Idaho Game Thread

20 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I’ don’t doubt that. When I was at IU, and when I lived in Chicago, I went to virtually every game (missed a few when I was in Chicago). Would love to be at the Cinci game and am sure you, and everyone in attendance, will have a great time.

Pretty sure it's Cincy not Cinci. Go Hoosiers! 

Good to get in the win column. Lots of positives from the game. My only issue is that I wish we would have had Penix chucking it around. Some of that was because of the game with short fields and being up big, but I don't think this game helps him a ton. Maybe a little confidence boost and a little more rust knocked off, but 11-16 for only 68 yards isn't much after how bad he looked last week. Would have liked to see more passing and less running in the 1st half. 

Overall though, we looked pretty solid when the game mattered. Lots of good things to take away from this one.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I walked into the student section before we left and took this panorama...more students showed up and filled in the right side too. Amazing to see the students show up, even if it's just for 1.5 quarters. Can't wait for Saturday's sell out!

20210911_202746.jpg

• Like 2

I think this year will be the best defense IU has ever had; I know they've been pretty good the past couple years, but I think they're going to be very hard to play against this year.  With the recruits coming in, I think it's only getting better in the coming years.

Special teams is extremely solid.

Really, the only weakness I think we have is the offensive line.  For this team to have another special season, they're really going to have to step it up.

Penix still looks a little shaky, but even if he doesn't come around, Tuttle looked really good, confident, and calm in his time yesterday. His throws were absolutely on the money, too.

• Like 1

A few young guys who I noticed out there:

Josh Sales came in at LT late.  

So did Zach Carpenter at center.  That man is a mauler.  He’s very big and physical.  He’d give us some power for sure.  

How about AJ Barner at TE?   Future looks very bright for him and for us, post-Hendershot.  He is an athlete at 6’6.  On his punt block, he moved like a 6’1 safety.  Very agile.  His long TD was fantastic.  He looked really good out there and I’m not just saying that because he made huge plays.  

Tuttle was a game manager last year and hopefully he’s moving to the next level now.  Nice toss to Barner.  

On 9/12/2021 at 11:08 AM, rogue3542 said:

I think this year will be the best defense IU has ever had; I know they've been pretty good the past couple years, but I think they're going to be very hard to play against this year.  With the recruits coming in, I think it's only getting better in the coming years.

Special teams is extremely solid.

Really, the only weakness I think we have is the offensive line.  For this team to have another special season, they're really going to have to step it up.

Penix still looks a little shaky, but even if he doesn't come around, Tuttle looked really good, confident, and calm in his time yesterday. His throws were absolutely on the money, too.

Still zero pass rush outside of blitzing. The d-line has to put some pressure on the qb. Even a great defensive backfield can only cover guys for so long.

Going through the film... we had a couple more wrinkles RPO wise that I don't think we've shown. On Swinton's TD catch that is a called RPO, Penix liked what he saw on the outside and let Swinton work for him. We also ran a backside slant off of a buck sweep action.. same thing, RPO, and Tuttle liked the slant for Swinton. I don't think we had shown either of those types of run schemes.  

Lastly.. we ran a trap play that starts at 1:22 on this film I'm going to post, that we for sure haven't ran much of. Hendershot, Jones, Bedford, Powell all do a tremendous job. Katic is fine, Haggard gave up too much ground, but Carr didn't see the cut to be made. At 1:26 if you pause it...if Carr breaks that to the sideline, he might score. 

I liked the tunnel screen on 3rd and 5. 

Our "lack of yards" was a direct impact of the 2 block punts, good KOR, and the fumble recovery at like the 12. 

It's also absolutely stupid for college football to count "sacks" as rushing yards. So dumb lol It's not a running play. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Going through the film... we had a couple more wrinkles RPO wise that I don't think we've shown. On Swinton's TD catch that is a called RPO, Penix liked what he saw on the outside and let Swinton work for him. We also ran a backside slant off of a buck sweep action.. same thing, RPO, and Tuttle liked the slant for Swinton. I don't think we had shown either of those types of run schemes.  

Lastly.. we ran a trap play that starts at 1:22 on this film I'm going to post, that we for sure haven't ran much of. Hendershot, Jones, Bedford, Powell all do a tremendous job. Katic is fine, Haggard gave up too much ground, but Carr didn't see the cut to be made. At 1:26 if you pause it...if Carr breaks that to the sideline, he might score. 

I liked the tunnel screen on 3rd and 5. 

Our "lack of yards" was a direct impact of the 2 block punts, good KOR, and the fumble recovery at like the 12. 

It's also absolutely stupid for college football to count "sacks" as rushing yards. So dumb lol It's not a running play. 

Appreciate your analysis.  Obviously the quality of opponent was much different the first two weeks, but it seems the offense added more and looked more confident.  Guess we'll find out Saturday.