2023 PG Miro Little Commits to Baylor

BDB

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

That's some pretty nice endorsements! One thing that would be awesome and I have no clue how many recruits might come out of that academy or Finland in general but it would be nice for kids some day to say they want to follow in Little's shoes if he does come here and go on to be a big deal or NBA player. Never know when the next Dirk or Lauri will come from but having established that legacy and connection might not hurt! 

In the history of the NBA there have been 3 players from Finland. Not sure we should be fishing  much in that pond 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In the history of the NBA there have been 3 players from Finland. Not sure we should be fishing  much in that pond 

Not comparing the two, and I know he didn’t play college…but not too many Slovenians have made it to the NBA either , but Luka seems to be doing alright. You just never know…or how about Cameroon, you had Embiid, but Pascal Siakim would have been nice to have at IU too.

Edited by gnet550
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Not comparing the two, and I know he didn’t play college…but not too many Slovenians have made it to the NBA either , but Luka seems to be doing alright. You just never know…or how about Cameroon, you had Embiid, but Pascal Siakim would have been nice to have at IU too.

Not the point at all, but okay. 

If the recruiting budget has limits, not sure we should be devoting much to places that produce little talent 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The visit made a great impression on him. IU has done about all they can do. If he picks another school then it’s not because IU didn’t do all they could. 

What percentage is peegs putting Little to IU.  60 or better?

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If the recruiting budget has limits, not sure we should be devoting much to places that produce little talent 

I know what your saying…but if Fife and Woodson believes this kid has the goods, we’ll I trust their judgement. There isn’t anyone they’ve brought onboard that I haven’t been impressed with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

That's the exact thing though. You get the most famous basketball player to come out of a country or area to come to your school....you don't have to do a lot of recruiting....kids will naturally identify with your school and get more eyes on your school and when the time comes....IU sells itself. Like anything else....recruiting is about connections...and selling your brand...much easier to do when you have a brand like ours...and then you make a connection. Personally IU has a HUGE recruiting budget and the school is very multicultural. Not just talking Finland but no reason we shouldn't be landing international talent as much as Gonzaga and Georgetown and UConn's and the Arizona's etc. I'd personally bet that Woody could get permission to charter a flight anywhere in the world or call on someone to help him recruit any kid across the globe if it was to bring elite talent into Bloomington. I like that we will leave no stone unturned and quite frankly we should use our connections and alum all over the world a little better.

15 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The visit made a great impression on him. IU has done about all they can do. If he picks another school then it’s not because IU didn’t do all they could. 

I mean let's be honest...this type of recruit that's all you can do. It isn't like you can develop tons of relationships and connect on a much deeper level with a kid across the globe. You make your best pitch (and I've seen and heard enough to know Woody's is pretty darn good), be authentic, have a great group of kids in the program already (big check mark), and then let IU and Assembly Hall host the best welcoming party they've ever seen. As far as I can tell....we should have checked all the boxes. We have made upgrades with the facilities, the housing, world class education, professional staff, nba quality coaching, and perhaps the best group of kids we've seen come through Indiana. Not much else to sell on...if he goes elsewhere it is something specific that we just were never going to land the kid...and that's ok. So happy we are really pushing the recruiting level up a bit and in areas and avenues we haven't been even in the ballpark with before.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gnet550 said:

I know what your saying…but if Fife and Woodson believes this kid has the goods, we’ll I trust their judgement. There isn’t anyone they’ve brought onboard that I haven’t been impressed with.

I don't think that was his point.

I think Little was brought to IU's attention.  It wasn't because IU was out there watching a bunch of kids in Finland and looking for one to be worth recruiting.  I haven't seen anyone question the staff's judgment over going after Little.

The questioning was in regards to whether or not it would be worth our time and effort to actively search for another player from Finland.  The more time you spend there (26-28 hours round trip by plane + whatever time is spent there), the less time you are spending in other areas looking for recruits.  One could imagine that the rate of return of spending our time and resources going to Finland could be better spent elsewhere.....unless we get notice again of another prospect being worth going after...like the Little situation.

Time is valuable in recruiting.  Unless you have a known target to go after, I don't see scouting Finland as being the go to strategy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I don't think that was his point.

I think Little was brought to IU's attention.  It wasn't because IU was out there watching a bunch of kids in Finland and looking for one to be worth recruiting.  I haven't seen anyone question the staff's judgment over going after Little.

The questioning was in regards to whether or not it would be worth our time and effort to actively search for another player from Finland.  The more time you spend there (26-28 hours round trip by plane + whatever time is spent there), the less time you are spending in other areas looking for recruits.  One could imagine that the rate of return of spending our time and resources going to Finland could be better spent elsewhere.....unless we get notice again of another prospect being worth going after...like the Little situation.

Time is valuable in recruiting.  Unless you have a known target to go after, I don't see scouting Finland as being the go to strategy.

I didn't say it was....but in the original post on this topic, it was as if it was a waste of time to even talk to Little.  I am not saying send all over resources to Finland, but if we get told about a player, like this...I do think it is worth our time to recruit them.

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

I didn't say it was....but in the original post on this topic, it was as if it was a waste of time to even talk to Little.  I am not saying send all over resources to Finland, but if we get told about a player, like this...I do think it is worth our time to recruit them.

Then you and the other poster were debating 2 different things.

Edited by iuswingman

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

Then you and the other poster were debating 2 different things.

I guess that is the case. From the original post though he made it seem like why even bother....I am just saying if a kid is pointed out to us, I don't care if he is from Antarctica, we should at least check in on him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gnet550 said:

I guess that is the case. From the original post though he made it seem like why even bother....I am just saying if a kid is pointed out to us, I don't care if he is from Antarctica, we should at least check in on him.

No, I didn’t mean don’t bother. I meant what was said above. Wouldn’t want to see the program devote many resources to an area that historically hasn’t produced much talent.Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t pursue this kid 

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 2:34 PM, IUFLA said:

New article about Miro courtesy of @The Daily Hoosier...

Great stuff as always and answers a couple of questions for us...

Article answers a lot of questions that have been raised here. I like this excerpt-

“A great school, a great system. The fans and the atmosphere, it’s unique,” Packalén said of the experience at IU. “The town of Bloomington, it’s all about basketball. It’s just one of those things that you need to be there to really feel it. It was unbelievable. The people throughout the schools visits have been great, but the fans (at Indiana) are just crazy in a good way, I think. I know for a fact that whatever Miro chooses, I’ll be an Indiana fan for life just because of the environment that they’ve been able to create there. It’s perfect.”

His time in Bloomington also allowed him to spend time with Mike Woodson, who has been everywhere Little wants to go as a player.

With his goal of playing in the NBA, it’s no surprise that Woodson’s experience there appeals to Little.

“Coach Woodson’s presence, just when he speaks and Miro sits there and listens and tries to take all of it in,” Packalén said. “The charisma, it’s very powerful. The knowledge that he has, not only from the game itself but the business as a whole, it’s very unique.”

According to Packalén, her son wants to wait until his season concludes to make a decision on where he’ll attend college. That could be as late as April, depending on how far HBA advances in the playoffs.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Article answers a lot of questions that have been raised here. I like this excerpt-

“A great school, a great system. The fans and the atmosphere, it’s unique,” Packalén said of the experience at IU. “The town of Bloomington, it’s all about basketball. It’s just one of those things that you need to be there to really feel it. It was unbelievable. The people throughout the schools visits have been great, but the fans (at Indiana) are just crazy in a good way, I think. I know for a fact that whatever Miro chooses, I’ll be an Indiana fan for life just because of the environment that they’ve been able to create there. It’s perfect.”

His time in Bloomington also allowed him to spend time with Mike Woodson, who has been everywhere Little wants to go as a player.

With his goal of playing in the NBA, it’s no surprise that Woodson’s experience there appeals to Little.

“Coach Woodson’s presence, just when he speaks and Miro sits there and listens and tries to take all of it in,” Packalén said. “The charisma, it’s very powerful. The knowledge that he has, not only from the game itself but the business as a whole, it’s very unique.”

According to Packalén, her son wants to wait until his season concludes to make a decision on where he’ll attend college. That could be as late as April, depending on how far HBA advances in the playoffs.

April?

the-office-no-gif-11.gif

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No, I didn’t mean don’t bother. I meant what was said above. Wouldn’t want to see the program devote many resources to an area that historically hasn’t produced much talent.Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t pursue this kid 

My fault for misunderstanding sir!

19 hours ago, iuswingman said:

April?

the-office-no-gif-11.gif

Well considering the signing period for 23 is typically in the fall and some wait til the spring of next year that is not bad at all. Also allows him to see how our year plays out. I'd be thrilled to know by April as if he comes to the states and gets more visability other schools could make inroads. Wrap him up before he even comes over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Well considering the signing period for 23 is typically in the fall and some wait til the spring of next year that is not bad at all. Also allows him to see how our year plays out. I'd be thrilled to know by April as if he comes to the states and gets more visability other schools could make inroads. Wrap him up before he even comes over.

If i was a recruit, I would mess with people and announce on April 1st so everyone would question it.

• Haha 1