on (potential) public display. 

I’m married, have kids, have lost grandparents, lost pets, etc etc, but those memories live inside me and continue to shape who I am, both inwardly and outwardly. They’re so in depth that I don’t know how I’d even begin to capture them artistically. How do you visually capture the feeling of holding your first child, or the amusement of how alert and aware your second child seemed, even just minutes after being born? 

Absolutely nothing against tattoos at all, and I could ever capture something so meaningful artistically, I might consider it some day. But in (almost) 40 years, that hasn’t happened yet. 

• Like 4

My wife has three. It started with our last trip to Key West. She loves turtles and got a henna tattoo of a turtle on her left forearm. Loved it so much she got a real one in the same place.  Has a scripts one her left clavicle and a Hawaiian flower on her right. 

I bought a sketch pad and rough drafted them and let the artist refine them them. 

I'm designing a sleeve as a tribute to our pets that she wants. For us it's me designing artwork and a tribute to our pets.  

I would love nothing more than to hold on to our pet graveyards but paying taxes on a combined 75 acres in Indiana and Illinois, just don't think I can cover it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

My last name is tattooed from the top of my rib cage to my hip. Got it a day after I turned 18... and still love it. My wife has 4. My sister has 3. I will probably, eventually get one on my shoulder/upper shoulder area, as well. 

The point? I like it. I can cover it up when I want to. I'm a huge fan of tattoos in certain spots... others spots I hate. I am not a big fan of calf tats or thigh tats on women. I just don't think it looks good, at all. 

Also.. any person that said their tattoo didn't hurt... lied. 

Agreed, anything on the the legs, male or female is off-putting and a no go. But a well crafted artistic oblique peice I'm down with. 

I don't need tats and don't like needles but I'm so scarred up I may just draw up an American history piece and see where it goes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Art...  for some and not others.  

I'm at the point in my life, they won't affect my job any, so I will be getting sleeves in the next year or so.  The hard part is finding the right tattoo artist. I mean world class artists

For me it's art too. 

If I do it it's balls to the wall. Full sleeves and a mural across my back. A tribute to my family. Washington crossing the Delaware, an image of the declaration of independence, the liberty bell, pay homage to indiana with city circle. Lady liberty, an image of dday, Korea, and Vietnam.  Multiple purple hearts, bronze stars with v devices and combat infantry badges. 

Can't forget my uncle Brad who was awarded a silver star as a green beret in the Persian gulf War. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I’ll offer the contrarian opinion: don’t have any and never felt a desire to do so  even when I was young and dumb. 

This post actually made me reflect and ask myself why, and the answer is that there’s never been a life event that has impacted me to the point that I want to visually commemorate it and have it on (potential) public display. 

I’m married, have kids, have lost grandparents, lost pets, etc etc, but those memories live inside me and continue to shape who I am, both inwardly and outwardly. They’re so in depth that I don’t know how I’d even begin to capture them artistically. How do you visually capture the feeling of holding your first child, or the amusement of how alert and aware your second child seemed, even just minutes after being born? 

Absolutely nothing against tattoos at all, and I could ever capture something so meaningful artistically, I might consider it some day. But in (almost) 40 years, that hasn’t happened yet. 

I felt the same way especially after reading @Billingsley99's post about his children's feet prints and @Joe_Hoopsier's post about commemorating turning points in his life. I wondered why I wasn't compelled to do something like that...

Self reflection is a good thing... I take my hat off to those who have provided explanation, but I guess it's just not in my personality.

It's a weird thing...I'm not real comfortable talking to people I don't know well one on one, yet I can, and regularly do, speak in a public forum of 100+ with no trepidation whatsoever...

I guess I always believed that I would be uncomfortable with the attention a tattoo might draw...but, I see for a lot of you, it's not about that at all...it's about being true to yourself and freedom of expression...

My thanks to all who answered...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

That's a pretty funny commercial.  Pete is a messed up dude, though.

Pete in a Comedy thread? Doesn't it like, fit.... man?  (in my best Big Lebowski voice).  

That's the brilliance of the commercial selling ... WATER!!!

I wonder if the same guy who pitched the idea of a movie about Sharks in a tornado, is who also said we could sell bottles of water? Brilliant. Has changed the planet. 

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Our dachshund Chloe passed last June and this year I had a friend from the UK do a sketch of her for a tattoo. I finally found a local tattoo artist who was available and not charging $3K for a tattoo (there are a lot of DUMB people with more money than sense here). 

I think it came out really well. 

F05CAD6F-38D4-4838-960E-A8619551EABF.jpeg

• Like 8

On 6/25/2022 at 2:11 PM, Lostin76 said:

Our dachshund Chloe passed last June and this year I had a friend from the UK do a sketch of her for a tattoo. I finally found a local tattoo artist who was available and not charging $3K for a tattoo (there are a lot of DUMB people with more money than sense here). 

I think it came out really well. 

F05CAD6F-38D4-4838-960E-A8619551EABF.jpeg

Dude! I know getting locked up makes you appreciate the more important things in life. How did you get the tattoo gun smuggled in?

HAHAHA Pulling you chain man! I love me some Dashhounds! I've had 10 over the years and each and everyone one of them hold a special place in my heart, all for totally different personality traits. I think the male I have now is my favorite. Hunter is his name and he is just the shit!

9 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Dude! I know getting locked up makes you appreciate the more important things in life. How did you get the tattoo gun smuggled in?

HAHAHA Pulling you chain man! I love me some Dashhounds! I've had 10 over the years and each and everyone one of them hold a special place in my heart, all for totally different personality traits. I think the male I have now is my favorite. Hunter is his name and he is just the shit!

Speaking of incarceration, one of the funniest skits in TV history...

"It is definitely no fun, when that iron door clangs shut on ya." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

They are great dogs! There are a few of us on here that have them. 

• 3 months later...

So this is probably a dumb idea. 

I don't have any tattoos and I'm not opposed to the idea. I've never had a reason but thought if I did it would be a related to American history and truck driving. 

I'm thinking of working up a sketch using symbols from American independence and work in something truck driving related and the date June 12, 2022 written in the script they used for the declaration of independence.  It would be a symbol of my day of independence, a visual and physical reminder.

If I don't do a tattoo I could have it professionally drawn maybe. I'm not a terrible artist. I'm just good enough to make Hitlers art look like a 5 year old drawing with oversized crayons. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...