Iowa Post-Game Thread

KDB

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

I will leave this here. 

And this dude can flat out coach. Turned an awful Seymour team into a good one. 

Got it going a bit at Elkart too. 

Agree and same goes basketball or really any sport. 

Amongst many others, one reason I wanted Archie to be successful and know hope the same for Mike Woodson, is because message boards can be exhausting when every individual game is treated like a referendum on the coach.  

The default from fans after every loss is "got outcoached" or "we can't make halftime adjustments" when as fans we literally have less than 1% of the actual information. 

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now 🤣.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree and same goes basketball or really any sport. 

Amongst many others, one reason I wanted Archie to be successful and know hope the same for Mike Woodson, is because message boards can be exhausting when every individual game is treated like a referendum on the coach.  

The default from fans after every loss is "got outcoached" or "we can't make halftime adjustments" when as fans we literally have less than 1% of the actual information. 

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now 🤣.

In game adjustments, by in large, are wildly overrated. Exactly why Bob Knight preached preparation to the extent he did. 

There's a deep option essentially every play.. the fact Iowa sat with 2 safeties deep and a relentless pass rush all game... is the reason we didn't take anymore downfield shots than we did. 

I'm way more worried about our Jimmies and our Joe's than I am our Xs and Os. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

In game adjustments, by in large, are wildly overrated. Exactly why Bob Knight preached preparation to the extent he did. 

There's a deep option essentially every play.. the fact Iowa sat with 2 safeties deep and a relentless pass rush all game... is the reason we didn't take anymore downfield shots than we did. 

I'm way more worried about our Jimmies and our Joe's than I am our Xs and Os. 

Couldn't agree more. The X's and O's look a heck of a lot better when they're being executed by All-Americans. 

• Like 1

I must be a glutton for punishment but I went back and watched a chunk of the game, particularly looking for any bright spots.  

• I thought Weston Kramer at D tackle was slippery to block.  He was really quick and active. He gets low and is hard to block.  He looked good. 
  • Ryder Anderson also looked good.  Quick and long.  Handy is another who can be good.
  • Our corners were tight in coverage.  
  • On the O line, Bedford looked good.  He wasn’t the problem, IMO.
  • The O line was so bad that it was hard to get a gauge on Carr.  But I thought he ran hard and physically.  They ran him a lot wide and looked afraid to run between the tackles.
  • We have a good kicker.  

But the negatives were obviously way greater.  Too many guys underperformed.  

• It was jarring to see how truly bad Penix was.  It wasn’t just inaccuracy. He had some terrible mis-reads.  Not much the team can do when QB1 lays an egg.  You aren’t expecting that.
  • Our receivers need to man up besides Fryfogle.  Matthews, Buckley, come on you’re veterans.  They showed no juice.  If these guys aren’t going to assert themselves, then we have some young guys.  
  • I took a good look at the O line.  They tried to run behind Jones a lot and he wasn’t up to the task.  The announcer said Haggard was expected to start at LT but had a bum ankle which I didn’t expect.  Maybe he will be an upgrade.  I like Katic alot but he had too many lapses.  He was leaky, allowing them to penetrate.  Iowa stunted a lot and we didn’t look well schooled for the assignments.  I didn’t notice Powell hurting us at center, but he didn’t distinguish himself either.
  • If we are scared to run between the tackles, that is a problem.  That’s where Carr should be running.
  • We still had too many pass plays without a good pass rush.  Looked like Warren implemented fewer blitzes from surprise spots like safety, although we did get a good corner blitz.  
  • Too many bleeping penalties.  Give Iowa credit.  They were sound as heck.  

Very disappointing game.  Iowa was extremely sound and we weren’t.  This wasn’t a mismatch.  Their QB is mediocre.  They capitalized time and again and didn’t wait for us to match them.  

By the way, I appreciate Don Fischer’s play by play after listening to Iowa’s guy.  Fischer is always excellent walking you through the play, knowing you can’t see it.  Iowa’s guy, not so much.  So often he doesn’t explain well what happens on the play.  Very frustrating.    

• Like 5

3 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

It is concerning how poorly Penix played! After all his injuries they may be healed, but the mental healing isn’t ready to play! 

I don't think his problems are fear or scared to stand in the pocket. The guy will stand right in and take a lick plenty of times. The problem Saturday was he was staring down guys and wasn't coming off his primary receiver or the guy he "thought" was going to be open on the play from the presnap read. He hasn't always been like that. Could have been nerves combined with the crowd and then falling behind early allowed Iowa's DL to pin their ears back and secondary to sit in that zone. I think IU needs to be ready for a lot more zone this year. Not too many teams will have dbs to cover them one on one. Not even OSU (we showed that last year). Should have been prepared for that and had some easier reads etc but heck we missed a lot of wide open guys. Again...don't think it was any issue from his injuries and afraid to take a hit...although I didn't see him willing to run like in the past. He just has to try to make his progressions...and the OL has to give him time to do that.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I must be a glutton for punishment but I went back and watched a chunk of the game, particularly looking for any bright spots.  

• I thought Weston Kramer at D tackle was slippery to block.  He was really quick and active. He gets low and is hard to block.  He looked good. 
  • Ryder Anderson also looked good.  Quick and long.  Handy is another who can be good.
  • The O line was so bad that it was hard to get a gauge on Carr.  But I thought he ran hard and physically.  They ran him a lot wide and looked afraid to run between the tackles.
  • We have a good kicker.  

• It was jarring to see how truly bad Penix was.  It wasn’t just inaccuracy. He had some terrible mis-reads.  Not much the team can do when QB1 lays an egg.  You aren’t expecting that.
  • Our receivers need to man up besides Fryfogle.  Matthews, Buckley, come on you’re veterans.  They showed no juice.  If these guys aren’t going to assert themselves, then we have some young guys.  
  • I took a good look at the O line.  They tried to run behind Jones a lot and he wasn’t up to the task.  The announcer said Haggard was expected to start at LT but had a bum ankle which I didn’t expect.  Maybe he will be an upgrade.  I like Katic alot but he had too many lapses.  He was leaky, allowing them to penetrate.  Iowa stunted a lot and we didn’t look well schooled for the assignments.  I didn’t notice Powell hurting us at center, but he didn’t distinguish himself either.
  • If we are scared to run between the tackles, that is a problem.  That’s where Carr should be running.
  • We still had too many pass plays without a good pass rush.  Looked like Warren implemented fewer blitzes from surprise spots like safety, although we did get a good corner blitz.  

Very disappointing game.  Iowa was extremely sound and we weren’t.  This wasn’t a mismatch.  Their QB is mediocre.  They capitalized time and again and didn’t wait for us to match them.  

By the way, I appreciate Don Fischer’s play by play after listening to Iowa’s guy.  Fischer is always excellent walking you through the play, knowing you can’t see it.  Iowa’s guy, not so much.  So often he doesn’t explain well what happens on the play.  Very frustrating.    

Great accessment...spot on with what I was noticing. Turnovers killed us early. No momentum because of a lot of misreads by Penix. OL did not look good and will need to improve. Carr ran hard and looked like he is a sure 3-4 yard a run guy...but I didn't see anything to think he can break off big runs (nothing speed-wise). DB's looked great (although Iowa doesn't have much to test us). Had to blitz to get pressure again...need better than that. Last year we made the big plays on defense and set up our offense and stole momentum. Question might be is can we create our own momentum without those big plays because I don't think we will get tested back there as much....and also teams are not going to just play man to man with our receivers...not very many can handle us. We are going to see a lot of zone and guys need to know where the holes are and Penix needs to find them and not just lock into one guy as he gets passed off from guy to guy and never gets open. Teams are going to take away big plays and make us be consistent and try to force us to put together long drives thinking we won't be able to sustain them without penalties or a miscue. Penix hasn't shown he is nearly accurate enough...teams are going to make him check it down or take away his Fryfogle and make him find other guys. He can do it...but he has to open his eyes and his line has to give him more time.

• Like 1

Even of the 17, I think some of that came off a short field due to yet another turnover.

On one of their TD drives, we self-destructed too.  There was that fourth and short where Burgess had their receiver tied up and for some reason tossed him forward for the first down.  That was a killer.  The Marcellino late hit was in there.

Not saying it because of woulda coulda shoulda, but because our defense does have good potential.  We were *that far* (I am showing a pinching gesture) from a lights out defensive performance.  Not making an excuse but showing the potential that we have, at least on that side of the ball.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

• We have a good kicker.  

What was your thoughts on the D's execution of the first Iowa TD run? 

Edited by B_A

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It looked like we didn’t set the edge well at all there.  Definitely not a good play and a breakdown. But they seemed to tighten up after that.  

Yep...corner can't give up the outside like that and dive inside and take himself out of the play. At the very worst he has take on the blocker and to make the runner cut back and give his safety a chance to have an angle and just give up a chunk play but not a td. I can't remember but somehow they outnumbered us over there...wouldn't be surprised someone lined up wrong on top of the poor containment/execution. Rest of the game we definitely held our own. Still need a better pass rush but the secondary held up just fine and I think our LBs are as good as anyone.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

A very unusual high scoring game that was dominated by special teams.

We had a nice running game, but I'm still unsure of Penix and the offense.  I'm not saying they don't have it but just that they really haven't proved it on the field this year, yet.  They'll get their chance next week v. Cincy.