Iowa Post-Game Thread

KDB

Just listened to the post game show with Fish and Coach was very disappointed and dejected. He said he never expecting the team including Penix to play that way. Said they prepared well and Penix looked good all preseason. He also mentioned play calling from his coaches….He also took blame for the outcome as the head coach. 

• Like 4

The only silver lining I can come up with is that this was a game that was reasonable to lose. How we lost is obviously a major kick in the junk, but it wasn't like we were upset. The 1 loss doesn't really change much as far as the season goes. A lot of people thought this might be a loss anyways.

Obviously how we lost was really bad, but this would have hurt a lot worse for our season if we lost to a team we were favored to beat by 10.

• Like 2

Another silver lining is that we seemed to make it through the game relatively healthy.  Minnesota lost Ibrahim, and Bell for Michigan was carted off, so there have already been some pretty important guys go down this week. I'm sure Purdue will have some 2nd string guy get hurt that will derail their season too. Glad we stayed healthy.

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Just listened to the post game show with Fish and Coach was very disappointed and dejected. He said he never expecting the team including Penix to play that way. Said they prepared well and Penix looked good all preseason. He also mentioned play calling from his coaches….He also took blame for the outcome as the head coach. 

Agree with coach. Didn't see this coming at all. This didn't look like a team, for all the off season talk, that believed they could compete and win today. How they respond will tell us everything about this team. I still believe the talent is there to compete and win our share of games. This can't feel good to the players and their pride should rise to the top next week.

• Like 1

I'm glad coach addressed play calling.  Without going into a dissertation, as long as Sheridan is scheming and Penix is pulling the trigger,..this season will see 4 wins tops.  Actually, most of the other aspects of IU's effort weren't bad.  Without the int's Iowa really only accounted for 13 points on offense.  I see where Deboer is doing great at Fresno State.  He was a big, big loss.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Penix made the play calling difficult. Couple early 2nd and 15s we ran I think the same counter play maybe for losses…it just snowballed so fast it’s hard to point to that…especially when Penix was staring down guys.

I wonder what he’s looked like in practice?  Objective observation, not picking on the young man at all, but we didn’t have a chance with the scattershot throws no matter how anyone else did.  

31 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I’m on the road so my observations are some combo of missing parts, listening to Iowa’s broadcasters (legitimately terrible) and watching on my phone.  

But from what I saw the defensive scheme looked fine.  In fact there were times I felt like it was pretty smart. 

As far as assistants, the one I question is Hiller as the O line coach. I’m glad he’s landed Sales and Moore but the unit hasn’t been consistent all this time.

Another issue that no one mentioned is some of the undisciplined play. Katic and Marcellino come to mind. That’s just selfish and is a killer.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m on the road so my observations are some combo of missing parts, listening to Iowa’s broadcasters (legitimately terrible) and watching on my phone.  

But from what I saw the defensive scheme looked fine.  In fact there were times I felt like it was pretty smart. 

As far as assistants, the one I question is Hiller as the O line coach. I’m glad he’s landed Sales and Moore but the unit hasn’t been consistent all this time.

Another issue that no one mentioned is some of the undisciplined play. Katic and Marcellino come to mind. That’s just selfish and is a killer.

Who was the oline coach when Wilson was head coach?  Our running game was certainly better at that time.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

It was good to see Evans calm down. He was crapping himself on his first few punts. His last few were really good. You could see the power he has.

I agree. He definitely improved as the game went on. It’s hard to imagine being from New Zealand and kicking your first EVER  punt, at any level in an actual football game, and in front of 70,000 people. Not exactly a setup for success but to his credit he turned it around a bit.

• Like 1

Couple thoughts

1. Having played the game through college we were always told, “it’s not as good as you think, not as bad as you thing, it’s usually in between.” Tough to watch but I’ll try not to overreact to one game. 
2. I have concern about offensive play calling. Sheridan came from Mike DeBoard coaching tree. Similar to much of last year I didn’t see innovation on offense. The calls were conservative and predictable. 
3. Encouraging to see Anderson and Handy make plays on D. Gotta find ways to get more pressure by front 4. 
4. When Penix misses, his footwork is to blame. Getting better OL play would help, although he tends to be lazy at times with his feet. 

Next week will be a cupcake. Time to get right in preparation for Cincinnati. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Penix looked like a guy who hasn't played in a game in close to a year. 

No doubt. He has missed a ton of time, was very rusty and had to be mentally worried about taking his first few hits. Penix would probably be the first to say he had a bad game but I think he is catching too much sh%t. The upcoming Idaho game is the perfect next opponent for him, and our entire offense, and I’m not hitting the Penix panic button unless he lays an egg at both Idaho and Cinci.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

Couple thoughts

1. Having played the game through college we were always told, “it’s not as good as you think, not as bad as you thing, it’s usually in between.” Tough to watch but I’ll try not to overreact to one game. 
2. I have concern about offensive play calling. Sheridan came from Mike DeBoard coaching tree. Similar to much of last year I didn’t see innovation on offense. The calls were conservative and predictable. 
3. Encouraging to see Anderson and Handy make plays on D. Gotta find ways to get more pressure by front 4. 
4. When Penix misses, his footwork is to blame. Getting better OL play would help, although he tends to be lazy at times with his feet. 

#2.. what do you want to see? Specifics. I think the run game early on looked better... then we had to go one dimensional. If you can't block, you can't block. 

Everything else, I 100% agree with you. The 3 transfer DL were clearly good pickups. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

#2.. what do you want to see? Specifics. I think the run game early on looked better... then we had to go one dimensional. If you can't block, you can't block. 

Everything else, I 100% agree with you. The 3 transfer DL were clearly good pickups. 

My issue with the play calling is that it seems like a lot of calls that are great if your team is bigger, stronger, and faster. We don't things differently than what a lot of teams do, but that's my issue. There's just little to no creativity, and our plays are too predictable. You can get away with that if you win 1 on 1 battles, but our OL isn't going to win any of those. Our WR can win some when they have the time to get open, but too often we don't have the time.

We need more creativity like we had under DeBoer. He knew we didn't have the horses on the line, but he was great at drawing up quick hitters mixed in with deep plays.  He was unpredictable, and kept defenses way more off balance than what we've seen the last 2 years.

I don't have the football pedigree to know specifics of what exactly should be called, but I really don't think it's that big of a limb to go out on to say that we're predictable and not creative.

Our players today obviously didn't help with that at all, and there were a few times Penix had guys open and missed the read. Just throwing my thoughts out there on why I feel like play calling could be better.

• Like 1

First TD.. I think they were TE/Wing to the boundary.. and it looked like we were in an under front.. without Cam Jones covering the TE.

Then Reese dove inside as if he thought someone else was there.. maybe Reese flat out messed up. Truthfully don't know. 

It's not easy enough to say "we lost contain". That play, formationally, we were beat from the start. 

29 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

Couple thoughts

I guarantee you that UC is going to give us plenty of problems.  They have an experienced senior QB who can both run and pass.  Fickel is an exceptional head coach.  They have good overall speed on both sides of the ball.