Iowa Pre-Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Iowa game notes-

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2021/08/27/game-notes-iowa-vs-indiana-2/

I hope we blow this up-

7: Iowa has played 22 straight games without surrendering 25 points, the longest streak in the nation among Power 5 teams. The Hawkeyes ranked No. 1 in the nation in 2020 in defensive yards per play (4.3). Iowa ranked No. 2 in the conference in total defense (313.8) and scoring defense (16.0), No. 3 in rush defense (107.6) and No. 5 in pass defense (206.1).

Must be nice playing in the West.  Last year their crossover games were MSU, and PSU after they started 0-4 and had given up.  I'd love to blow up that streak too.

• Like 1

Had the Nebraska/Illinois game on in the background of a kids' birthday party over the weekend.  Hosts are Buckeye fans.  I hadn't mentioned my allegiance yet, but when they showed a graphic of the preseason ranked B10 teams, I was astounded when they had nothing but complimentary things to say about Indiana.  One said that aside from Alabama, we were hands down their toughest opponent all last season. 

Of course this is when I chime in.  The response: "Thank God....last thing this neighborhood needs is more UK fans." My answer: "I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me."

• Like 5

My biggest concern, we could be better than last year and still be 1-2. We have 8-9 games we could win or lose. Teams that regularly make the playoffs would not have a schedule like ours. As fans we have to hang tough and prepare for a potentially wild ride (season).  Should be a lot of fun, but the schedule isn't doing us any favors. Win the first three and we're a top 10 team. Go 1-2 and we could still be a top 15-20 team, but will be a much tougher row to hoe. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

My biggest concern, we could be better than last year and still be 1-2. We have 8-9 games we could win or lose. Teams that regularly make the playoffs would not have a schedule like ours. As fans we have to hang tough and prepare for a potentially wild ride (season).  Should be a lot of fun, but the schedule isn't doing us any favors. Win the first three and we're a top 10 team. Go 1-2 and we could still be a top 15-20 team, but will be a much tougher row to hoe. 

All sec have a better schedule than us.  

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I will say their conference knows how to make sure 2 of the tribe gets in F4. Georgia's schedule after Clemson is as weak as it gets. 

Beat Clemson and Florida... they'll have as good of two wins as anyone.. (usually).. plus win the East. You get the point. 

Gotta play at Auburn too though. Equivalent to Happy Valley. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Beat Clemson and Florida... they'll have as good of two wins as anyone.. (usually).. plus win the East. You get the point. 

Gotta play at Auburn too though. Equivalent to Happy Valley. 

I have 2 Gator friends. Rebuild time there. Still carry the name though. Same with Auburn. As far as the East in the SEC? That's the Big10 West minus 1.5 teams. My brother-in-law who is a diehard Dawg fan....says if we don't make it this year we'll never make it the way the schedule sets up. Lose to Clemson and plenty of weeks to get back to top 4....even with a loss vs Bama in SEC title game. 

Back to Iowa/IU though. Get up early and change the pace on them. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I have 2 Gator friends. Rebuild time there. Still carry the name though. Same with Auburn. As far as the East in the SEC? That's the Big10 West minus 1.5 teams. My brother-in-law who is a diehard Dawg fan....says if we don't make it this year we'll never make it the way the schedule sets up. Lose to Clemson and plenty of weeks to get back to top 4....even with a loss vs Bama in SEC title game. 

Back to Iowa/IU though. Get up early and change the pace on them. 

Yeah I forgot what thread we were in. 

Absolutely on Saturday.. playing from behind will be next to impossible. Productive drives matter. 3 points is points. 

Bottom line... football is blocking and tackling, the rest is mythology. (And SPT and TOs) 🤣

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.fdd69aa976674d08ff37fb30150d6268.jpeg

Iowa Athletic Director and CFP Chairman Gary Barta explained why Indiana was left out during the CFP selection show on ESPN, Sunday:

“We had a long discussion about who deserved – who had earned – their way into that top 10. Iowa State was in that discussion, Indiana was in that discussion. Comparing those two teams, Indiana, it was a historic year as you mentioned. They were 6-1. Their only loss was to Ohio State. They didn’t have the quality wins that Iowa State had. Iowa State had beaten Oklahoma and had beaten Texas. So when it came down to comparing those two in particular, Iowa State was given the nod.”

Fred Glass: 

And then the College Football Playoff Committee doesn’t put us in the New Year’s Six, and then to add insult to injury we get passed over for the Citrus Bowl by Northwestern, and all of this stuff was very hierarchical and it was really out of whack to have Northwestern jump over us,” Glass told Vane.

“And we were the first year in the College Football Playoff era when two Big Ten teams hadn’t made the playoffs, and I submit that if the second place team had wings on their helmets, or Hawkeyes on their helmets, or nothing on their helmets like Penn State, they would have made it.  But because there was an interlocking IU on the helmet, you know, good ole IU gets left out, in part I think because of the powers that be, that power structure, the good-ole-boy network had a vested interest in IU not being good at football.

“They liked it when we were an automatic “W” and they liked it when they could come in here and take our best players, they liked it when we weren’t a player in national recruiting, and so forth.  And my successor (Scott Dolson) couldn’t say that or shouldn’t say that, and Tom Allen couldn’t say that or shouldn’t say that, but I was sort of uniquely positioned where I wasn’t connected to IU but I had a certain amount of credibility, so I thought I needed to speak out, not to vent my spleen, it wasn’t a fit of pique, but it was strategic like, ‘this needs to be called out’ because I didn’t want the conference and the college football playoff group and the ADs to say ‘we kind of screw Indiana and they are just not going to say anything about it.'”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/former-iu-ad-fred-glass-expands-on-his-good-ole-boy-network-comment-in-podcast-interview/

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

Well we have a chance this year to earn our respect. Very tough schedule….but if we can win we will finally have what we’ve always wanted…respect. If we struggle…we will have proved their point. Can’t think of a more critical season for IU football. It’s almost now or never…everything is aligning with momentum, talent, even a movement…but it only matters if we get results on the field. If we don’t…the LEO thing will die very fast.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well we have a chance this year to earn our respect. Very tough schedule….but if we can win we will finally have what we’ve always wanted…respect. If we struggle…we will have proved their point. Can’t think of a more critical season for IU football. It’s almost now or never…everything is aligning with momentum, talent, even a movement…but it only matters if we get results on the field. If we don’t…the LEO thing will die very fast.

This is definitely an important season. We'll still be solid next year due to our quality of depth, but we will lose quite a bit this year (especially if Penix and Mullen go pro). Really have to capitalize with 8 or 9 wins to keep momentum going.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:47 PM, btownqb said:

Yeah I forgot what thread we were in. 

Absolutely on Saturday.. playing from behind will be next to impossible. Productive drives matter. 3 points is points. 

Bottom line... football is blocking and tackling, the rest is mythology. (And SPT and TOs) 🤣

Eliminate or reduce big O plays over 20+ yards is a key too.

SPT play can win and lose games on our schedule. Being consistent is huge this year. If we can be that, we'll win 10 games.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, B_A said:

Eliminate or reduce big O plays over 20+ yards is a key too.

SPT play can win and lose games on our schedule. Being consistent is huge this year. If we can be that, we'll win 10 games.

Punter has been ultra effective for us the last two years... hopefully Evans continues that. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Punter has been ultra effective for us the last two years... hopefully Evans continues that. 

Very important...in a tough defensive battle...just flipping the field is a win. Winning starts and usually ends in the trenches (barring bad turnovers)....but all 3 phases are important in putting your team in position to win. I will forever remember the Chargers punter pinning the Colts back over and over in 08 and basically forcing the Colts offense to change their play calling and giving a mediocre team a chance to beat a much superior squad.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Very important...in a tough defensive battle...just flipping the field is a win. Winning starts and usually ends in the trenches (barring bad turnovers)....but all 3 phases are important in putting your team in position to win. I will forever remember the Chargers punter pinning the Colts back over and over in 08 and basically forcing the Colts offense to change their play calling and giving a mediocre team a chance to beat a much superior squad.

From what I've read, Evans has a stronger leg than Whitehead, but Whitehead was deadly at pinning teams deep. Hopefully Evans is prepared for the atmosphere on Saturday.

That Chargers punter was a WIU Leatherneck like myself. Of course he was awesome! 

• Haha 1

I hope we can find a way to pull this out but I’m concerned. Iowa is just solid all the way around and they’ll have the advantage of playing in front of 70,000 for the first time in two years.

Penix is also playing in his first game off an injury, he can’t be rusty. He’s gotta be full go. I have confidence we can move the ball on anyone with him, but we can’t look like we did vs Penn State where it took him three quarters to get going. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

I hope we can find a way to pull this out but I’m concerned. Iowa is just solid all the way around and they’ll have the advantage of playing in front of 70,000 for the first time in two years.

Penix is also playing in his first game off an injury, he can’t be rusty. He’s gotta be full go. I have confidence we can move the ball on anyone with him, but we can’t look like we did vs Penn State where it took him three quarters to get going. 

Hopefully Carr and the OL help take pressure off Penix.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Iowa fans are also nervous about what those 70,000 fans do to Petras. He’s a bit shaky and has never played in front of that many people. I think our run game improves enough and we aren’t a running team anyway. I bet we test their secondary early and often. We need a big arm day. IU 33 Iowa 17. Go Hoosiers.

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

The respect is already there. I'm not win this Saturday or die time. Tons of football to be played. We are a top 20 team playing another top 20 team on the road. I think we are better....but Iowa has earned the respect because they've been here for a decade plus. We're still new.....but our season or program or LEO mantra isn't going to die on the first week of a season. 

• Like 1