Iowa Pre-Game Thread

KDB

I think my biggest keys for the game are how the two QBs will look. That's true for a lot of games, but I feel like it especially is for this one.

Will Penix have any rust to shake off, and how will Petras play?

I'm not a fan of Petras, and was not at all impressed in the few games I watched last year. Iowa lost their #1, 3, and 5 leading receivers from last year (one was a TE). Those 3 accounted for roughly 50% of their passing yards. If we can slow down LaPorta at TE, and Ragaini in the slot, they don't appear to have any deep threats. Nobody returning caught a pass over 28 yards last year (outside of their RB who I don't count as a deep threat). For comparison, we return guys who had longs of 68, 65, 51, and 32.

I'm assuming we haven't lost our aggressive nature from last year, so if we can get pressure on Petras, I don't see them doing a ton of damage through the air.

Iowa is definitely a team that's best when playing with the lead. If we can get a lead and make Iowa beat us passing, it could be a big day for our defense. Dial up the blitzes, don't give Petras time to think, and I could see him throwing 2+ interceptions. The only time he really had to throw it much last year was against NW. He threw for only 216 yards on 50 attempts (not a typo), and threw 3 interceptions. Most of the other games he was a game manager.

On our side, having Hendershot back to the form he was in 2 years ago would be huge. He seems like he put in the work with a normal offseason to get back there. That would be a big help for Penix if he is a little rusty. Hit a few short ones to Hendershot to get in the groove a bit.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, KDB said:

I think we set the tone early and get a big time statement win.

Carr is the star of the day and runs for 100+ and multiple TD’s. IU by 2 scores. 

I’m so freaking pumped for this game.

I agree. I think this is a good match up for us, and I think people aren't giving us the respect we deserve.

I can't wait for Saturday!

• Like 1

I spent a little time on an Iowa board a few days ago. They are very confident that they will win. Not much respect for anyone other than Penix. They completely dismiss our secondary and think that theirs will negate Penix. We need to make a statement with game. Do that and everyone will start to pay attention.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, cthomas said:

I spent a little time on an Iowa board a few days ago. They are very confident that they will win. Not much respect for anyone other than Penix. They completely dismiss our secondary and think that theirs will negate Penix. We need to make a statement with game. Do that and everyone will start to pay attention.

There are a couple of teams i want to beat more then any other, Turdue, Illinois and Michigan, but anymore you can put Iowa up there with them also. They might have some of the most obnoxious and biggest douche bag fans that i have encountered. Beating them would be a great statement to start the season. 👍

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Iowa is definitely a team that's best when playing with the lead. If we can get a lead and make Iowa beat us passing, it could be a big day for our defense. Dial up the blitzes, don't give Petras time to think, and I could see him throwing 2+ interceptions. The only time he really had to throw it much last year was against NW. He threw for only 216 yards on 50 attempts (not a typo), and threw 3 interceptions. Most of the other games he was a game manager.

On our side, having Hendershot back to the form he was in 2 years ago would be huge. He seems like he put in the work with a normal offseason to get back there. That would be a big help for Penix if he is a little rusty. Hit a few short ones to Hendershot to get in the groove a bit.

This part is the biggest to me. Call it the Peyton/Colts model. Get up early and make other team play catch up all day and have our edge guys teeing off know they have to pass. 

Tough for me to figure out what's going to happen. I feel very confident we can beat them.....but it's also a road game vs top 20 team in Week 1. 

• Like 3

Moneyline: IND: (+140) | IOWA: (-172)
Spread: IND: +3.5 (-122) | IOWA: -3.5 (+100)
Total: 46.5 – Over: (-110) | Under: (-110)

Winning Percentage Prediction: Indiana: (41.7%) | Iowa: (58.3%)

-Iowa is 45-28-4 all-time in 77 head-to-head matchups against Indiana and the Hawkeyes won the most recent meeting by a score of 42-16 on Oct. 3, 2018.
- Indiana is 1-7 straight up in its last eight games against Iowa.
- The total has hit the under in four of Indiana's last five games.
- Iowa is 5-1 against the spread (ATS) in its last six games.
- The total has hit the under in seven of Iowa's last eight home games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iowa is a program that I think has felt somewhat threatened by our recent success. Even though we don't play them every year, they still have a pretty decent recruiting pipeline into our state. We got quite a bit of media attention last year when we won our first four games. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Gary Barta wanted this game to open the season so Iowa could try and prevent that from happening again. 

12 hours ago, cthomas said:

They act like they are Ohio state or something. They actually lost some key people on the DL and OL. We actually upgraded and are bigger more athletic. Penix will pressure their corners and safeties early and often. If we strike fast and get up early it will be over. Petras is not a comeback kid. If we let them run the ball it will be a long day. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Iowa is a program that I think has felt somewhat threatened by our recent success. Even though we don't play them every year, they still have a pretty decent recruiting pipeline into our state. We got quite a bit of media attention last year when we won our first four games. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Gary Barta wanted this game to open the season so Iowa could try and prevent that from happening again. 

Strange bit of irony with this game. All I've ever wanted out of IU since the Mallory years was to be Iowa in football. 7-9 win seasons every year, warm weather bowl game....and a shot every recruiting cycle to have that special season. I don't have any ill will towards Iowa. Barta on the other hand is different.

With that said this is great first game/opponent. Win and we are +1 in the 50/50 games that could make this season good....or really good. Lose? Long time to make up the ground.

Iowa game notes-

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2021/08/27/game-notes-iowa-vs-indiana-2/

I hope we blow this up-

7: Iowa has played 22 straight games without surrendering 25 points, the longest streak in the nation among Power 5 teams. The Hawkeyes ranked No. 1 in the nation in 2020 in defensive yards per play (4.3). Iowa ranked No. 2 in the conference in total defense (313.8) and scoring defense (16.0), No. 3 in rush defense (107.6) and No. 5 in pass defense (206.1).

Not too much stood out in the depth chart.  I'm kind of surprised to see Taylor listed as PR.  That was something that Matthews did really well for FSU.  Hoping that means that we really like what he brings to the offense and don't want to risk injury.  Taylor is obviously important to the defense too, but we're deeper at CB than at slot receiver.

I'm excited to see Da'Shaun Brown listed behind Matthews.  I've been saying it for 2 years, but I still want to see him get the ball in space a few times and see what he can do.

Surprised to see Bonhomme listed as #4 at the Bull position.  As much as we rotate, I'm sure all of those guys will get time, but I thought Bonhomme was looking good that last few games last season, and thought he'd be the starter there.

About the only other thing that stood out was in the pronunciation guide...didn't know Katic was pronounced that way!

• Like 1