Iowa Post-Game Thread

KDB

35 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I'm going to be happy with 6-6 considering our schedule.  We just don't have enough effective clydesdales up front.  And frankly, I'm worried that Penix is damaged goods physically and mentally.  Plus all of the BIG teams we beat last season want to send us back to the bottom big time.  I see a long season ahead.  JMHO and I hope I'm very much wrong.

Accurate. Hope no one was expecting to beat Michigan or Penn State this year, because yesterday was likely a preview for how at least one of those games will go. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

It’s way, way too early to panic but my “day dreaming” about Penix throwing 2 TD’s to Ty, one to Hendershot and Carr ripping off a 40 yard TD run, all against Iowa, has turned into concern. In addition to the offensive woes it’s hard to ignore that MSU beat Northwestern, Maryland beat WVU, PSU beat Wiscy, Rutgers looked good, MN battled OSU, etc. Some of our “easier”games (MSU, MD, Rutgers) are looking a lot tougher now.

Win the next 2 and things will look radically different/better.

Idaho is a win, but UC...that's going to be another tough one.  The Bearcats are good.

Edited by jv1972iu

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Accurate. Hope no one was expecting to beat Michigan or Penn State this year, because yesterday was likely a preview for how at least one of those games will go. 

You have no clue if this is true. Yes we had a bad game but that doesn't give a forecast of the rest of the season.

It is crazy the panic people are having over a loss, albeit an ugly one. I 100% think Coach Allen will get this team going and we still win nine or ten games. Other then the Buckeyes no team in the B1G is good enough to say they are guaranteed a win.

• Like 2

After sleeping on it, much more calm today. This is the same team, things will get better. The crowd was a factor early. Penix looked scared and I guess if you are made of glass you should be a little. I hope he over comes it. I didnt think the play calling got receivers into open spots enough. When they did we had some nice gains. First game for the coaches to, I guess. I wasnt impressed with the O-line at all, Jones was awful all day. This area needs recruited up in a big way. I didnt see any real speed from our new running back. I thought he could walk on water after listening to Tom Allen Talk about him. We will see.

Overall, First game on the road for a team that wasn't ready to play from Top to bottom.

Edited by Indykev

21 minutes ago, Indykev said:

After sleeping on it, much more calm today. This is the same team, things will get better. The crowd was a factor early. Penix looked scared and I guess if you are made of glass you should be a little. I hope he over comes it. I didnt think the play calling got receivers into open spots enough. When they did we had some nice gains. First game for the coaches to, I guess. I wasnt impressed with the O-line at all, Jones was awful all day. This area needs recruited up in a big way. I didnt see any real speed from our new running back. I thought he could walk on water after listening to Tom Allen Talk about him. We will see.

Overall, First game on the road for a team that wasn't ready to play from Top to bottom.

Carr ran hard…but he doesn’t have break away speed. He will not be a game changer imo. Penix has always thrown off his back foot…not sure why that was never corrected years ago. That said in previous games he surveyed the field and found the open guys. Yesterday he didn’t…he had made up his mind from the snap who he was going to throw to. We do need to do a better job getting the ball to our playmakers. Doesn’t have to be all downfield but Iowa was well coached and was a step ahead all game. They had an excellent game plan put together. I wasn’t impressed at all with their offense but defensively they were ready for us.

Any questions or negativity from the public "comes with the territory" for this team and staff, after a performance like yesterday's.  The way they made so many chowder-headed mistakes and seemed totally unprepared for the moment are the reasons there is doubt now.     

It is just one game, but it felt like more than that...  Lots of football ahead to prove it was a fluke.  I hope these guys can get it turned around.  We'll be rooting for them! 

Edited by Lizard
  • Like 1

Need offensive line improvement.  Open up the offense and get the ball downfield more.  Penix can move around to buy time.  He can't throw worse going forward.  First INT certainly not his fault, but the others?  Main concern is defense.  This is supposed to be the team's strength.  Need more 3 and outs, no long runs against, more tight coverage on wideouts, etc, etc.  Fix things next week and get ready for Cincinnati, Penn State, and forward.  Season not lost yet.

Coach Allen will leave no stone unturned in his preparation for next week. You can bet Coach will evaluate every single player who played or sat as well as those who didn’t make the trip and the entire coaching staff, starting with himself. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if Coach takes a longer, harder look at Donavan McCulley as well as Tuttle. Don’t get me wrong, Penix is our starter…..and CTA has faith in him, but he’s gonna be prepared if Penix crashes and burns again. I hope and pray, that’s the last we see a performance like that. 

Edited by Artesian_86

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Coach Allen will leave no stone unturned in his preparation for next week. You can bet Coach will evaluate every single player who played or sat as well as those who didn’t make the trip and the entire coaching staff, starting with himself. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if Coach takes a longer, harder look at Dexter Williams and Donavan McCulley as well as Tuttle. Don’t get me wrong, Penix is our starter…..and CTA has faith in him, but he’s gonna be prepared if Penix crashes and burns again. I hope and pray, that’s the last we see a performance like that. 

Dexter out with ACL. 

That was a devastating loss, but, at least to me, it honestly felt like the same kind of game OSU experienced against Purdue a few years ago.  In the first five minutes, it just felt kind of fated to go the way it ended up going.  Every bounce going Iowa's way, IU just couldn't get organized - I think a lot of people who have been IU fans see this and think, "here we go again," but I think those days are past us: sometimes it's just not your day.

I also thought the defense played very well despite the score.  Two pick 6's not their fault, and, in reality, stopped Iowa on 4th down the play before Petras rushed for the touchdown, though the officials gifted Iowa a first down on that by spotting the ball nearly a yard farther forward.

Also, keep in mind that, though we ended up beating Penn State in the first game last year, Penix only had 170 yards in that one (and largely looked like he did yesterday), followed up by 238 against Rutgers in week two.  Every other game he had over 300 yards, culminating in the near 500 yard game against OSU before getting injured against Maryland.  I fully expect him to come around in the next couple games.

I guess, in short, what I'm saying is that though this game was arguably the worst of Allen's tenure (the next closest, at least in my mind, was also against Iowa fwiw), I'm not really all that concerned just yet.  Penix made the same kind of mistakes he made in the opener last year (they just cost a lot more this time), and it was really kind of a once-in-a-lifetime (or at least once in a decade) environment.  After the first pick six, it just felt like Iowa was going to beat nearly any team put in front of them yesterday.

• Like 3