2024 William Jobe

The Daily Hoosier

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2021 at 3:35 PM, dgambill said:

I mistoke Greg Oden for Bill Russell's dad once!

oden 2.jpg

oden.jpg

When I worked on the PGA Tour we played the pro-am with Bill Russell in Miami one year. Spent 6 hours with the guy and at the end I asked him for an autograph. He said No you'll just put it on ebay. I said you played against shoe sales men, you arent worth that kind of trouble. Tommy John did the same thing. The Pro I was working for had me get a couple of baseballs for him to sign. He said, after spending the day with him, send them to the Yankees, I only sign things through them. I threw the balls in the trash and said I dont want it that f'ing bad. Tommy then asked the pro I was working for to sign the group photo from the Pro-Am. My guy told him your nuts are bigger than the balls my man threw in the trash then he walked away. Was never more proud of him.lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

When I worked on the PGA Tour we played the pro-am with Bill Russell in Miami one year. Spent 6 hours with the guy and at the end I asked him for an autograph. He said No you'll just put it on ebay. I said you played against shoe sales men, you arent worth that kind of trouble. Tommy John did the same thing. The Pro I was working for had me get a couple of baseballs for him to sign. He said, after spending the day with him, send them to the Yankees, I only sign things through them. I threw the balls in the trash and said I dont want it that f'ing bad. Tommy then asked the pro I was working for to sign the group photo from the Pro-Am. My guy told him your nuts are bigger than the balls my man threw in the trash then he walked away. Was never more proud of him.lol.

I never understood why someone wouldn't take the 10 seconds to sign something b/c "you'll just put it on ebay" in these types of situations. You spent 6hrs with the dude before asking, only asked for an autograph (not like you were carrying around multiple jerseys or basketballs to sign) and does he really care that much if you kept it, made a shrine with it, or sold it for a little bit of $. 

Props to you and your Pro.

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I never understood why someone wouldn't take the 10 seconds to sign something b/c "you'll just put it on ebay" in these types of situations. You spent 6hrs with the dude before asking, only asked for an autograph (not like you were carrying around multiple jerseys or basketballs to sign) and does he really care that much if you kept it, made a shrine with it, or sold it for a little bit of $. 

One of the biggest jerks was Paul Newman. He wouldn't give you the time of day. 

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

1 word EGO. I am a huge Coach Knight fan no secret there and over the years he signed several items for me. The 1 thing that he wold not sign for me was an autographed pic of Coach Knight at Army with Coach K as a player. I had Coach K sign it and then a couple years later tried to get Coach Knight to and he said absolutely not after that prick signed it first.  I hate that I never got both signatures on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3