Cincinnati Pre-Game

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

You may be right, Scott.  Fickell, in the past, has said how much he and his family like Cincinnati.  So who knows.  He may value his family over a move...especially to LA.

I heard today that Fickell has 6 kids and that his son just committed to UC to play for his dad. I could see family winning out for sure, all things being equal.

On the other hand, Rick Neuheisel, who I really respect, called USC on e of the top 5 college coaching jobs in the country. Any coach, including Fickell, would be crazy for not at least listening 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I heard today that Fickell has 6 kids and that his son just committed to UC to play for his dad. I could see family winning out for sure, all things being equal.

On the other hand, Rick Neuheisel, who I really respect, called USC on e of the top 5 college coaching jobs in the country. Any coach, including Fickell, would be crazy for not at least listening 

He's from Columbus, so staying close to his home/parents may be important too.  And if by some strange circumstance the Ohio St. job becomes available...LOL.

I gave my wife 3 choices for her birthday, the IU UC game, Colts vs Rams game or whatever she wants. This weekend I will be the DD going to about a dozen wineries. Not that it is a bad time by any stretch but its not choices 1 or 2 for sure. Going to try and get her trashed at 1st winery in Nashville and trick her into tailgating in Bloomington.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

I have always been told in a game like this the home team gets 7 points... whether thats true or not, i dont know.

11 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Cincy ranked 8th, IU ranked 33 and we’re only a 3/5 point underdog if that’s still true! That Vegas doesn’t trust IU not to win !!! Hahaha 

Vegas is not trying to predict who wins. They create a point spread they hope drives 1/2 of the bets to be placed with one team and 1/2 of the bets with the other team. If the bet money is evenly split then Vegas is a no risk sure winner because of the juice (vig) they get.
They don’t adjust the spread during the week because they think a team has a better chance to win or lose but rather  to help drive more bets to a team that “needs” more bets in order to balance the action towards the desired 50/50 balance.

• Like 3

This game is huge on so many levels…

*win this and Iowa is a faded memory.

*the sporting nation does not completely believe the IU story. Win this noon game on ESPN and our defeat of the number 8 team in the nation will be nationally highlighted all day and night on ESPN, highlights/recaps etc

*a win would solidify our recruits belief that Allen has the train rolling. There might be a little bit of doubt if we get smoked by both Iowa and Cincy in our first 3 games. Want the Florida/southern guys to feel they made the right choice and show the Indiana kids (HELLO Mr. Curry) that the last 2 years were not a fluke.

*it will keep the mojo going with the team and program.

*Crowds….47k for Idaho was exceptional especially when you consider that we were blown out by Iowa and there were very few Idaho fans in attendance (ie we did not depend on 12k from UM,OSU etc).  Beating Cincy will help keep the students interested and with future single game ticket sales.

I’m pretty confident our defense will keep Cincy contained but am concerned about our offense, especially Penix and the OL. What a 180 degree difference from years past when we could score a ton but were unable to stop anyone.  Can’t wait for Saturday.

• Like 3

Took a look at the Cincinnati message boards.

They by and large seem to be very confident, borderline arrogant, that they are going to win this game by a comfortable margin.

I see a lot of citations of their stats and how their offense and defense ranks, completely disregarding that nearly all of those stats come against far, far inferior opponents than teams like IU or Iowa face day in and day out. 

Cincinnati is a really good team, and they may very well beat us, but OSU, PSU, or Iowa they are not.

I think for the first time in my life as an IU football fan, I can say this will also be the most hostile crowd any of the Cincinnati players have played in front of in the last two years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

Vegas is not trying to predict who wins. They create a point spread they hope drives 1/2 of the bets to be placed with one team and 1/2 of the bets with the other team. If the bet money is evenly split then Vegas is a no risk sure winner because of the juice (vig) they get.
They don’t adjust the spread during the week because they think a team has a better chance to win or lose but rather  to help drive more bets to a team that “needs” more bets in order to balance the action towards the desired 50/50 balance.

100% correct 

59 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

This game is huge on so many levels…

*win this and Iowa is a faded memory.

*the sporting nation does not completely believe the IU story. Win this noon game on ESPN and our defeat of the number 8 team in the nation will be nationally highlighted all day and night on ESPN, highlights/recaps etc

*a win would solidify our recruits belief that Allen has the train rolling. There might be a little bit of doubt if we get smoked by both Iowa and Cincy in our first 3 games. Want the Florida/southern guys to feel they made the right choice and show the Indiana kids (HELLO Mr. Curry) that the last 2 years were not a fluke.

*it will keep the mojo going with the team and program.

*Crowds….47k for Idaho was exceptional especially when you consider that we were blown out by Iowa and there were very few Idaho fans in attendance (ie we did not depend on 12k from UM,OSU etc).  Beating Cincy will help keep the students interested and with future single game ticket sales.

I’m pretty confident our defense will keep Cincy contained but am concerned about our offense, especially Penix and the OL. What a 180 degree difference from years past when we could score a ton but were unable to stop anyone.  Can’t wait for Saturday.

Crowd gotta bring it. Make it Iowa for Cinci. Dominate the first quarter and dig in. 

I'd win the toss and kick into the student section.. and let's roll. 

They move the ball best on best their O vs our D.. we were going to have a heckuva time winning anyways. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

My son just informed his mom that he was given 2 tickets to tomorrows game!

Guess who will be watching 3 kiddos??? 😉

Enjoy! We are headed down for Sparty/Ohio St week. Really wish we were attending this one. Not sure what part of the world you'll be driving from but if reports from last week are true...whatever you think early is if coming from the North. Add 45 minutes.

Still good Cincinnati tickets popping up on TOS ticket board.  Not too late as most if not all tickets are electronically transferable from IU ticket accounts. Make sure and check it out before buying on StubHub or other broker sites.  Folks looking to buy there too so keep your seats in the hands of IU fans!

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/board/ticket-exchange-bb-106112/

Go Hoosiers!!!!!!!

PS - I would tout the ticket board here but it is just not active so hoping site management doesn't mind their members being informed of good ticket opportunities.

Edited by eddy4iu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:10 AM, jv1972iu said:

From Wednesday Cincinnati Enquirer... Fickell quote..."Look, I don't talk to anybody.  I barely talk to my own family during the season.  So I wouldn't ever talk about it, nor would I even answer a phone call or anything like that.  I know nothing, nor does it make me have any interest."   Classic coach response.    😁

He may be telling the truth. Even if not, the best dishonest response is Saban. Said no at msu and went to LSu. Said no and went to Dolphins.

On 9/15/2021 at 4:50 PM, jv1972iu said:

You may be right, Scott.  Fickell, in the past, has said how much he and his family like Cincinnati.  So who knows.  He may value his family over a move...especially to LA.

Good point. I was in LA 30 years ago for a job interview and 5 years ago. Horrible place. Unless you like traffic smog and crowds

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm usually as optimistic as they come about IU football, but I just don't have a good feeling about this game. Unless the OL and Penix take a huge jump from week 1, I think we're going to struggle. Hopefully they can prove me wrong!

See i am the complete opposite. I see IU coming out fired up and wanting to prove that the Iowa game was an one-off. I think this game will put the Hoosiers right back on track for this season. 👍

• Like 1