Coaches on the "Hot Seat" 2018

rico

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If Chambers can't make some progress with that roster in this year's B1G, does PSU hit reset again?  I think that would be a mistake, but who knows. 

You can only reset so many times.  They are definitely a NIT team at this point.  Football school, if I was Penn St. I would do everything in my power to keep Chambers.  The guy is a damn good coach.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

You can only reset so many times.  They are definitely a NIT team at this point.  Football school, if I was Penn St. I would do everything in my power to keep Chambers.  The guy is a damn good coach.  

A damn good coach who’s never finished higher than 10th in the conference in 6 seasons at Penn State and is headed for another finish toward the bottom of the league?  If Penn State makes the NIT this year it will be the only tournament Chambers has taken them to besides the CBI in 2014, and the arrow isn’t pointing up.  I think he’s a pretty terrible coach, but I don’t think PSU much cares as long as the football team is winning.

Penn St basketball is the type of program/coach where they could take a flyer on a a guy like Dane Fife if they wanted. Their fans don't care about hoops and obviously administration doesn't either. I like Chambers but a Big 10 school has to reach a point where they say you've been here for 6 seasons. What's changing? 

I went and looked up some history on Penn St.  Since the NCAA was created they have made the tournament 9 times.  They have never been ranked in the AP pre-season poll.  They have appeared in the AP final poll twice.  And they have appeared in the AP poll in 4 seperate seasons.

A basketball school it is not.  That being said I sure as the hell wouldn't want to coach there.

I know if I were a top recruit I wouldn't go to PSU because the atmosphere in that arena is terrible.  Chambers let's Carr take over the team to much and I think he took around 30 shots last night.  If I were Stevens or their big center I would be getting frustrated with not getting ball in their offense.

The thing about Chambers is, despite PSU being a terrible basketball school, he’s actually squandered a pretty good amount of talent.  They finished 6th in the Big 10, made the BTT championship game, and made the tourney the year they fired their last coach and replaced him with Chambers (which looks like a pretty big mistake considering Chambers has never even approached that kind of success in 7 seasons). 

Granted, that was a senior-laden team, but Chambers had two all-Big Ten level guards in DJ Newbill and Tim Frazier (now in the NBA) for his first three seasons there and couldn’t do anything.  In 2015 and 2016, he landed 4 star recruits Watkins, Reaves, Carr, and Stevens, who have all turned into good/great players, to go along with a solid PG in Garner.  And they still suck.   A good coach would be able to achieve better results with that talent.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The thing about Chambers is, despite PSU being a terrible basketball school, he’s actually squandered a pretty good amount of talent.  They finished 6th in the Big 10, made the BTT championship game, and made the tourney the year they fired their last coach and replaced him with Chambers (which looks like a pretty big mistake considering Chambers has never even approached that kind of success in 7 seasons). 

Granted, that was a senior-laden team, but Chambers had two all-Big Ten level guards in DJ Newbill and Tim Frazier (now in the NBA) for his first three seasons there and couldn’t do anything.  In 2015 and 2016, he landed 4 star recruits Watkins, Reaves, Carr, and Stevens, who have all turned into good/great players, to go along with a solid PG in Garner.  And they still suck.   A good coach would be able to achieve better results with that talent.

Actually, they didn't fire Ed DeChellis; he left voluntarily and without their prompting in order to coach at...Navy!  Rather embarrassing to have your coach leave for that job. 

5 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Actually, they didn't fire Ed DeChellis; he left voluntarily and without their prompting in order to coach at...Navy!  Rather embarrassing to have your coach leave for that job. 

Could be wrong, but if I remember he did leave on his own but I don't think it was without prompting a bit. I think he would have been going into his final year and was asking for an extension and they wouldn't give it to him, so he left. 

I could totally be making that up, but for some reason that's how I remember it. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I would love to see Little Ricky stay at Minnesota forever. 

I'm torn...I'd love to see Minnesota admit he was a terrible hire...that they brought him strictly for his name, but at the same time, I'd love to see him stay at Minnesota and be just as (in)effective as he's been for most of his career.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:15 PM, rico said:

Is my comment worth sending me a nasty PM?  Geez.

Hey no hard feelings on my part! You acted like you had a vendetta against me since I disagreed about Shaka.....I don’t even like him and his coaching is proving me wrong! You may be right! Bottom line go IU!

Archived