Iowa Pre-Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly.  In comparison Freeney and Mathis would probably have been great anywhere but when Peyton gave them the lead look out they became next level. I expect us to get up early on most teams and let the Defense have fun!!

That’s really all we had except the colts safeties where pretty good but undersized. Sounds familiar doesn’t it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

This is the best comparison I can think of. So much speed on both sides of the ball. We need Carr to become Edge or Joseph now

I think we forced the run at times last year. I think we will hold their D line in place for as long as possible. Play with pace. We might let Penix audible more without the card. He’s a very smart QB. I think Iowa thinks they are good enough to play straight up(no twists) to their own fault. I’m hoping Penix is accurate early and I think he will be. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

I think we forced the run at times last year. I think we will hold their D line in place for as long as possible. Play with pace. We might let Penix audible more without the card. He’s a very smart QB. I think Iowa thinks they are good enough to play straight up(no twists) to their own fault. I’m hoping Penix is accurate early and I think he will be. 

His accuracy is my only concern early on. Have to get off to a great start

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

This is exactly the kind of crap from opposing fans that I can't stand! 

Hawks fan here in peace.

Should be a good game. Just a note, Iowa defense hasn't given up more than 25 points in 21 straight games.

We can score a safety and win 2-0 while they keep that meaningless stat and we take the W for all I care 

Edited by southsidehoosier
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

I hope we come out like we did against MSU 2 years ago. Give Penix a lot of short throws to get in rhythm. I thought a couple times last year he was airing it out before he really got a feel for the game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

This is exactly the kind of crap from opposing fans that I can't stand! 

Hawks fan here in peace.

Should be a good game. Just a note, Iowa defense hasn't given up more than 25 points in 21 straight games.

One nice thing about our board is that we don't get a lot of people from other fanbases. They can sometimes be alright, but reading the Iowa fans on the IU Rivals board makes me want to beat them even more. So arrogant. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

One nice thing about our board is that we don't get a lot of people from other fanbases. They can sometimes be alright, but reading the Iowa fans on the IU Rivals board makes me want to beat them even more. So arrogant. 

Yep….you see that on Ohio State’s boards and a few other arrogant BIG 10 teams… 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

Iowa lost to Purdue last year 24-20.  That tempers my respect for how good they are against teams that are proficient at passing.  Was Purdue's passing O any good last year?   

Passing O is the only kind of O Purdue ever has. But Iowa had to be kicking themselves later in the year for losing that game. I think Iowa would have crushed them if they had played in December. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

His accuracy is my only concern early on. Have to get off to a great start

Yep...qbs with big arms tend to get a little jacked up early in big games (like first game of the year will be) and typically have a lot of over throws....would love to see him come out composed and laser focused.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Yep….you see that on Ohio State’s boards and a few other arrogant BIG 10 teams… 

Ohio State fans being arrogant doesn't bother me all that much, if one team in the B1G has a right to be it is them. It's when fans of teams like Iowa that have been good but not great think they are better then what they really are get cocky, now that pisses me off.

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Bump

There's part of me that thinks we have the deepest and most talented team of my life and we'll win, and there's another part of me that is worried we'll come out flat and lose. I think we're the more talented team in this matchup, I just hope that translates to the field. So much nervous excitement! 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

There's part of me that thinks we have the deepest and most talented team of my life and we'll win, and there's another part of me that is worried we'll come out flat and lose. I think we're the more talented team in this matchup, I just hope that translates to the field. So much nervous excitement! 

Same. I think we have more all around talent and playmakers. Just going to take time for me to not have a little bit of pessimism or worry when it comes to our team vs top 20 teams on the road.... Just goes with the territory.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

My sentiments exactly.  We have to bring it to them.  Reminds me a little of how we whipped Wisconsin's ass on the road last year.  Need to bring that mindset.

I am very excited to see Carr at running back.  He could be a difference maker.  If our ground game can ratchet up a level from last year, that could be huge.

Our two deep is as good as ever.  If you gave me truth serum, I would admit that I am still a bit concerned in two areas.  Pass rush from our guys up front.  The bull position, in particular.  i see that Alfred Bryant is first string and the Auburn transfer Handy is second string.  Let's see them emerge.  Other defensive ends need to make their presence known.  James Head was a well regarded recruit and it's mainly been bupkis.  These guys are vets and it is time.

The other spot is interior O line.  I am excited about Carpenter at center.  Let's see what he looks like.  Hopefully he is an upgrade. Katic should be good.  Anytime you are a freshman starting in the B1G--as he did last year--that tells you how capable he can be.  I have never been a huge Dylan Powell guy, but hopefully he's solid.  You have to like our tackles with Jones and Bedford.  But I hope those interior linemen step up and create solid holes in the running game.

But if we can get our guys going in space, on both sides of the ball, you have to like our chances.  

• Like 3