2023 PF JaQualon Roberts

mkaser

13 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Last thing that I heard was that IU wasn't ready to take him. They like him but want to see more development so his offer isn't exactly committable at this time. 

The offer dynamic is interesting.  Not all offers are equal, but recruits are allowed to present them as equal.  We can speculate about who the staff really wants among the players offered, but it's apparent that some offers are made when there are still questions about whether the staff really wants the recruit.  That being said, if a player comes as an end of the bench player, ity makes more sense that they are local and loyal to the program.  Hope this young man blows up and commits, but I wonder if an offer makes sense even if he doesn't end up top 100.  No one plays a 13 man rotation anyway.

On 12/15/2021 at 2:48 AM, FKIM01 said:

The offer dynamic is interesting.  Not all offers are equal, but recruits are allowed to present them as equal.  We can speculate about who the staff really wants among the players offered, but it's apparent that some offers are made when there are still questions about whether the staff really wants the recruit.  That being said, if a player comes as an end of the bench player, ity makes more sense that they are local and loyal to the program.  Hope this young man blows up and commits, but I wonder if an offer makes sense even if he doesn't end up top 100.  No one plays a 13 man rotation anyway.

I've shared this before, but when I was being recruited 25 years ago the school I originally wanted to go to was recruiting me and they came and the coach said, "We have one scholarship left in the class and we really need a pg (I wasn't a pg). We're recruiting a point guard right now, but if he turns it down then you're next."

Did they offer me a scholarship? In today's world I could probably post to IG or wherever and include them on my list, say I got offered etc., but at the time I didn't think of it as they offered me a scholarship. It was a conditional, "hey if our next target turns us down, you're next" type of thing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I've shared this before, but when I was being recruited 25 years ago the school I originally wanted to go to was recruiting me and they came and the coach said, "We have one scholarship left in the class and we really need a pg (I wasn't a pg). We're recruiting a point guard right now, but if he turns it down then you're next."

Did they offer me a scholarship? In today's world I could probably post to IG or wherever and include them on my list, say I got offered etc., but at the time I didn't think of it as they offered me a scholarship. It was a conditional, "hey if our next target turns us down, you're next" type of thing. 

I think in today's world, that's an offer.  May be beneficial to both parties to count it as such.  You get the prestige of an "offer" and the school gets to put a little more pressure on their top target.

So how long after that offer did the PG take to decide?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • KDB changed the title to 2023 PF JaQualon Roberts
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone get the sense that we wish we had stayed with this one a bit longer? I suppose we need a 5 and he is more like an undersized 4 that could develop into a big 3. I think that missing out on people like Page etc. ought not to worry me too terribly in the long run, but I would have loved to see the hometown kid get more of a look.

Just now, mchenry34 said:

anyone get the sense that we wish we had stayed with this one a bit longer? I suppose we need a 5 and he is more like an undersized 4 that could develop into a big 3. I think that missing out on people like Page etc. ought not to worry me too terribly in the long run, but I would have loved to see the hometown kid get more of a look.

Nope. Never wanted to recruit him.  

And imo, if JQ wants to be a Hoosier... go to Marquette.. ball out and transfer home. 

To me, he hasn't shown nearly enough for us to recruit him.  

• Like 3