Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
rico

Sports cards.

Recommended Posts

I started collecting in the early 70's and kept my passion into the mid 90's.  I mainly collected baseball cards, but I got plenty of football, basketball, and hockey cards.  As a matter of fact, I got a whole walk-in closet full of them.  But anyway I came across this today and I thought it was pretty cool......

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/how-a-very-talented-baseball-fan-is-bringing-baseball-cards-back-in-style-by-hand/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was cool. I collected throughout my childhood and even some as a young adult. As an adult, I began collecting more memorabilia such as autographed items and have a good sized collection now that I will probably pass down to my kids if they have any interest in it. I saw the 89 Fleer Billy Ripken "F$%# F@#$" card in that story and I remember having my parents drive me around to the different drug stores and convenience stores that sold them at that time and bought them out. I ended up with 4 of them and was able to sell them at a card show for like $45-$50 a piece and made a nice profit. I think I bought one years later for my collection for like $10 ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Among many others, I had a Mickey Mantel rookie card.... that my mother threw out went I left for Indiana University.  Currently selling for $65,000 dollars !

Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps Baseball Rookie Card #311 - PSA Graded EX 5 | Steel City Collectibles

 

Sorry to hear that Mile!

My dad told me stories about how he worked at a convenience store when he was a boy and they used to throw out 52 Topps baseball cards that didn't sell during the season. Probably threw out a Mantle rookie or other crazy expensive cards.

Another story...my grandma remarried several years after my grandfather died. Her husband used to tell me how he had a bunch of old baseball cards that he would have given me (1920s/30s)  that his brother stole from him including Hack Wilson. I can't imagine what those are worth.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Sorry to hear that Mile!

My dad told me stories about how he worked at a convenience store when he was a boy and they used to throw out 52 Topps baseball cards that didn't sell during the season. Probably threw out a Mantle rookie or other crazy expensive cards.

Another story...my grandma remarried several years after my grandfather died. Her husband used to tell me how he had a bunch of old baseball cards that he would have given me (1920s/30s)  that his brother stole from him including Hack Wilson. I can't imagine what those are worth.

Thank you, sir.

My parents owned and operated a convenience store.... long before they were called convenience stores.  Much like your dad.... I had access to any package of baseball cards, I wanted.  I had great parents.  They took great care of me, growing up. I will keep this to baseball cards for this discussion.  In terms of baseball cards..... I had boxes and boxes of them. Probably the main reason, my mother got rid of them.  Mantle was just one.... I am sure there were others that are worth a lot of money today.  My mother just cleaned house one day, after I left for IU... and those cards were gone.  I was upset at the time.... but did not think it was that big of a thing either.  Little did I know how much those cards could or would be today. Besides, I loved the gum.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Among many others, I had a Mickey Mantel rookie card.... that my mother threw out went I left for Indiana University.  Currently selling for $65,000 dollars !

Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps Baseball Rookie Card #311 - PSA Graded EX 5 | Steel City Collectibles

 

I still have his 56 card but not in mint. Have plenty of rookies that are near and dear. Sandberg, Boggs, Gwynn, Mattingly....all guys I loved watching hit growing up. Have a few others that will remain in my closet in containers. 

This past year I ran across two unopened boxes of topps football cards. 1981 to be exact. Anyone who collected football cards knows Montana could be in there. Still not sure what I'm going to to do. Save for rainy day. Open them all and pray...or maybe see what their worth. 

I loved card collecting. 4 packs for $1 at my Ben Franklin in Illinois. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I still have his 56 card but not in mint. Have plenty of rookies that are near and dear. Sandberg, Boggs, Gwynn, Mattingly....all guys I loved watching hit growing up. Have a few others that will remain in my closet in containers. 

This past year I ran across two unopened boxes of topps football cards. 1981 to be exact. Anyone who collected football cards knows Montana could be in there. Still not sure what I'm going to to do. Save for rainy day. Open them all and pray...or maybe see what their worth. 

I loved card collecting. 4 packs for $1 at my Ben Franklin in Illinois. 

Hoping for the best for your unopened cards.   And.... Ben Franklin stores.... could open up a whole another topic of iconic stores that no longer exist, like Montgomery Ward and Robert Hall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I still have his 56 card but not in mint. Have plenty of rookies that are near and dear. Sandberg, Boggs, Gwynn, Mattingly....all guys I loved watching hit growing up. Have a few others that will remain in my closet in containers. 

This past year I ran across two unopened boxes of topps football cards. 1981 to be exact. Anyone who collected football cards knows Montana could be in there. Still not sure what I'm going to to do. Save for rainy day. Open them all and pray...or maybe see what their worth. 

I loved card collecting. 4 packs for $1 at my Ben Franklin in Illinois. 

If you decide to ever open them and pull a mint Montana, you should get it graded via PSA and if it grades out at a 9 or 10 you should get quite a bit for it.

I had the opportunity to meet Sandberg several times and Boggs some. I have tons of stuff signed by Sandberg and Boggs and some good pics with Sandberg. They are both really class acts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you, sir.

My parents owned and operated a convenience store.... long before they were called convenience stores.  Much like your dad.... I had access to any package of baseball cards, I wanted.  I had great parents.  They took great care of me, growing up. I will keep this to baseball cards for this discussion.  In terms of baseball cards..... I had boxes and boxes of them. Probably the main reason, my mother got rid of them.  Mantle was just one.... I am sure there were others that are worth a lot of money today.  My mother just cleaned house one day, after I left for IU... and those cards were gone.  I was upset at the time.... but did not think it was that big of a thing either.  Little did I know how much those cards could or would be today. Besides, I loved the gum.

 

My dad was a good guy but he never collected cards nor was he into sports memorabilia. However, I own a Jackie Robinson (and Dr. Seuss autograph ha) thanks to my dad and his newspaper column. Actually, I just got those professionally framed recently. I like hearing someone else liked/chewed the gum too ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

My dad was a good guy but he never collected cards nor was he into sports memorabilia. However, I own a Jackie Robinson (and Dr. Seuss autograph ha) thanks to my dad and his newspaper column. Actually, I just got those professionally framed recently. I like hearing someone else liked/chewed the gum too ha.

My son was born in Colorado.  But has been a Chicago Cub fan for life.  He has a Sammy Sosa autographed rookie card. He went to a game the year Sammy tied the all time home run National League record for home runs.... here in Colorado.  My son got to the game early, and shouted out to Sammy, who stopped and signed my son's rookie card of Sammy. To this day... my son talks about how nice of a guy Sammy was that day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My son was born in Colorado.  But has been a Chicago Cub fan for life.  He has a Sammy Sosa autographed rookie card. He went to a game the year Sammy tied the all time home run National League record for home runs.... here in Colorado.  My son got to the game early, and shouted out to Sammy, who stopped and signed my son's rookie card of Sammy. To this day... my son talks about how nice of a guy Sammy was that day. 

Good story and great memories for your family...and we can always use more Cub fans!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

If you decide to ever open them and pull a mint Montana, you should get it graded via PSA and if it grades out at a 9 or 10 you should get quite a bit for it.

I had the opportunity to meet Sandberg several times and Boggs some. I have tons of stuff signed by Sandberg and Boggs and some good pics with Sandberg. They are both really class acts.

Yep. Kind of know the deal. Have a guy that has offered some $ for two unopened boxes. Just not sure what I think is the right way to handle. We card collect for a reason. Sometimes those are conversations we enjoy having which is the reason we don't sell? Was on the field in 84 for Camera Day with Cubs. 10 year olds should never be that happy. Haha..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to send out a shout out to Rico. For starting this thread.  Really wish we could build the "Animal House" in the type of board that North Carolina has built their off topic (Google Zigga Zoomba)  thread. And the way that Kansas fans have built their off topic thread as well.  Non political.  Just great topics of non sports discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Got to send out a shout out to Rico. For starting this thread.  Really wish we could build the "Animal House" in the type of board that North Carolina has built their off topic (Google Zigga Zoomba)  thread. And the way that Kansas fans have built their off topic thread as well.  Non political.  Just great topics of non sports discussion.

Just being me mile!  I love these kind of discussions.  And I agree, need some more activity in this forum.  On my fishing site we call this forum that you got here the "Barbershop".  And it is our most viewed forum.  But back to cards!!!!!!!!!  I got every Reggie Jackson card there was.  I got them in a big picture frame displayed proudly in my living room.  Some of my other "prized" cards are Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, and Willy Mays.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rico said:

Just being me mile!  I love these kind of discussions.  And I agree, need some more activity in this forum.  On my fishing site we call this forum that you got here the "Barbershop".  And it is our most viewed forum.  But back to cards!!!!!!!!!  I got every Reggie Jackson card there was.  I got them in a big picture frame displayed proudly in my living room.  Some of my other "prized" cards are Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, and Willy Mays.  

Do you have their rookie cards? Besides the autographed items I already listed from my dad, my favorite items are probably my Walter Payton autographed items, Peyton Manning autos as well as my favorite Cubs autos (Sandberg, Grace, Dawson, Bryant, Rizzo, Maddux, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Santo, and Fergie Jenkins. I am toying with the idea of getting all the autographs of the Cubs world series team to make a nice framed display.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Do you have their rookie cards? Besides the autographed items I already listed from my dad, my favorite items are probably my Walter Payton autographed items, Peyton Manning autos as well as my favorite Cubs autos (Sandberg, Grace, Dawson, Bryant, Rizzo, Maddux, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Santo, and Fergie Jenkins. I am toying with the idea of getting all the autographs of the Cubs world series team to make a nice framed display.

Only Reggie's from the four I mentioned.  As far as rookie cards from that guys that I grew up watching.  George Brett, Mike Schmidt, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, Tony Gwynn, Rickey Henderson etc.

I love the idea about the autographs.  That would be so cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 10:43 AM, FritzIam4IU said:

That was cool. I collected throughout my childhood and even some as a young adult. As an adult, I began collecting more memorabilia such as autographed items and have a good sized collection now that I will probably pass down to my kids if they have any interest in it. I saw the 89 Fleer Billy Ripken "F$%# F@#$" card in that story and I remember having my parents drive me around to the different drug stores and convenience stores that sold them at that time and bought them out. I ended up with 4 of them and was able to sell them at a card show for like $45-$50 a piece and made a nice profit. I think I bought one years later for my collection for like $10 ha. 

Believe it or not I got the card not corrected in a pack of cards at our local store.  I was so excited but with all the corrections it is virtually worth nothing.  I still love that card. its funny that Cal was the one who wrote that on the bat if I remember correctly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I at one point have every Griffey Jr. card ever made until that started doing like 500 different ones a year. I want to say up until 98 or so.  I have the Upper deck #1 card autographed and several in mint condition.  I just cant believe that they are not worth more than they are. I have the opportunity to play against him and thought it pretty cool to collect all things Griffey.  My all time favorite player along side Johnny Bench

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I at one point have every Griffey Jr. card ever made until that started doing like 500 different ones a year. I want to say up until 98 or so.  I have the Upper deck #1 card autographed and several in mint condition.  I just cant believe that they are not worth more than they are. I have the opportunity to play against him and thought it pretty cool to collect all things Griffey.  My all time favorite player along side Johnny Bench

That 89 Upper Deck card brings back lots of memories for me. I remember as a kid being at a decent size card show at our mall when those first came out. I was shocked they were charging $1 a pack...which was a lot of money to me at the time when I was used to paying around .40 or so a pack. I think the Griffey rookie was selling for $15 at that time, while the other brands were in the $4-$6 range. I was in the local drug store, which sold cards back then, and I remember they had them on sale/clearnace at the end of the season and I bought about a box and a half worth (whatever they had left in stock). Then in 1990 I bought a bunch of the boxes thinking they were going to be worth big bucks and they were never worth much ha.

It sucks that they started making so many cards in the 90s that it just got to be too much. That was one of the reasons I switched and started collecting autographs more. That is really cool you have that card signed though and had the opportunity to play against him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Believe it or not I got the card not corrected in a pack of cards at our local store.  I was so excited but with all the corrections it is virtually worth nothing.  I still love that card. its funny that Cal was the one who wrote that on the bat if I remember correctly 

Yep. I think they ended up with a bunch of different versions of the corrections. I remember regretting not keeping one, but then when I looked to buy one, it was only around $10, which was definitely worth it to me ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×