Iowa Post-Game Thread

KDB

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

My issue with the play calling is that it seems like a lot of calls that are great if your team is bigger, stronger, and faster. We don't things differently than what a lot of teams do, but that's my issue. There's just little to no creativity, and our plays are too predictable. You can get away with that if you win 1 on 1 battles, but our OL isn't going to win any of those. Our WR can win some when they have the time to get open, but too often we don't have the time.

We need more creativity like we had under DeBoer. He knew we didn't have the horses on the line, but he was great at drawing up quick hitters mixed in with deep plays.  He was unpredictable, and kept defenses way more off balance than what we've seen the last 2 years.

I don't have the football pedigree to know specifics of what exactly should be called, but I really don't think it's that big of a limb to go out on to say that we're predictable and not creative.

Our players today obviously didn't help with that at all, and there were a few times Penix had guys open and missed the read. Just throwing my thoughts out there on why I feel like play calling could be better.

I thought there were a fair amount of newer wrinkles early on.. or at least more of willingness to run them. 

Option on 3rd. Wide toss. 

Penix risk of injury, to me, is seriously hampering our innovation. I love an inverted veer with an rpo, at times. Idk. 

He's zero threat to run. And once we had to throw it.. just a snowball. Even when you get behind the behind the chains.. and 8 yard QB scamper can do wonders. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I thought there were a fair amount of newer wrinkles early on.. or at least more of willingness to run them. 

Option on 3rd. Wide toss. 

Penix risk of injury, to me, is seriously hampering our innovation. I love an inverted veer with an rpo, at times. Idk. 

He's zero threat to run. And once we had to throw it.. just a snowball. Even when you get behind the behind the chains.. and 8 yard QB scamper can do wonders. 

I did think there was a little more variety with our run game. I saw a stat that last year about 33% of our plays were runs between the tackles. Not sure what most teams are, but that seems like a lot. We did a little more to try to get Carr to the outside.

Agreed on Penix. Hopefully it was just first game jitters of coming back, but you could see he had no interest in running. Not just running, but getting out of the pocket in general. Hopefully he just needs time to get comfortable taking hits again and it isn't a conscious effort to avoid running.

22 hours ago, btownqb said:

#2.. what do you want to see? Specifics. I think the run game early on looked better... then we had to go one dimensional. If you can't block, you can't block. 

Everything else, I 100% agree with you. The 3 transfer DL were clearly good pickups. 

Stretch the field! The second pick six and the multiple others that bopped off the defenders hands were particularly on routes less than 10 yards. Their DBs were sitting on routes all day daring us to go over the top. 

you are exactly right—if you go deep, you have to block it. 

The other disappointing aspect was calling many repeated play: mesh route (drags) on 3rd downs, TE bubble route. There’s just very little innovation in the play calling which drove me nuts with DeBoard (who Sheridan learned under). On the other hand, DeBorer was fantastic with play design and his Fresno State team gave Oregon run for their money today. 

Edited by DocHoosier
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

Stretch the field! The second pick six and the multiple others that bopped off the defenders hands were particularly on routes less than 10 yards. Their DBs were sitting on routes all day daring us to go over the top. 

you are exactly right—in for see to go deep, you have to block it. 

The other disappointing aspect was calling many repeated play: mesh route (drags) on 3rd downs, TE bubble route. There’s just very little innovation in the play calling which drove me nuts with DeBoard (who Sheridan learned under). On the other hand, DeBorer was fantastic with play design and his Fresno State team gave Oregon run for their money today. 

I think Iowas zone has some to do with the lack of downfield throws. 

We did do that a fair amount last year it seemed? Fades for sure. 

Going to be interesting the rest of the way.. Sheridan and Hillers jobs might be on the line. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think Iowas zone has some to do with the lack of downfield throws. 

We did do that a fair amount last year it seemed? Fades for sure. 

Going to be interesting the rest of the way.. Sheridan and Hillers jobs might be on the line. 

Penix missed the deep out on the first pick six. He was wide open. Just the wrong read. Hit the same play a series or two later. He just seemed off and didn't step into some throws. Of course,  he didn't have much time.  Hopefully he shakes the rust off and regains his swagger.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Penix missed the deep out on the first pick six. He was wide open. Just the wrong read. Hit the same play a series or two later. He just seemed off and didn't step into some throws. Of course,  he didn't have much time.  Hopefully he shakes the rust off and regains his swagger.

Yep. When his hands went to the head he knew he had Marshall....I believe it was him. Plenty of correctable mistakes. Next week is a warmup. The following needs to be  a W.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tough first game on the road against a really good opponent.. Iowa defense was flying around all day.. they exposed our weak points.. which is the offensive line.. Mike never got comfortable.. also our play calling was not good either as usual! It’s a long season, but I didn’t see a performance like this taking place.. thought we may go in there and lose but at least make it respectable and close.. the fact that it was that ugly from start to finish has me a little worried.. hopefully these mistakes don’t carry over into next week, but if they do.. there are bigger issues at hand. They better pick it up and get used to playing in front of a crowd.. we have 4 more tough road games.. PSU, MICHIGAN, MSU, and MINNESOTA.. all four are going to be toss ups.. I’m seeing 8-4 at best and maybe 6-6 this year.. I hope not but yesterday has me concerned for sure. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Tough first game on the road against a really good opponent.. Iowa defense was flying around all day.. they exposed our weak points.. which is the offensive line.. Mike never got comfortable.. also our play calling was not good either as usual! It’s a long season, but I didn’t see a performance like this taking place.. thought we may go in there and lose but at least make it respectable and close.. the fact that it was that ugly from start to finish has me a little worried.. hopefully these mistakes don’t carry over into next week, but if they do.. there are bigger issues at hand. They better pick it up and get used to playing in front of a crowd.. we have 4 more tough road games.. PSU, MICHIGAN, MSU, and MINNESOTA.. all four are going to be toss ups.. I’m seeing 8-4 at best and maybe 6-6 this year.. I hope not but yesterday has me concerned for sure. 

I thought we played at home against Minny?

FLUSH IT!  VERY APPROPRIATE! Definitely one for the toilet bowl. We looked two steps slow on defense and looked like Iowa had are entire playbook and when we were going to run each play. Maybe we are that bad? Maybe Penix is done? either way something is was way off. looked like a team not together at all. Attitudes? something stunk stinks?

3 hours ago, rico said:

I missed the game.  Labor Day week-end is my annual fishing party.  I was at the lake all day.  Checked out the score as I had a lure in the water.  Going to hit the water again today and pretend the Iowa game never happened.

I recorded the game but I doubt I will watch that.  It doesn’t scream fun to me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I'm going to be happy with 6-6 considering our schedule.  We just don't have enough effective clydesdales up front.  And frankly, I'm worried that Penix is damaged goods physically and mentally.  Plus all of the BIG teams we beat last season want to send us back to the bottom big time.  I see a long season ahead.  JMHO and I hope I'm very much wrong.

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I'm going to be happy with 6-6 considering our schedule.  We just don't have enough effective clydesdales up front.  And frankly, I'm worried that Penix is damaged goods physically and mentally.  Plus all of the BIG teams we beat last season want to send us back to the bottom big time.  I see a long season ahead.  JMHO and I hope I'm very much wrong.

I could see that.  Sometimes programs improve and then level off or step back for a year and then continue ascending.  With our recruiting there is a good chance that better times are coming though.  

With our schedule we have no margin for error whatsoever. Even teams like Rutgers, MSU and Maryland can send you packing.  

I think we know by the Cincinnati game.   In college football there is no time to waste.  Your season can unravel in a hurry.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I could see that.  Sometimes programs improve and then level off or step back for a year and then continue ascending.  With our recruiting there is a good chance that better times are coming though.  

With our schedule we have no margin for error whatsoever. Even teams like Rutgers, MSU and Maryland can send you packing.  

I think we know by the Cincinnati game.   In college football there is no time to waste.  Your season can unravel in a hurry.  

All part of the process in program building. Stacking 8-9 win seasons doesn't happen over night. I think I said on here in other thread....could be a better team with worse record this year. Penix will shake that rust off and we'll be full steam ahead after Idaho. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'm just a nervous old man who REALLY doesn't want to see things fall apart.  Yesterday was hard to swallow.

• Like 1

It’s way, way too early to panic but my “day dreaming” about Penix throwing 2 TD’s to Ty, one to Hendershot and Carr ripping off a 40 yard TD run, all against Iowa, has turned into concern. In addition to the offensive woes it’s hard to ignore that MSU beat Northwestern, Maryland beat WVU, PSU beat Wiscy, Rutgers looked good, MN battled OSU, etc. Some of our “easier”games (MSU, MD, Rutgers) are looking a lot tougher now.

Win the next 2 and things will look radically different/better.

• Like 2