UK running from competition again.

I did love the statement that it was canceled in favor of UK's SEC football championship game.  You gotta give em points for creativity on that one.

...but yes, that was actually a pretty stout non-conference schedule even without Michigan.  He must be pretty confident in his roster this season.

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Why anyone would still schedule a home and home with that program is beyond me. 

What do you think the potential alliance will do to their schedule in the future?  I know people were focusing on things from a football perspective when it came to that topic, but if the BIG, ACC, and Pac 12 are all looking to schedule with each other more, that could impact who they are able to play quite a bit.

9 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t know man. As much as I hate UK,  (and I mean HATE), I can’t say I agree. 

Duke

@Notre Dame

Ohio St

Louisville

@Kansas

Definitely better than our non-conf. Our SOS will eventually be better playing in the Big10, but we don’t have near the quality non-conf they do. 

Robert Morris, Mount St Mary's, Ohio, Albany, Central Michigan, North Florida, Southern and High Point. It’s not like they are killing themselves. They don’t exactly have the in conference games we do either. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t know man. As much as I hate UK,  (and I mean HATE), I can’t say I agree. 

Duke

@Notre Dame

Ohio St

Louisville

@Kansas

Definitely better than our non-conf. Our SOS will eventually be better playing in the Big10, but we don’t have near the quality non-conf they do. 

After reading the article, that was my impression as well. UK will have enough marquee matchups in non-conference. Replacing Michigan with High Point...well that's bit of a weak-a$$ move but their non-conf schedule is still tough. 

With that said, I just had to laugh at the UK beat writer's comment that UK fans can have undivided attention on UK football game on that day for SEC championship game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Victobmyboy said:

Robert Morris, Mount St Mary's, Ohio, Albany, Central Michigan, North Florida, Southern and High Point. It’s not like they are killing themselves. They don’t exactly have the in conference games we do either. 

What?  No Evansville?

• Like 2

Johnny Cal hates true road games like J Biden hates smart decisions.

If he doesn't have his fans outnumbering the other team's, he'd prefer not to play it. I'd watch the @ Notre Dame game and especially the Kansas game. There may be a sudden "covid-19 spike" for the cats that takes one off the books.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

You essentially said the same thing. I think their non-conf SOS is much better, but you’re right, they aren’t killing themselves because their SEC schedule is always mediocre. Our conference schedule will push us past them from an overall SOS perspective. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

What do you think the potential alliance will do to their schedule in the future?  I know people were focusing on things from a football perspective when it came to that topic, but if the BIG, ACC, and Pac 12 are all looking to schedule with each other more, that could impact who they are able to play quite a bit.

I  think that would make them more likely to go undefeated in the future. SEC is already historically weak, and then they’ll be losing marquee non-conference games. 

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I  think that would make them more likely to go undefeated in the future. SEC is already historically weak, and then they’ll be losing marquee non-conference games. 

Oh jeez...that would be insufferable.  God forbid those toothless hilljacks ever get an undefeated season.  The furniture factories would have to run 24/7 to turn out enough couches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You essentially said the same thing. I think their non-conf SOS is much better, but you’re right, they aren’t killing themselves because their SEC schedule is always mediocre. Our conference schedule will push us past them from an overall SOS perspective. 

Cal is getting ripped to shreds on Rupp rafters. They view it as a lame excuse and a “duck”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

Cal is getting ripped to shreds on Rupp rafters. They view it as a lame excuse and a “duck”. 

Yeah it is kind of surprising, in the Hunter Dickinson thread most of them are saying Cal is ducking Michigan and that he is afraid to play tough ooc road games anymore.

I will say he better have a good season this year, the natives are starting to get a little restless.

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah it is kind of surprising, in the Hunter Dickinson thread most of them are saying Cal is ducking Michigan and that he is afraid to play tough ooc road games anymore.

I will say he better have a good season this year, the natives are starting to get a little restless.

Oh, there's a definite faction that want him gone sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Just for the record.  Two updated early top 25s have 5 Sec and 5 B1G teams in them.  B1G a spot or 2 higher across the board.  We have back end depth they dont have and yes, the SOS may very well favor B1G in the end, but the disparity isn't as broad as it has been historically.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Just for the record.  Two updated early top 25s have 5 Sec and 5 B1G teams in them.  B1G a spot or 2 higher across the board.  We have back end depth they dont have and yes, the SOS may very well favor B1G in the end, but the disparity isn't as broad as it has been historically.  

SEC is stronger now then it has been in almost a couple decades. Its a conference on the rise as schools have really ratcheted up their coaching hires. I still think we have a more difficult conference but when Texas and Oklahoma arrive....could be a different story.

13 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

The biggest issue I heard from UK fans was that they didn't play quality competition at home in their OOC schedule. Fans paying outrageous season ticket prices were forced to watch on tv all these neutral site games while paying to watch them lose to UE at home...and I can't blame them. Outside of conference their home and home are terrible lately.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dgambill said:

SEC is stronger now then it has been in almost a couple decades. Its a conference on the rise as schools have really ratcheted up their coaching hires. I still think we have a more difficult conference but when Texas and Oklahoma arrive....could be a different story.

But that’s not the norm. In normal years the SEC has 2-3 good teams and the rest are awful. The bottom is still pretty bad. With Arkansas and Alabama being good helped. Of course auburn and Tennessee are good right now but for how long? Cal doesn’t want to lose a home and home. 

• Like 1

But that’s not the norm. In normal years the SEC has 2-3 good teams and the rest are awful. The bottom is still pretty bad. With Arkansas and Alabama being good helped. Of course auburn and Tennessee are good right now but for how long? Cal doesn’t want to lose a home and home. 

Yes. That was the norm. The fact of the matter is there is a new norm. New norm is yes it's still a top dominant conference but it is indeed a conference on the rise. I look at UK, Tenn, Ala, FL, Aub, Ark, LSU are all programs poised to have continued success..and with Texas coming in and Oklahoma...that's going to be a league that could likely see 8-9 teams annually in the tournament. It's no longer just UK that's for sure. The B1G and ACC still are probably the two best but SEC is going to be a part of that conversation with the new coaches and program resurgeance going on there...and taking two top tier b-ball schools from the Big 12 will only help.

Agree he doesn't want to lose at home....but mostly he doesn't want to play true road games...early in the season with young teams....it's almost a certain L. The fans though pay a crap ton for season tickets...they deserve quality basketball contests...but he is afraid of the heat.

• Confused 1

Correct.  And who does the preseason rankings, and might they have a vested interest in promoting their product?  It's worked in football,  but ESPN has a ton of work to do if they think they can get people in SEC country(outside of UK and to a much lesser extent Arkansas) to give a rip about basketball. They don't. At all.

• Like 1