2023 PF Kwame Evans Jr. Commits to Oregon

IUFLA

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If we start landing guys like this, I fully believe Woodson will have us being a load to handle.

UNC is under new management.  Duke is about to be under new management.  The natives are restless down south.  Now is as good a time as any for Woodson to lean on that NBA pedigree and reassert Indiana as a real player for the top kids.  You bring in talent, this staff will win.

You bring up a very good point. This is the type of recruit who would go to UK/Duke/NC in season’s past. I think times are changing for our favor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If we start landing guys like this, I fully believe Woodson will have us being a load to handle.

UNC is under new management.  Duke is about to be under new management.  The natives are restless down south.  Now is as good a time as any for Woodson to lean on that NBA pedigree and reassert Indiana as a real player for the top kids.  You bring in talent, this staff will win.

I think the issue is going to be NIL for these top prospects… Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Texas have people who will pay crap tons to bring top recruits in. I just don’t think Indiana has that which surprises me with how much people love Indiana basketball.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think the issue is going to be NIL for these top prospects… Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Texas have people who will pay crap tons to bring top recruits in. I just don’t think Indiana has that which surprises me with how much people love Indiana basketball.

I am split on how I think NIL will impact IU. An alternative perspective I had that would help IU is that most of those teams you mentioned already had donors giving money to players. Now IU can do this as well. It may balance the leger a bit. 

Anyway, we will find out soon enough.

Edited by GaloisGroupe

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just your weekly reminder that Woodson has been in charge for only 9 months or so. Amazing the elevation in recruiting he's done already. Securing visits (as of now) for the elite of elite recruits? Thank you very much. This is all we've ever wanted. 

We need to land them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just your weekly reminder that Woodson has been in charge for only 9 months or so. Amazing the elevation in recruiting he's done already. Securing visits (as of now) for the elite of elite recruits? Thank you very much. This is all we've ever wanted. 

If getting guys on campus won games, you would have needed a new username years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll edit your post for you...if getting the "right" guys on campus....this type of recruit is the reason Coach K wins titles. Not his coaching prowess.

CAM got plenty of guys on campus. He just didn’t close the deal with those out of state 5 star guys. IMO it’s a little premature to think things have really changed yet. TBD for me. Don’t get me wrong, we don’t have the same quality right now if CAM had stayed (most likely), but who knows with the transfer portal. College bball completely changed this past offseason. I like what CMW has done so far, but it’s all been based off of his NBA experience. Now let’s see if we can win games and build something sustainable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Just curious if anyone worries about one and done players?

There really isn't such a thing anymore. Kids like that go straight to the G-League or other professional leagues now. Don't get me wrong....some kids come in and only play a year but that is mostly because they exceed expectations...the Cousins/Walls/Zions of the world won't be coming to college anymore. With the transfer portal one year might be all many teams get with these kids....seeing as so many transfer regardless of playing time etc.

16 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Need to get Mellencamp to fork over some big bucks, just sayin'......

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

CAM got plenty of guys on campus. He just didn’t close the deal with those out of state 5 star guys. IMO it’s a little premature to think things have really changed yet. TBD for me. Don’t get me wrong, we don’t have the same quality right now if CAM had stayed (most likely), but who knows with the transfer portal. College bball completely changed this past offseason. I like what CMW has done so far, but it’s all been based off of his NBA experience. Now let’s see if we can win games and build something sustainable. 

Are from Missouri? You know, the Show Me state??  😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There really isn't such a thing anymore. Kids like that go straight to the G-League or other professional leagues now. Don't get me wrong....some kids come in and only play a year but that is mostly because they exceed expectations...the Cousins/Walls/Zions of the world won't be coming to college anymore. With the transfer portal one year might be all many teams get with these kids....seeing as so many transfer regardless of playing time etc.

A few go directly from high school to pro ( 3 of the top 25 players this year) but the current NBADRAFT.NET mock draft  is projecting that 15 of the top 20 NBA picks will be current freshmen. The breakdown of the projected 2022 top 20 picks is 15 freshmen, 4 sophomores and 1 international. One and done is still alive and well.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Although rich, I doubt Mellencamp has the kinda cash to pay one player a hefty amount.  Cuban? Yes. Yes he does. I am still not a big fan of this regardless of the player. If they are that good, in essence you're going to be paying a guy for one year. Not sure what kinda of agreements you can make with these kids, like make them stay for three years for such and such money. I would support doing what Texas did for their o-line, pay each kid a certain amount. But to give one kid a ton of cash for one year? I'll pass.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So true story.. my dads family is from brown county Indiana and one of Mellencamps sons was in someone in my dads family’s wedding so I always say I went to a wedding with him 😂😂😂😂…. Is there any rules to Mark Cuban giving NIL’s? If so I bet he has some friends that could step in for him to get around those rules. Cuban has a crap ton of money he should be giving to the players if he’s allowed.