2023 PF Kwame Evans Jr. Commits to Oregon

IUFLA

On 1/20/2022 at 12:26 PM, slojoe said:

He is well along in the process.  It's not all that early as the signing period is late this year.

If we are in the final 3 for the young man then I have to like our chances. I'm always hesitant to get to excited about our chances with this caliber of a big man. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

I like our chances going against those coaches and universities. If he said final of Duke UK and IU I’d be more nervous about it. He’s looking at style of play. Woody will play his style. 1-5 shooting buckets from everywhere. If you are open you shoot. 

There are factors that will help us against the above named.  Coach Woodson, his reputation, NBA DNA, etc.  Elite recruits will want that.

Now, what has happened with Duke is that fact they can buy houses, jewelry, cash without a hand slap.  Heck, it could be all over the internet and FBI investigations and not a slap.

NIL will help others, until we learn that we will go that route to the extent of others.  

Coach Woodson is beloved in basketball circles, handlers, families will want their kids to play there.  

Other factors, playing time, etc.  

• KDB changed the title to 2023 PF Kwame Evans Jr.
14 minutes ago, KDB said:

Notice he said he had good relationships with the coaches at Auburn and UK but said we have a great coaching staff and has a great relationship with them.  I could see it coming down to us and Oregon since he did mention Nike.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Notice he said he had good relationships with the coaches at Auburn and UK but said we have a great coaching staff and has a great relationship with them.  I could see it coming down to us and Oregon since he did mention Nike.

Yeah him mentioning Nike was interesting.. I believe this one comes down to NIL… beating out Oregon for NIL might be tough. 

1 minute ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I believe this one is going to come down to how he can develop the most in which system in order to get ready for the NBA.. as well as how much money he can make with NIL 

Then Kentucky should be out; Cal and player development don’t go together; actually sounded more enthusiastic about IU in my opinion.

• Like 3

Just now, WRSMick55 said:

Then Kentucky should be out; Cal and player development don’t go together; actually sounded more enthusiastic about IU in my opinion.

I agree. I think Cal is totally overrated as a coach. Guy just gets talented players every year with his BS recruiting pitches. Only reason he wins. Actual X’s and O’s… he’s average and development wise he’s not that good. 

5 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

I wonder if a certain UK junior still thinks coach Cal is the quickest way to those NBA millions...???

"Time to be selfish!!!"  😂😂😂

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Don’t think we land him but IMO really good sign that Texas didn’t make his final 5 since he also has a very talented Montverde teammate on there. Leads me to believe we aren’t on that list solely because of personal connections. 

Well, I think his dad is tight with Hunter, so there's still a big personal connection. (Unless I'm misremembering and it's a different high profile recruit who's dad played ball with Hunter.) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

When is the last time we went outside of the state of Indiana to sign a top 5 ranked recruit?  This would be huge, and much needed in terms of recruiting momentum.

Josh Smith ‘04 recruit. He was the #2 recruit in the country. Signed with us but went straight to the NBA. I believe Davis had the #1 recruiting class that year. We had Josh Smith, DJ White, Robert Vaden, AJ Ratliff and James Hardy. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

Well, I think his dad is tight with Hunter, so there's still a big personal connection. (Unless I'm misremembering and it's a different high profile recruit who's dad played ball with Hunter.) 

I don’t know about this, but I’m 99% sure this is the kid who somehow ties in with Carmelo Anthony. I think his family knows him or something. Point being Carmelo loves Woodson

Edited by gnet550